Willett XCF 103.4 Proof

The Good Sir
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone had this yet? I'm very curious and considering overpaying for a bottle. I think retail is $155.

Has anyone had this yet? I'm very curious and considering overpaying for a bottle. I think retail is $155.

I really wanted to try this but at such an excessive (IMNSHO) price I am having to reconsider (not so much because I can't afford another overpriced bottle, lord knows I have plenty of them! Just getting to the point where I don't want to support this price inflation anymore). I think it is 7yo MGP rye which Smooth Ambler has been selling for around $40 for excellent quality barrel proof bottles. The Grand Marnier connection is interesting but even if it spent years in those barrels it just can't be worth another $100.

Damned annoying. :smiley_acbt:

Edited by tanstaafl2

Don't forget the tube, you get a tube, so that's worth at least 50 bucks.

It's Willett so you know it will be popular even at $150. I'd like to try it, but lump me in the "it's way overpriced category."

It's a bit spendy. I think just adding a couple drops of Grand Marnier to a Smooth Ambler Old Scout Barrel Proof bottling pretty much does the trick

It's a bit spendy. I think just adding a couple drops of Grand Marnier to a Smooth Ambler Old Scout Barrel Proof bottling pretty much does the trick

I was thinking along these lines the other night. Just take one of my favorite pours and put a tiny bit of Grand Manier in there and I would probably have something even better.

Best regards, Tony

I tracked down two bottles (paid over retail, but what the hell) and look forward to trying this. I never regret buying a bottle, but if I bought two that turn out bad, that would suck.

I tracked down two bottles (paid over retail, but what the hell) and look forward to trying this. I never regret buying a bottle, but if I bought two that turn out bad, that would suck.

Do let us know if this is as spectacular as the price demands that it be! I beginning to warm to the idea of a perfectly delightful SA selection with a bit of Grand Marnier added...

Yeah, I saw that coming. :)

I like what I'm reading around the forums lately. A lot of heavy hitting spenders, formerly willing to buy $100+ bottles, getting tired of it and deciding to finally take action about no longer supporting this trend.

I'm still a beginner at buying finer bourbons, but I'm a fast learner, already have a satisfying bunker, and I have already crossed most of the $100+ bottles off of my shopping list, for the same reasons.

I don't hate on Willett at all - I respect Drew's abilities, and obviously they should sell their products for what they can get for them. The boom will end, and prices will fall back down again, and when that happens I'll again be their enthusiastic customer.

Until then, they won't miss my purchases and they'll sell everything they make, and I wish them success!

When SKU blogged about the label for this I was seriously excited. I like Willett's WFE line and thought this could be another way for them to experiment. Until the price. I've picked up some pricy bottles this year but I just couldn't pull the trigger on this if it was available to me. I hope it does sell well and people with more resources than me grab it but I just can't justify shifting my budget around for this. Sorry Willett, love your stuff but passing on this one.

Add another in the "Sounds interesting - look forward to hearing about it, or trying someone else's; can't pull the trigger at that price" camp. I don't knock them for pricing what they feel they can get for it (and I'm sure they'll sell every last bottle, and half or more of them will wind up on some other site going for even MORE). Just not interested in shelling out that kinds of dough.

Add another in the "Sounds interesting - look forward to hearing about it, or trying someone else's; can't pull the trigger at that price" camp. I don't knock them for pricing what they feel they can get for it (and I'm sure they'll sell every last bottle, and half or more of them will wind up on some other site going for even MORE). Just not interested in shelling out that kinds of dough.

:iagreejeff: err, Gary.

I like what I'm reading around the forums lately. A lot of heavy hitting spenders, formerly willing to buy $100+ bottles, getting tired of it and deciding to finally take action about no longer supporting this trend.

I'm still a beginner at buying finer bourbons, but I'm a fast learner, already have a satisfying bunker, and I have already crossed most of the $100+ bottles off of my shopping list, for the same reasons.

I don't hate on Willett at all - I respect Drew's abilities, and obviously they should sell their products for what they can get for them. The boom will end, and prices will fall back down again, and when that happens I'll again be their enthusiastic customer.

Until then, they won't miss my purchases and they'll sell everything they make, and I wish them success!

As disappointed as I am by the price of this I guess in the cold light of day I have to accept that producers are starting to charge more (especially the NDPs it seems) if the market seems to warrant it whether the value is really there or not (After all value is largely based on what someone will pay) and I suppose it is good they are getting a bigger cut of the flipper mark up for themselves. Although I am not convinced that is going to have any real impact on flippers. With things as they are currently in the whiskey market the flippers are likely to point to the MSRP and say that is more than enough justification to charge even more. And they will probably get it in this case as Willett has built up enough cachet to be considered a desirable brand name based on some of the quality bottles they have produced in the past.

BMH may be an interesting test case to see how long the name brand can support over inflated prices before the quality of the product begins to erode the value of the brand. No idea how well the new Oregon sourced whiskey is selling but I see it is sold out at K&L despite its $80 price tag. Not sure how much they had to start with.

Still disappointing though!

Seem overpriced to me so I'll probably pass, especially because I don't like overpowering orange notes in my brown water

You guys are being far too kind about the price. I think it's plain stupid and Willet is out of good whiskey anyway.

You guys are being far too kind about the price. I think it's plain stupid and Willet is out of good whiskey anyway.
Thank you... haha. I didn't want to be the one to say it first. I would almost go as far as to say this price is a slap in the face. I've paid for, and enjoyed, 12 and 13 year old bottles from Willett for $90-$110. I also snapped up their 2 year whiskey because it was good to see them getting some of their own stuff out. But this is ridiculous, really. Maybe they're trying to weed out the people who scoop up anything limited and "valuable" but I can't see any sense in this.

I would personally like to thank Willett and Diageo for shaking me loose from the "gotta catch em all" mindset.

Why is exploratory abbreviated with an X rather than an E.

Cause the kids think it's cool!

How about get some bitters and or vermouth. Make Old Fashions or Manhattans. You don't even have to use super fancy or expensive whiskey. I think that's what a lot of flavored or finished stuff tries to imitate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.