Vatting Suggestions to Mirror VWFRR

awachatz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think the tanked stuff is about 50/50 bernheim/medley. The original 13 was, in fact, 13 years old, was medley and was bear identical to the (IMO) glorious Hirsch 13. At least that is what JVW indicated on this board years ago.

Thanks, I had forgotten all that. That just makes it even more unique. So if you guys can vat up something that matches it will be quite an accomplishment.

I've found saz 18 and Hirsch 21 vatted together comes pretty close! Not exactly helpful, though.

Pretty sure VWFRR old Bernheim juice that was tanked at 18yrs. Probably was not a particularly high rye mash bill and the rye notes are almost overtaken by the wood.

First thought would be ER10 with just a very small amount of V23 Rye would probably come close. Those are both a little hard to find and are so good on their own it would be a shame to use them in a vat that may not work.

Yes, the Vintage 23 rye is pretty much extinct out in the wild.

In my Avatar is the photo of a prohibition medicinal 18 yo rye I was lucky enough to find. The Vintage 23 has so far been the only current rye I've found with a flavor profile matching it nearly dead nuts on.

Indeed, I would hesitate to blend the V23 with anything other than the water in my mouth :cool:

So, trying to bring things back to earth, I tried a 50/50 of 354 rittenhouse and barterhouse. Average age is close to the 13 year original and I dare say it had some of the enjoyment.

As is my usual, I could not leave well enough alone and added some dsp-1 Ritts, and may have ruined it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.