When will BT catch up?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I repeat, producers are prohibited from dictating distributor prices. What you may call 'gouging' is the invisible hand of the market working its magic. It's not a fireable offense. It's not even considered a bad thing. Think about what nightclubs charge for 'bottle service.' Regulators disfavor bottle service, but not because of the prices charged.

I repeat, producers are prohibited from dictating distributor prices. What you may call 'gouging' is the invisible hand of the market working its magic. It's not a fireable offense. It's not even considered a bad thing. Think about what nightclubs charge for 'bottle service.' Regulators disfavor bottle service, but not because of the prices charged.

$400 for a $20 bottle of vodka, don't get me started.

This also true with any manufactured product. Just try pricing something to a distributor in conjucntion with any other producer and see how fast Uncle Samm comes knocking on your door.

There are legal ways a producer can keep a distributor from undercutting the MSRP price, but not to prevent mark-ups. Regulators may set a price floor but never a price ceiling. There is, however, an exception for essentials during an emergency--such as gasoline after a hurricane--so I'm going to assume danz considers whiskey as an essential during an emergency, a fair assessment.

SB'ers are well prepared for whiskey shortages, so won't need FEMA handouts. Bunker few cans of corn with the bourbon and hold out for months.

There are legal ways a producer can keep a distributor from undercutting the MSRP price, but not to prevent mark-ups. Regulators may set a price floor but never a price ceiling. There is, however, an exception for essentials during an emergency--such as gasoline after a hurricane--so I'm going to assume danz considers whiskey as an essential during an emergency, a fair assessment.

Chuck, I do not. I think I chose the wrong forum for an economic discussion.

-Dan Z.

Edited by danz

It seems like DanZ is trying to talk economics and Chuck is telling the law side of things. Sounds like what you are saying Dan makes sense in theory, but isn't possible based on the law. Either way it doesn't sound like BT is ever going to tell off the people selling BTAC and pappy for crazy prices.

For any flipper reading this forum I hear good things about the rum business. Lots of aged (15-20+) bottles just 1 aisle over sitting on the shelf.

For any flipper reading this forum I hear good things about the rum business. Lots of aged (15-20+) bottles just 1 aisle over sitting on the shelf.

I second this...

I realize this was mostly a joke, but the rum world is much less regulated, and most age statements on rum aren't worth the label they're printed on. Some are.

I don't think rums are going to skyrocket. Certainly not before their oft-cited undervalued cousin, armagnacs

I realize this was mostly a joke, but the rum world is much less regulated, and most age statements on rum aren't worth the label they're printed on. Some are.

I don't think rums are going to skyrocket. Certainly not before their oft-cited undervalued cousin, armagnacs

Shush you!

Everyone knows rum is where the money is. Its the new Pappiez!

Shush you!

Everyone knows rum is where the money is. Its the new Pappiez!

I heard that flavored vodka is where the serious collectors are going.

I hear anything by Mohawk is the dusty to get.

Also, first edition Pie Hole has nowhere to go but up.

Not just any old flavored vodka, the vintage stuff.

+1. It was mostly a joke tot. It would be nice if something else took off though. That was my feeble attempt at getting it started. Maybe your Armagnac idea will be the one!

I have to wonder, if this isn't so much about catching up as it is a changed business model. BT used to put out some really nice mid-shelf brands. The empirical evidence is now they are all about $50 and up bottles and bottom shelf dogs & cats brands. The only exceptions are their flagship brand and ER. I'm just not a big fan of either of those.

Mr. Brown had a lot to do with JD going International. I wonder if his goal is to push into the International market. If so, things are moving slower than he'd hope. Taiwan, the #2 Whisky market and #1 in growth, does not have a BT agent. I can't get anything but Fireball, Kentucky Gentleman and spoiled Blantons over here AFAICT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.