A New Year's Present from Brown Forman: JD SB at Barrel Proof

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do we think the 100 proof is a placeholder, or is that what they're calling "barrel proof", since they can?

Do we think the 100 proof is a placeholder, or is that what they're calling "barrel proof", since they can?

If they pick the right barrels I bet they could release a 100 proof barrel proofer. I suspect it's just a placeholder, though.

JDSB at 100 proof? Hmmmm. Unless the 100 proof on the label is there just to satisfy regulations, it kinda sounds like BF is bringing their JDSS to the domestic market with a different label.

Joe

It's almost certainly a placeholder. Since it's SB, presumably, there would be different proofs for different barrels. You are allowed to change proof on a label without resubmitting a new label to the TTB so placeholders are common, especially on barrel proof offerings.

Well whadaya know, this is a bit of a surprise. Not my cup of tea exactly but I'm glad it's being offered.

I am glad to see this as well. Hopefully, this will help to drive the market away from things I'm interested in. :rolleyes:

I have never, ever, enjoyed JD, however the idea of a barrel proof offering intrigues me because it's probably the only shot BF has to change my mind. One would hope that they find some honey barrels to avoid mediocre whiskey becoming concentrated mediocrity.

I am glad to see this as well. Hopefully, this will help to drive the market away from things I'm interested in. :rolleyes:

This. I'm actually interested to try it, but more interested in that if JD is getting in the business of higher proof offerings it means everyone else will be heading that direction as well.

... if JD is getting in the business of higher proof offerings it means everyone else will be heading that direction as well.

No danger of that happening for Canadian Whisky :lol:

(at the same time the highest volume American Whiskey puts out a single barrel/barrel strength offering, the highest volume Canadian Whisky puts out a 75th anniversary edition at the bare minimum 40% abv with a different colour bag/box, and a fancy gold (errrr .... plastic) crown bottle stopper .... at twice the price of regular Crown Royal :rolleyes: )

Sigh. Gonna pass on this one. As sku said, just too much banana for me.

I do however believe in always having a bottle of Jack on hand for that friend who comes over wanting a Jack and Coke. The saddest thing in the world is to have to mix your fine bourbon into coke to satisfy a friend all for want of some JD!

When bars/restaurants around here don't really have much in the way of good bourbon, there's a fair chance they'll have a bottle of JDSB, so it's kind of become my go to in those situations (or MM).

I'll give this a try, provided the price is not too far out of whack.

I don't get any banana in the SB, could just be me

My take on the whole banana taste is more like a "different" type of maple syrup flavor. IMHO, the flavor is less apparent as you move up the JD chain. Very noticeable in regular JD, a little less so in Gentleman Jack, and very slight in JDSB. I don't taste it at all in the JDSS though.

"Placeholder". Love learning new terms.

I thought "placeholder", was the backup quarterbacks job.....:lol:

Memories. When I moved from beer to bourbon in the early 1970s, JD @ 90 proof got me, and I remained faithful. When they dropped to 86 in the late 1980s, I started cheating. When they dropped to 80 in 2002, I left. I've tried GJack and the other specials, but nothing triggered those memories. Maybe this one . . .

But, if I were a betting man, . . .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.