$199 etl ?!?

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elmer T Lee hoarding is the dumbest thing in bourbon right now, even dumber than Jefferson's "I'm on a Boat" bourbon. Like others have said ETL is a good bourbon for $35 or so, but bunkering it? Paying double SRP or more? That's insane and is the best example of how a few boneheads are ruining this hobby for everybody.

I think this is such a shortsighted strategy for liquor stores. Long after the bourbon boom sorts itself out, many people like the folks who post on SB are still going to be buying bourbon while many others have moved on to the next big thing. I know I've already stopped going to one store that's raised its prices unreasonably and won't go back until their prices are more in line with other stores if I go back at all.

Elmer T Lee hoarding is the dumbest thing in bourbon right now, even dumber than Jefferson's "I'm on a Boat" bourbon. Like others have said ETL is a good bourbon for $35 or so, but bunkering it? Paying double SRP or more? That's insane and is the best example of how a few boneheads are ruining this hobby for everybody.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "Bunkering".

Buying multiple bottles in an attempt to profit on the grey market does contribute to "ruining" the hobby.

On the other hand, finding multiple bottles at retail and socking a few away (to help thwart those scalpers), I have no problem with.

Paying $200 for ETL is just ridiculous, but ETL used to be my "daily drinker", so you can bet if I see 12 bottles on the shelf at MSRP, I'm taking 6 of 'em home.

(I have NO bottles of I'm On A Boat Bourbon :cool:

Edited by kjbeggs

Paying $200 for ETL is just ridiculous, but ETL used to be my "daily drinker", so you can bet if I see 12 bottles on the shelf at MSRP, I'm taking 6 of 'em home.

And I'm taking the other 6! It was my everyday pour as well.

Motive doesn't really come into it. It started with a handful of people buying up all they could because they thought it was going to be discontinued or changed when Elmer died or for whatever weird reason. Then others started buying all they could because it was harder to find because of the original hoarders, then it just snowballs into the cluster...bomb...we have now.

To put it another way, the initially mistaken idea that ETL was rare became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It ruins the hobby because it turns what used to be an easy - drinking entry level single barrel expression into another Van Winkle - like goose chase product. That drives prices up and people away.

I saw its big brother, Rock Hill Farms the other day for the same price, in the coveted "glass case" at my local. (oooooooohhhhh, the glassss case!! Aaaaaaah!) I've all but given up on PVW and the BTAC these days, but when people start taking advantage like that on the normal releases, I just want to call them out for all the world to know.

Sad, because I used to like that store. They used to be reputable and I used to routinely pick things up there even at a couple dollars over where I could get it cheaper just to be a regular, and for their good service. It's all for nothing now.

And I'm taking the other 6! It was my everyday pour as well.

Guilty, especially @ MSP.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.