Balcones - Chip speaks

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ah, Winston speaks. . . . . . . .

You guys knew I was around, you could have asked me questions at any time :P

Seems like from the quotes that the rift was larger than just between Chip and Allen. Looks like buying out Chip was probably the best for everyone involved.

Look forward to Chip's next venture, and wishing Balcones well with the expansion.

Winston, now that this has been resolved, when is the next distillery event? Interested in trying the French Oak.

Seems like from the quotes that the rift was larger than just between Chip and Allen. Looks like buying out Chip was probably the best for everyone involved.

Look forward to Chip's next venture, and wishing Balcones well with the expansion.

Winston, now that this has been resolved, when is the next distillery event? Interested in trying the French Oak.

We're cooking that up now. It won't be an "event" like last time, this time we're doing a lottery and those chosen will be able to pick up the bottles at their convenience. Saves everyone the headache the last two or three events caused (due to limited availability).

We should be announcing it officially with all details next week.

Glad to see a resolution. Wish Chip the best of luck, and glad to see Balcones getting back to business.

Glad to see a resolution. Wish Chip the best of luck, and glad to see Balcones getting back to business.

Oh, business never stopped :) And we have an announcement coming out tomorrow!

Oh, business never stopped :) And we have an announcement coming out tomorrow!

Here's hoping it pertains to another bourbon release I occasionally read about...

It's a shame you guys banned Jimbo. His dissertations were the most accurate of any speculation I read anywhere.

That is really surprising. Well, I guess that is also a pretty low hurdle. It really seemed like he was on the Board's payroll, though.

Do you have thoughts you can share on longer aging or prices generally. The prices I saw as of this summer had gotten pretty high.

That is really surprising. Well, I guess that is also a pretty low hurdle. It really seemed like he was on the Board's payroll, though.

Do you have thoughts you can share on longer aging or prices generally. The prices I saw as of this summer had gotten pretty high.

As far as I know we haven't raised our prices lately (I think there was an incremental increase last year). As demonstrated repeatedly with rare whiskies, retailers will often take advantage of limited supply to jack the prices up. My suggestion would be to find a new retailer.

Not sure what you want to know about longer aging, but ask away.

Does Balcones plan to do any longer-aged whiskeys/bourbons primarily in large barrels, possibly in cooler storage? One of the things I was curious about is what the spirit might taste like if aged longer and slower. I think others were also curious about that, but now I don't see public posts on those lines. Previously, plans about those details were vague. Will there be more discussion of them now?

It's a shame you guys banned Jimbo. His dissertations were the most accurate of any speculation I read anywhere.

I'm glad you said this, Winston. Jimbo is a good writer and thinker who doesn't shrink from a debate.

I'm glad you said this, Winston. Jimbo is a good writer and thinker who doesn't shrink from a debate.

While there is some good info on his site I find his style to be overbearing and too full of himself which quickly gets to be annoying. And he did seem to be clearly trying to drive traffic to his blog where he tends to talk to himself just a little bit too much...

I also kinda thought Winston was being a bit tongue in cheek with his comment but perhaps I am wrong. Maybe Chip was as whacky as the original accusations from the board claimed he was. Although there seemed to be plenty of wackiness to go around between the two parties looking at it from way out here on the distant sidelines.

I hope you are prepared for the inevitable "the juice is not as good since Chip left" backlash.

No complaints so far.

Does Balcones plan to do any longer-aged whiskeys/bourbons primarily in large barrels, possibly in cooler storage? One of the things I was curious about is what the spirit might taste like if aged longer and slower. I think others were also curious about that, but now I don't see public posts on those lines. Previously, plans about those details were vague. Will there be more discussion of them now?

We've been using 60-gallon extra yard aged casks for over 3 years now. Several of our products (Single Malt, True Blue, Rumble Cask Reserve) are married into these large barrels after aging in the 5-gallon casks first, and we're also filling some big barrels right off the still.

As far as extra aging... well we'd have to re-engineer the whisky to accomplish that. The environment and the types of casks we use are very instrumental in allowing us to age quicker, to the point that a few months can mean the difference between awesome and sawdust. It's really up to Jared if we're ever going to take a stab at that. We're perfectly happy with making good whisky in less time :D

All that being said, we've been slowly transitioning to using more big barrels over time. When the new distillery goes online and we're making 10x as much spirit and there's no humanly possible way we can be evaluating >500 5-gal barrel samples a week for a blend. That's just ludicrous!

I should have said "the focus being put back on what Balcones is producing".

I'm sure you guys never stopped working, but I'm glad to see everyone moving forward. Where an we see tomorrow's announcement?

Coming out shortly via email, FB and Twitter.

I hope you are prepared for the inevitable "the juice is not as good since Chip left" backlash.

I think that's a legitimate concern. It's only fair to revisit Balcone's products post-Chip because the employees are making the product, not the board members. But, if they do decline in quality, just stop buying.

I'm looking forward to Chip getting back in the game at some point, but we'll probably have to wait at least a couple of years for a whiskey-type product.

I also love the word "deouchebaggery," which I agree applies to the board members in this case and will not soon be forgotten. In the end, no one will ever know what really went on here. I'm sure there are plenty of non-disclosure clauses preventing that. Rather than beat a dead horse regarding who won and who lost - I'll just say I'm glad its over.

I expect Winston and the others working there knew exactly what was going on.

As for the whisky, well, I can't see what's changed. It's being made, aged and blended by the same people who've been doing it all along.

I doubt it will actually change but I've been around long enough to know that when a distillery goes through a change as significant as this there is always a contingent that swears the old stuff was better.

Not sure what you mean by this

As for the whisky, well, I can't see what's changed. It's being made, aged and blended by the same people who've been doing it all along.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.