A New Year's Present from Brown Forman: JD SB at Barrel Proof

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Memories. When I moved from beer to bourbon in the early 1970s, JD @ 90 proof got me, and I remained faithful. When they dropped to 86 in the late 1980s, I started cheating. When they dropped to 80 in 2002, I left. I've tried GJack and the other specials, but nothing triggered those memories. Maybe this one . . .

But, if I were a betting man, . . .

Harry,

I know what you mean. I had the opportunity to drink some JD from 1968 last week and it bore exactly no resemblance to the current product. The '68 wasn't at all sweet, it didn't taste of artificial banana, the mouthfeel was great, and it had a long, flinty finish almost like champagne. All that and 90 proof, too.

That said, I've had some very nice bottles of JDSB, and will almost certainly give this barrel strength version a try. It's hard to be optimistic about what it'll cost, but what else is new?

I can't help but think that the success of the GD 9y (103p) and 14y (106p) had something to do with this. It wouldn't surprise me if their is a big push for store selects barrels. That would be a good thing.

I can't help but think that the success of the GD 9y (103p) and 14y (106p) had something to do with this. It wouldn't surprise me if their is a big push for store selects barrels. That would be a good thing.

Considering how many barrels they have and how many warehouses (do they call them rickhouses in Tennessee?), picking just one could be a lifetime job. I think I could handle it.

Out of all the Jd line up, the only one I like to have on hand is the JdSB, I like 'em a lot... As long as the price is fair ...I'm all in.

. . . . picking just one could be a lifetime job. I think I could handle it.

Let me know if you need any help.

Was just thinking the same thing. I initially liked my TPS GD 9, but the more I worked through the bottle, the less I cared for it, so I would not pay significantly more for a JDSBBP.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.