What bourbon did you pour out today?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So...there are threads here about what people bought, didn't buy, currently drinking, what they just finished, etc.

I saw this post from Chuck Cowdery a couple of days ago:

...I get a lot of bad whiskey. Not bad, necessarily, more like 'meh?' But I can't bring myself to pour it out. Today, I did it. Just one bottle, but it's a start. ... Life is too short for 'meh?' whiskey.
Edited by GrPeMi

Gr I can honestly say I have never poured out a bottle. I've had a few bad ones that were 'corked' but those were returned to the store.

I've also had some that I just plain didn't care and set those aside figuring I'd find a use for them someday, but then I've always taken a long term approach.

Today - none. But I have dumped bottles before, following Chuck's logic that life is too short for meh whiskey. I know some folks would gasp and wonder why you don't use it for cocktails, etc - but if I'm going to take the calorie hit associated with drinking (whether neat or in a cocktail), I'm drinking what I enjoy. To drink crap just because I already paid for it seems silly to me (I paid for it whether I drink it or dump it; money over the dam at that point).

Is it US whiskey? If so can't pour it out: UnAmerican. If you pour out good old 'Merican whiskey, well, you're just a frickin Communist.

Drink it.

Not today, but I once watered a plant in a hotel lobby with a small glass of Ten High. I ordered it while at a budget hotel that offered free cocktails in the breakfast area. The hostess apologized as she dispensed it from a machine similar to a soda fountain. I made it about 1/2 way through but couldn't finish it.

I haven't poured it out yet, but I have a bottle of Rock Town small batch that I really hate. I think about dumping it all the time.

Thinking of pouring out a family size bottle of Fleischmann's rye, but I have not tried it yet and will probably wait until I work up the willingness to have some first.

only Overholt have I poured down the drain, though I am currently considering dumping the EC12 storepick I bought last month. Ive had EC12 many times and enjoyed it, but whoever picked this barrel has no business doing so.

Never dumped anything I've bought or acquired, but came across a bottle of Corby's when cleaning out my arenas' house after both had passed. Not even bourbon, I don't think, but an old blended product. Didn't smell that good. Down the drain. My dad, bless his soul, was not a whiskey drinker and apparently not much of a judge of it either. Likely bought it if any guests wanted it. I was known to bring my own when visiting.

only Overholt have I poured down the drain, though I am currently considering dumping the EC12 storepick I bought last month. Ive had EC12 many times and enjoyed it, but whoever picked this barrel has no business doing so.
A store near me did an ER10 pick awhile back. The sample I tried tasted like toothpicks and charcoal briquettes. I'm not sure who picked that barrel, but I can't imagine they were sober when they did it.

I can't say I've ever poured any bourbon down the sink. The one I was tempted to for a long time was Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon. Local (Houston) product, 100% corn, aged for 6 months in mini-barrels. I ended up cooking it into some chili, which turned out very tasty. I'd recommend that as a great method for getting rid of stuff you can't bring yourself to drink (although be very careful cooking with high-proof liquor!), but of course find something else (cheaper) to use if you're buying specifically for cooking.

ive used a lot of less-than-enjoyable bourbon by mixing it into my habanero bbq sauce.

This thread will probably get a lot of "not today, but there was that one time...." responses for a few days and then go quiet.

I'll chip in with one of those responses. I've stuck with some bottles I really didn't enjoy, but there was only one that I poured out - Johnny Drum Black Label (86 proof). I was trying to stick it out and finish it, but squire and TT (or maybe it was Harry) talked sense into me and I poured out the last half of it. I don't regret it for a second.

Is it US whiskey? If so can't pour it out: UnAmerican. If you pour out good old 'Merican whiskey, well, you're just a frickin Communist.

Drink it.

UH-oh

((logging entry in Rain Man style 'Serious Injury List' . . . "Number 3 in 2015 - Bill called me a commie and hurt my feelings" . . . .)) :lol:

I was trying to recall an example, for context - and current Old Overholt is one that comes to mind. I'd have bought a 50 mL to try it if I could, and after trying it - I let it sit for months to see if it improved (or my tastes changed). Never got any better. Or - a dusty that had turned (I remember my initial tasting notes included gems like "Wet, fermenting cardboard . . . and maybe a hint of wet dog?" on a dusty OC that had apparently seen too much sunlight on the shelf). I'm all about freedom, which for me - includes pouring that crap out.

Now if it is something I just don't like - it winds up at a community table with a "free to good home" sticker on it :)

In the past, I have cleaned the garbage disposal with a WR four grain, a Clyde May and a corked blanton's. tim

I pour all of my bourbon out . . . of the bottle into my glass. (Que Rimshot)

I've never bought anything that couldn't be doctored into a cocktail or be used as a soft drink enhancer for my guests. Woodford Double Oaked would win my prize for closest to getting dumped if that counts for anything.

I don't pour it out exactly but wifey is a fan of whiskey and ginger so things I don't care for go in the "here honey use this bottle next" pile. You would be surprised what enough Canada Dry can cover up.

I've really never bought anything that I hadn't, at least, gotten one recommendation from here.

If I find myself not rotating to the open bottle, I take it to the cigar shop where we all can "enjoy" it.

Like some others here I have never poured out any bourbon. Can do so much with it, make egg nogg, bourbon and ginger ale, bbq sauce, bananas foster, bourbon and lemonade, bourbon glaze for steak, candied bacon with bourbon, other drink mixes, and probably much more.

Best regards, Tony

The first time I tried Dickel No. 12 I was pretty close to pouring it out. Really couldn't handle the overpowering chewable vitamin flavor of that first pour. After that it either mellowed or I got used to it, though.

Closest I ever came was WRMC Maple Finish. I ended up chocking it down but looking back - I should have just dumped it. The maple was so prominent - you couldn't hide it in a cocktail or mixed drink. Ugh - I cringe just thinking about it.

The first time I tried Dickel No. 12 I was pretty close to pouring it out. Really couldn't handle the overpowering chewable vitamin flavor of that first pour. After that it either mellowed or I got used to it, though.

Haha, I came close to pouring out Dickel 12 too! I thought better of it and just left it at a gathering. I assume someone picked it up and took it home.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.