Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Sonoma-Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish

Underhilltab
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't think the board comments have been very favorable for this series over the last few years, but I read a very positive review or two on this latest version. I know it's BTAC and Pappy season, but any thoughts/tasting notes on this one?

not seen it yet. is it French oak? French oak finish lends interesting flavor if it comes through the wine. first Sonoma-Cutrer received mixed reviews.

Tried the new Woodford Masters Collection Pinot Noir finish at the Atlanta WoW event this weekend which didn't really strike me as something noteworthy. And I am an advocate for finished whiskey. But it doesn't always work! Finish seemed really rounded off with lots of wine acidity. Have to say it wasn't awful but not going to spend $100 on it so happy to get a chance to try it.

This is the only review I've seen of it:

http://www.drinkspirits.com/whiskey/review-woodford-reserve-sonoma-cutrer-finish/

Sounds more promising than the Chardonnay finished batch. I haven't seen any info on whether it's French or American oak.

Pretty amazing how they strike out so regularly. This is something that I might (stress might) try at like $30, but they are charging close to $100 for this. I could make multiple comparisons of why that is ridiculous, but currently, that is more than I paid for the PHC 8, a 13 year old, unique, delicious, cask-strength and non-chill filtered wheat whiskey. And, well, I don't like Woodford Reserve, and don't love Pinot Noir, so that sort of seals the deal as well.

I tried it at WF San Francisco and really didn't like it. I'd buy the Big Bottom releases before this. I've taste all of the WRMC releases (although I stopped buying them a while back) and this one was by far the worst. They did bad things to this poor bourbon. Bad things.

It has a great nose but it's finish is cheap brandy. Overall, an improvement over some of the masters collection but not a standout.

I've really soured on Woodford Reserve lately. One of the worst whiskey's I've ever had is their WRMC Maple Wood finish. This is an easy pass for me - especially at or close to $100.

I commend them for trying something different. A rye in Pinot noir barrels would be interesting too.

I've never had a bottle of any Woodford that I really enjoyed but I am a big old Old Forester fan. Now why is that?

I've never had a bottle of any Woodford that I really enjoyed but I am a big old Old Forester fan. Now why is that?

Different distilleries for one I suppose. Some portion of Woodford comes off their pot stills in addition to the more classic column still whiskey found in OF.

So did Babe Ruth and when asked about by a reporter is reputed to have said,"You can't hit if you don't swing". I'm not a Woodford fan but at least they're not some NDP pushing a sourced wine flavored mystery whisky at an inflated price.

Yeah but a 3 out of 10 average works in baseball. Not so much in whiskey distilling and I am not so sure the Masters Collection is even doing that well. Just a whole lot of foul balls!

I admire that they do keep trying! And I'm even more thankful that I've got you guys to tell me when it's time to lighten the wallet. :lol:

For now, I pass it every time I see it (and I see it everywhere I go).

Tried it tonight. It's interesting. Didn't really shout limousin, but could be. It's probably worth it to those that like experimentals.

Sounds like the Masters Collection didn't get the hit that they need more and more with each passing year.

I'd feel sorry for them if these were $60. But I've still got a burr in my saddle from the $100 I spent on the malt last year.

Sounds like the Masters Collection didn't get the hit that they need more and more with each passing year.

I'd feel sorry for them if these were $60. But I've still got a burr in my saddle from the $100 I spent on the malt last year.

My feelings exactly and on top of that I was so angry at myself I poured it down the drain

Lesson learned

My feelings exactly and on top of that I was so angry at myself I poured it down the drain

Lesson learned

Yikes! I never get quite that angry with booze no matter how bad it is or much I feel like I made a bad decision. I can almost always find some way to drink it!

So if that happens again feel free to send whatever it is on down I-75 a bit for "disposal"! :cool:

Yikes! I never get quite that angry with booze no matter how bad it is or much I feel like I made a bad decision. I can almost always find some way to drink it!

So if that happens again feel free to send whatever it is on down I-75 a bit for "disposal"! :cool:

Well it was just after a completely aggravating week of work but if that ever happens again, and I doubt it will because I will never buy anything again without researching it here first, I will roll it down the hill. :grin:

These are sitting on the shelves around here. I've tried a few of the past releases, but not these, and was not impressed. Unless I can get a sample for free at a tasting, I'll never know b/c I'm not shelling out that kind of cash when it's better spent elsewhere.

Had a taste of this at TPS. Not all that impressed. In my mind, the wine flavors just didn't play all that well with the bourbon. The only one of these experiments I liked was the Maple Finished one, and tasting this didn't change that. I'm happy Woodford keeps trying these, though, but not happy enough to shell out $80+ for a bottle. I'll just keep buying the regular WR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.