Balcones - Chip speaks

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What I meant is that the general public will probably never get the details an actual trial would have revealed. All of the details that were never put into the public discourse will remain unknown to us. That's a significant factor why litigants settle a dispute - because they do not want other people knowing those dirty little secrets that do not conform to the narrative put out by their lawyers, press people or their own biased opinions. This is especially true when there is public interest in the story which is applicable here. It should go without saying that Winston and the other distillery workers probably have more insight into what went on, but I doubt we'll get an expose by any of them. They have jobs and reputations that need to be maintained and taking a public stance for one side or the other, and potentially burning bridges, is probably not a wise course of action.

To say that the products will remain completely unchanaged when a key member of the team is removed - when that person founded the company and no doubt contributed meaningfully to the processes that resulted in the products' quality - is a bit shortsighted. That's like saying that the Denver Broncos would be the same team without Peyton Manning because they have the same 10 other offensive players, the same coaches and are running the same plays. Also, eventually moving from a whole slate of truly craft products to a more industrialized operation with all new stills and equipment, operating on a much larger scale, could also be a factor in the future - whether good, bad or indifferent - is yet to be seen.

It's a shame you guys banned Jimbo. His dissertations were the most accurate of any speculation I read anywhere.

I think the whiskey will change no matter if Chip was there or not. You don't have an expansion that increases production ten fold without change regardless of who's in charge.

Also, their products were already constantly changing, much like most craft distilleries. If you tasted a Baby Blue from 1st year of production to this year, that would be very apparent.

FWIW - Went to the store I know carries VOB BIB regularly (it's rare in WashDC) to load up @ $16 plus tax and to pick up a BT or two (on sale for $20 plus tax). Saw a Stagg Jr. so picked it up, too. The top shelf also had one each of the current Balcones offerings - each "on sale" @ about $3 of the regular store price. I shop there even though it's not close because (a) they usually have VOB, (B) sometimes have rare stuff I like, and © ALWAYS sell (a) and (B) at reasonable prices. Didn't buy any mostly because I saw them only on my way out.

My attitude is that the parties have settled their dispute, what was said was said, you can't unring a bell, but there is nothing to be gained by rehashing it or trying to dredge up new details. There is nothing to be gained by knowing more except to satisfy our voyeurism, which is a pretty small benefit for speculation and commentary that will inevitably be very hurtful to people who deserve more respect from us than that.

I think it's fair to say a Tate-less Balcones is a fundamentally different company. It should be judged on what it does going forward, just as Chip should be judged on what he does going forward. What they did together is on the record. It's what is to come that matters now.

All of the parties are to be commended for bringing it to a conclusion quickly and not compounding the damage already done. The most supportive thing we can do as fans is look to the future and hope both parties will do the same and thrive.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, this is getting stupid. Tate will spend more that $10K in attorneys fees even if the lawsuit was only about the debt. He should think objectively and just pay the money back because it's probably the cheapest option. The defamation suit is also strange because Tate is arguably a public figure, an argument his opponent will argue vociferously. If the judge rules that he is a public figure, not only would Chip have to prove that the alleged statements were false, he would have to prove that the false statements were made with intent and actual malice, which is a high hurdle (as opposed to merely proving negligence in making a false statement which is a lot easier if he were a non-public figure). Defamation suits brought by public figures are exceeding difficult to win. I like Chip's work, but he's showing himself to be a serial litigator who doesn't care about the money wasted in such endeavors. It's all very unfortunate.

Yeah, this is getting stupid. Tate will spend more that $10K in attorneys fees even if the lawsuit was only about the debt. He should think objectively and just pay the money back because it's probably the cheapest option. The defamation suit is also strange because Tate is arguably a public figure, an argument his opponent will argue vociferously. If the judge rules that he is a public figure, not only would Chip have to prove that the alleged statements were false, he would have to prove that the false statements were made with intent and actual malice, which is a high hurdle (as opposed to merely proving negligence in making a false statement which is a lot easier if he were a non-public figure). Defamation suits brought by public figures are exceeding difficult to win. I like Chip's work, but he's showing himself to be a serial litigator who doesn't care about the money wasted in such endeavors. It's all very unfortunate.
[emphasis added]

I don't know from this story whether Chip is the instigator in the latest drama, although it doesn't seem like good publicity for him - unless he actually is angling to be a reality TV personality. (I also don't agree with the saying that all publicity is good publicity.) Beyond the public figure context, if the relevant statements were made in court proceedings, I recall it being even more difficult to obtain damages than the generally high hurdle for defamation claims.

I haven't been following the story actively for a while, but I do recall seeing some provocative statements from Chip and his friends about a month ago. I understand feelings are raw, but I don't see how that path can lead to a good outcome.

I don't know from this story whether Chip is the instigator in the latest drama, although it doesn't seem like good publicity for him - unless he actually is angling to be a reality TV personality. (I also don't agree with the saying that all publicity is good publicity.) Beyond the public figure context, if the relevant statements were made in court proceedings, I recall it being even more difficult to obtain damages than the generally high hurdle for defamation claims.

I haven't been following the story actively for a while, but I do recall seeing some provocative statements from Chip and his friends about a month ago. I understand feelings are raw, but I don't see how that path can lead to a good outcome.

Looks like Chip filed the new lawsuit. You are correct that statements made in court proceedings are generally not actionable, however, this may vary state to state.

What I was saying is that, even if Chip filed the lawsuit, that doesn't mean he provoked the situation or that he is in the wrong by filing it, which the term "serial litigator" implies. I can't tell from the story who has the moral low ground in the latest dispute.

"Moral low ground" - I love it. That's what this has devolved to, figuring out who is more in the wrong :) I would say that by filing a lawsuit, Chip certainly provoked and escalated the latest situation. At this point, I really couldn't care less. I'm losing interest in Chip, Balcones and the whole lot pretty fast.

"Moral low ground" - I love it. That's what this has devolved to, figuring out who is more in the wrong :) I would say that by filing a lawsuit, Chip certainly provoked and escalated the latest situation. At this point, I really couldn't care less. I'm losing interest in Chip, Balcones and the whole lot pretty fast.

Can't say any of us wanted this to happen. We're hoping it's over soon, too.

Winston - I'd have to say you guys still at the distillery are collateral damage in all of this which is pretty unfair. The actions of others, at least for me, are are a downer. It would be great if everyone went their separate ways and did their thing.

• 1 month later...

Finally have some good news to report:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/blog/charm-city-flavor/2015/02/chip-tate-whiskey-buying-heavy-seas-equipment.html

This is pretty cool. I love Heavy Seas beer, and have done Hugh Sisson's tour, given that they are just right down the road. Maybe there will be a future collaboration?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.