What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any tips on what to filter with. I imagine there is going to be some wood/ash particles from the barrel.

A fine gold mesh or standard paper coffee filter (slow but effective) or a fine mesh tea strainer will usually work.

Made a Seelbach tonight. 1 oz bourbon, .5 oz cointreau, an a**load of bitters (technical term), stir and top with sparkling wine and garnish with an orange peel. Tasty!

Made a Seelbach tonight. 1 oz bourbon, .5 oz cointreau, an a**load of bitters (technical term), stir and top with sparkling wine and garnish with an orange peel. Tasty!

A steady flow of hot toddys. After spending 3 hrs at the Drs office yesterday was confirmed that both Mrstt and myself have the flu. First time in decades and it is no damn fun.

Last night we mixed up some "modified Rusty Nails" with St Germain instead of Drambuie, plus a little bitters:

2 oz Scotch (I used GlenDronach 12 because it seemed like the most appropriate thing I had open)

.75 oz St Germain (or other elderflower liquer)

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Pretty tasty. With the citrus flavor of the St Germain and the big sherry in the GlenDronach, it was really fruity. Maybe a bit on the sweet side.

Not sure if this counts as a "cocktail", but enjoying some aged egg nog this fine New Year's day. It is 3 weeks and 2 days old, and pretty damn tasty. I had to alter Alton Brown's recipe slightly (no cognac on hand, so I used some Glenmorangie 10yr in its place; no Jamaican rum on hand, so I used Amaretto but only half as much since it is strong - and I used half-again more bourbon to replace the volume of rum). Can't wait to see how it is in a few more weeks/months - made some smaller jars to age longer (I only made 1/4 the recipe, which makes about 4 servings). If it gets better - I'll make a larger batch this summer for the holidays!

http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

• 2 weeks later...

From the Knob Creek site I decided to spin off the "perfect manhattan" recipe, but I used woodford reserve, because I prefer knob creek neat.

2 oz bourbon

1/2 oz dry vermouth

1/2 oz sweet vermouth

1/2 teaspoon sugar

3 dashes Angostura bitters

1 maraschino cherry

ice cubes

Muddled the sugar and bitters, squeezed the cherry in there too. Added the rest and mixed it up. Pretty good, and I prefer cherry over orange peel because I find orange oils I find are over powering. Probably could go with just sweet vermouth, and decrease the amount of vermouth. 3 parts bourbon to 1 part vermouth (I prefer a vodka martini to this ratio too)

From the Knob Creek site I decided to spin off the "perfect manhattan" recipe, but I used woodford reserve, because I prefer knob creek neat.

2 oz bourbon

1/2 oz dry vermouth

1/2 oz sweet vermouth

1/2 teaspoon sugar

3 dashes Angostura bitters

1 maraschino cherry

ice cubes

Muddled the sugar and bitters, squeezed the cherry in there too. Added the rest and mixed it up. Pretty good, and I prefer cherry over orange peel because I find orange oils I find are over powering. Probably could go with just sweet vermouth, and decrease the amount of vermouth. 3 parts bourbon to 1 part vermouth (I prefer a vodka martini to this ratio too)

So, did you like it? Sounds like a Manhattan/Old Fashioned mash up and a bit sweet to me so I would probably bypass the sugar. The whole point of using the dry vermouth is to make it a bit drier in taste and the sugar seems to defeat that purpose. Not that it comes as a surprise for a recipe from a distillery website where they want the average cocktail drinker to like it and sweet probably appeals more than dry. A cherry is pretty much the classic garnish for a Manhattan and orange peel for an Old Fashioned although nothing wrong with mixing them up a bit.

Although I tend to prefer rye to make a Manhattan, perfect or otherwise!

So, did you like it? Sounds like a Manhattan/Old Fashioned mash up and a bit sweet to me so I would probably bypass the sugar. The whole point of using the dry vermouth is to make it a bit drier in taste and the sugar seems to defeat that purpose. Not that it comes as a surprise for a recipe from a distillery website where they want the average cocktail drinker to like it and sweet probably appeals more than dry. A cherry is pretty much the classic garnish for a Manhattan and orange peel for an Old Fashioned although nothing wrong with mixing them up a bit.

Although I tend to prefer rye to make a Manhattan, perfect or otherwise!

I'm a cocktail noob. Outside of mojitos in the summer, I stick to everything neat...and beer. I enjoyed it, and without sugar probably would of been a bit better. Tried one with Canadian whisky and it was way too weak...Rittenhouse Rye or Bulliet Rye would probably be better. 3 parts rye or bourbon to 1 part vermouth (sweet). Save the dry vermouth for vodka martinis.

I think that dry vermouth can play well with whiskey in the right combination but everyone's palate is different.

As for "vodka martini's" there ain't no such beast! That my friend is what you call a Kangaroo Cocktail! :rolleyes:

I think that dry vermouth can play well with whiskey in the right combination but everyone's palate is different.

As for "vodka martini's" there ain't no such beast! That my friend is what you call a Kangaroo Cocktail! :rolleyes:

As I said I'm new to trying to mix whisky with other stuff....I'm 38 and always thought of mixing whisky as sacrilege :hot:. Want to try something new so started mixing a few things. Let me know of a good recipe to try and I will. I do enjoy non-alcoholic drinks. Mixing lime, bitters, small amount of sugar (1/2 tsp) with club soda is refreshing. Soda pop has way too much sugar.

As I said I'm new to trying to mix whisky with other stuff....I'm 38 and always thought of mixing whisky as sacrilege :hot:. Want to try something new so started mixing a few things. Let me know of a good recipe to try and I will. I do enjoy non-alcoholic drinks. Mixing lime, bitters, small amount of sugar (1/2 tsp) with club soda is refreshing. Soda pop has way too much sugar.

The dry Vermouth makes me think of the Old Pal, which is nice though not my favorite. Last night I made a La Vina (can't make a tilde over the "n", dagnabbit) from the Death & Co. book:

1 oz Rye (they say Russell's Reserve, to which I say "Ha!"--I used Wild Turkey Rye)

1 oz Amaro Nonino

1 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry

1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

Very nice.

The La Viña sounds interesting. I got the Death & Co. book for Christmas but haven't explored it much yet.

The Old Pal is a good simple recipe for whiskey and dry vermouth but can indeed be a bit challenging. I sometimes cheat and sub Aperol for the Campari as Campari is not my favorite but that does make it a somewhat different drink.

The Old Pal

1½ oz Rye Whiskey

¾ oz Campari

¾ oz Dry Vermouth

Stir, strain and serve up.

The dry Vermouth makes me think of the Old Pal, which is nice though not my favorite. Last night I made a La Vina (can't make a tilde over the "n", dagnabbit) from the Death & Co. book:

1 oz Rye (they say Russell's Reserve, to which I say "Ha!"--I used Wild Turkey Rye)

1 oz Amaro Nonino

1 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry

1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

Very nice.

I ate at a very nice Brazilian steak house in San Antonio, Friday evening, Chama Gaucha. I ordered their specialty cocktail, the Caipirinha. It was one of the very best cocktails I have ever had. Somewhat similar to a daquiri, but bursting with flavors, especially from the cachaça (a sugar cane liquor), which is used in addition to rum.

Tim

More from Death & Co.

2 oz. Tanqueray No. Ten gin (I used Bombay)

3/4 oz. velvet falernum

1 oz. pineapple juice

1/2 oz. lemon juice

Green Flash IPA

1 mint sprig, to garnish

Short shake all the ingredients (except the IPA) with three ice cubes, then strain into a pilsner glass filled with crushed ice. Top with IPA.

A good drink, also visually pleasing. My wife loved it, though we'd already had a Jet Pilot and a Gold Cup, so who knows.

My new passion is a port Manhattan. Three parts rye (I like Ryan & Wood) , one part tawny port and a Luxardo cherry.

Just back home from a jam-packed 3 day biz trip to Chicago, and gathering my wits with my cocktail of choice so far in this New Year, a Boulevardier. I'm not the biggest sweet vermouth fan, so I have been cutting back proportions accordingly as I experiment, while going heavy on the whiskey. Tonight, it's 2oz Knob Creek Rye, 1 oz Compari, a Smidge over 1/2 oz of M&R Vermouth, and upon a recommendation, I dropped a couple shakes of Fee Bros Aztec Chocolare Bitters in there. Orange peel garnish. Just love this. :yum:

I don't usually do cocktails, but had a taste for one last night. I whipped up a Manhattan (not even sure if that's the correct name) 2 overflowing jiggers of EHTSB, 3/4 jigger of sweet vermouth, a couple of dashes of Angostura Bitters, shaken and served sans ice in a chilled martini glass. Very tasty.

@jvd99, yes, that's roughly a Manhattan.

Tim

Well, except for all that darned bourbon in your rye based cocktail...

:cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.