$199 etl ?!?

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped in a upper tier liquor store in Myrtle Beach SC and was astonished by this.

post-5814-14489822077498_thumb.jpg

(Sorry about the side ways pic but can't figure out how to correct on iPad.)

At first I thought bottle in wrong place but checked shelf tag and confirmed. Owner said it was very rare.

That is crazy. I live on the east end of Long Island NY where price gouging is the norm. But was able to pick up a bottle of ETL last week for $39. Same store had Stagg jr for $100.00 had to pass on that one.

Hhhmm. The one I bought last week looks just like yours - for $34 plus tax. Yeah, it could be considered rare. The store I was in had dozens of JBW but only four of these, so comparatively . . .

That's the normal ETL. It should be around $35. I believe it has a couple of big distribution shipments per year, so it should show up regularly, but people are hoarding it now, so it may sell out quickly. It is fairly priced at about $35. It doesn't seem worth paying significantly more. The commemorative bottle should be about $40, also fairly priced, based on the one I had.

I think I paid $35 plus tax for mine. Frankly, I don't really like it, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

I think I paid $35 plus tax for mine. Frankly, I don't really like it, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

The ETL is decent but I don't think it is worth the hype it gets.

That store owner should be slapped to his sense's. Yes rare as in now because of short supply but that should end some time soon. Not a fan when they abuse like that.

The ETL is decent but I don't think it is worth the hype it gets.
I think it was hypeworthy if you found it on sale for 25-30 bucks. Then again I've seen ORVW 10 for $200-$300, and those used to be within a few dollars of one another. Can you believe that ORVW, PVW23, GTS, ER17, and a few others sat on the shelf for a couple weeks at Perfect Pour as recently as fall 2012 @ $10-$20 over MSRP. How quickly times have changed, even to a newbie like myself.

What really blows my mind is that people will buy a store out of ETL for $50-$60 and leave Rock Hill Farms to gather dust at basically the same price. I know they have a different flavor profile, but wow. Just wow. Makes me glad for the mid shelfers like Henry McKenna 10 that can still be found for sub $30.

The April ETL release is going to be interesting. Will the bunkers be full enough now for it not to be swarmed? Probably not. Seems there's going to be a lot of pressure on this release. I'm thinking this might be the last swarmed release, though. A lot of the hardcores already have this bunkered.

I'm thinking this wave will be snapped up by the later-to-the-party guys, and after that for future releases pretty much everyone who cares will already have a stash, and it will be back to regularly available again.

Lately I'm really getting the sense of it being the darkness before the dawn when it comes to the 7-8yr products... OWA and ETL, I'm looking at you.

Lots to drink in the meantime. I'm pretty sure with the amount of shopping I do I'll get one or two of 'em at a good price, which is more than enough to get me through until the next release.

I managed to get a few Comms, but don't particularly want to burn through those as daily drinkers.

Yep. I know the one you're talking about. I was there in June, and they were doing the same thing.

hmm, this weekend i went and found 2 bottles of ETL for $30 each as well as Stagg Jr. (batch 3) for $43.

hmm, this weekend i went and found 2 bottles of ETL for $30 each as well as Stagg Jr. (batch 3) for $43.

Nice find. That's a good price for ETL.

A local store near me had been selling ETL for $25 until it recently disappeared. Hopefully they are able to get some more in April and keep the price below $30.

I've seen it at other stores in NJ at $29.99.

Wow, I guess there is some advantage to living in a liquor control state. We might have limited or no access to some products, but at least with the state setting the prices there's no gouging on the retail level. It does happen in bars here though. I recently went to a local whiskey bar and looking over their list I was shocked to see OWA at $18 and WSR at $20. That was for a 2 oz pour and I know they paid $20 and $16 for the bottles. The funny part was that they had WLW listed next at $24.

Like the original poster, I am also in SC. I have never seen ETL for under $59. My go-to store always has it. Would love to try it but no way am I paying that much for it.

Hidden

picked up a store select ETL last week. Depending on how I like it, may go back and get the rest along with the store select OWA.

I know the store in Myrtle Beach you are talking about. I was in there in January to buy an ECBP. It was overpriced but only by about 30%. I noticed the ETL but passed. I saw an ETL at one of the Liquor Barn annex stores in Louisville last year that was also over $150. It was in the display case. Glad I have plenty of ETL bunkered from several years ago.

I know the store in Myrtle Beach you are talking about. I was in there in January to buy an ECBP. It was overpriced but only by about 30%. I noticed the ETL but passed. I saw an ETL at one of the Liquor Barn annex stores in Louisville last year that was also over $150. It was in the display case. Glad I have plenty of ETL bunkered from several years ago.

sometimes i feel silly for bunkering readily available stuff, then i read stuff like this. most of us wouldve thought it foolish to bunker ETL 5 years ago

sometimes i feel silly for bunkering readily available stuff, then i read stuff like this. most of us wouldve thought it foolish to bunker ETL 5 years ago

Yes to this. With ETL, it's become a case of availability (or lack thereof). With others, it's a case of price increases. I have a bunch of 4R Private Selection bottles in the bunker, of various recipes, that I purchased in the low to mid $50 range. With them now showing up in the low $70's as the new norm, I'm glad I did that.

Yes to this. With ETL, it's become a case of availability (or lack thereof). With others, it's a case of price increases. I have a bunch of 4R Private Selection bottles in the bunker, of various recipes, that I purchased in the low to mid $50 range. With them now showing up in the low $70's as the new norm, I'm glad I did that.

I wonder in the case of ETL, Sazerac plans to release in April and September. I would imagine they would release whatever supply is ready to its distributors. Is it the distributor that is "holding" onto the supply and "allocating" to its retailers ?

I wonder in the case of ETL, Sazerac plans to release in April and September. I would imagine they would release whatever supply is ready to its distributors. Is it the distributor that is "holding" onto the supply and "allocating" to its retailers ?

The distributors aren't holding onto the supply, but they are allocating it. It's in short supply because it became more popular than BT was ready for and they don't have enough mature barrels of it to meet demand so it sells out before more is ready to be bottled. It gets good reviews and good press so because it sells out quickly some stores decide to jack up the price in an attempt to make it more than it is.

• 2 weeks later...

That is CRAZY!!!! But try looking at the secondary maket for bottles

and we see where this is taking us. Don't have the money anyway!:hot:

It is crazy and the folks who jump on the bandwagon could ruin an excellent $30 bottle for the rest of us. Wonder what the sales pitch is for $199 ETL. Same with W12. I saw it listed for $99. Good luck bunkering for the April release

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to the local sales rep yesterday. He said ETL has a expected relaese date of 4/17 here in central NJ.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.