What bourbon did you pour out today?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When Rogue Dead Guy whiskey was introduced, I ordered a shot at a bar. One sip was enough.

Closest I ever came was WRMC Maple Finish. I ended up chocking it down but looking back - I should have just dumped it. The maple was so prominent - you couldn't hide it in a cocktail or mixed drink. Ugh - I cringe just thinking about it.

Should have made some pancakes or waffles.

Should have made some pancakes or waffles.

Or maple bacon! I've had some done with Crown Maple before and it was tasty.

Never dumped anything I've bought or acquired, but came across a bottle of Corby's when cleaning out my arenas' house after both had passed. Not even bourbon, I don't think, but an old blended product. Didn't smell that good. Down the drain. My dad, bless his soul, was not a whiskey drinker and apparently not much of a judge of it either. Likely bought it if any guests wanted it. I was known to bring my own when visiting.

I've never poured anything out, but after two pours (had to at least give it a second chance), I gave a bottle of 2013 Garrison Brothers when my Stepson and his buddies were stocking their home bar.

They won't drink it either, but have managed to get rid of about half of it during various social events at their place.

I've been gifted a couple of very peaty scotches that ended up being re-gifted.

I've never poured anything out, but after two pours (had to at least give it a second chance), I gave a bottle of 2013 Garrison Brothers when my Stepson and his buddies were stocking their home bar.

They won't drink it either, but have managed to get rid of about half of it during various social events at their place.

I've been gifted a couple of very peaty scotches that ended up being re-gifted.

regifting is how Ive gotten rid ow unwanted scotches and bourbons. some day i will be amused to be given it back full-circle

regifting is how Ive gotten rid ow unwanted scotches and bourbons. some day i will be amused to be given it back full-circle
I occasionally "go shopping" in my bunker as well. Everybody wins!

Alright guys, never thought I would post in this thread, but tonight.... I tried some dusty old JBW ('70 vintage... around there) out of a 50 ml. bottle,... right off the bat the nose was wrong, like some old playboy magazines that you had in some boxes up in the attic, well despite the nose I went in for the taste anyways.....tasted like old playboy magazines that you had in a box in the attic......well you can guess the rest.... down the drain it went, which that one taste wrecked the rest of the evenings pours.. I just couldn't get it out of my taste buds.

The only good thing that came out of it , is we did a SbS with the new JBW and that tasted really good! go figure!....

• 4 weeks later...

Just the other night, a 2005 Eagle Rare 17. Corked, tainted by TCA from the original cork. Held out hope for weeks - maybe it just needed air (lol). Tried the old trick of pouring over some saran wrap, which reduced the wet cardboard odor and taste but the resulting pour was stripped of anything else remotely resembling ER17. It sat taunting me in the bar for a few weeks before it went down the drain, a healthy and delicious 2014 botte opened in memory.

Just the other night, a 2005 Eagle Rare 17. Corked, tainted by TCA from the original cork. Held out hope for weeks - maybe it just needed air (lol). Tried the old trick of pouring over some saran wrap, which reduced the wet cardboard odor and taste but the resulting pour was stripped of anything else remotely resembling ER17. It sat taunting me in the bar for a few weeks before it went down the drain, a healthy and delicious 2014 botte opened in memory.

Jim Beam White. I got some early on to SBS with Evan Williams and JD as a baseline calibration set, that's before I knew wheaters were a thing or MM would have joined that party. Couldn't get past that JBW several tries over several weeks finally threw in the towel.

On a non bourbon note I had the misfortune of sipping the Kraken at a party a couple of years ago, there was no whiskey to be had and this was as close as the host could come. I had never had it before and will never again, it damn near came back up after a couple sips it was so vile. I think even the drain backed up after I poured it out!!

Just once, perhaps 15 years ago. I had a bottle of Fighting Cock that was so foul I poured it out and got a round of applause from my friends (yes, we were blasted!) It occurred to me some time later there there had to have been something wrong with that bottle. Larry Kass at Heaven Hill sent me a replacement and it tasted like ... bourbon!

Makes a pretty good case for everyone doing away with natural corks. Have you let the folks at BT/Sazerac know?

You know, this was my first bottle of bourbon, or any other alcoholic beverage other than wine, that has been corked. I've let the producers of the tca afflicted wine know when I've bought the product directly from them, they (hopefully) want to gather data and make future decisions based on it. It makes sense to do it in this case as well, it just had never crossed my mind prior because I think of there being a corporation behind the product over a small producer. But regardless, they should hear about it and anyone else having problems - changes can be made to avoid situations like this.

Edited by Travis D

I've only been in this hobby about a year now and I haven't poured anything out yet. With that being said, I have had a couple bottles that I bought when I first started that I found recently I don't care much for anymore now that my palate has expanded. I had about a 1/3 of a bottle of EWSB '03 and half a bottle of ER10 that I just didn't really enjoy anymore so I poured them together along with the last dregs of Maker's Mark and Gentlemen Jack. I let it sit for about a month and tried a pour last week. While not bad, it just isn't something that I am going to enjoy a full pour of. So, it has officially been relegated to "cooking whiskey."

• 3 weeks later...

I dumped what I had left of a bottle of Rebel Yell. I didn't even enjoy it mixed with coke. At least it was cheap....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.