What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

SAOS Single Barrel Cask Strength (58.4%) 8 YO Rye from Ezra's. I have been looking for something to approach THH Rye that can be found more readily at retail at a reasonable price - and this comes as close as anything I have had. The combination of focused rye spice and that savory/rancio character is really hitting the spot. Bought two from Ezra's and have two more coming from Ace's. Buying this sight unseen is a bit of a risk, but none of the stores I frequent in NJ have done private barrels of Smooth Ambler and I haven't seen any at a bar - not even the standard offerings.

Well done - if that won't cure what ails ya . . . pour another :)

Couple oz of Lot 40 on a Wednesday night for me.

How is the Lot 40?

Really don't see to many around me.

Thanks,

jake

How is the Lot 40?

Really don't see to many around me.

Thanks,

jake

Fair amount of it on the east side of town last I checked

After morning of bourbon I have settled into an afternoon of rye. WT101 and SAOS. I really enjoy the SAOS more but what's left on the shelves is now $41.99 and it's that much better than the WE101 IMO. In fact JEP at $31.99 beats them both, need to stock on this before they dry up like the SAOS.

After morning of bourbon I have settled into an afternoon of rye. WT101 and SAOS. I really enjoy the SAOS more but what's left on the shelves is now $41.99 and it's that much better than the WE101 IMO. In fact JEP at $31.99 beats them both, need to stock on this before they dry up like the SAOS.

Are time that tough that we need to stock up on JEP rye now?

You want the good stuff for the bunker and plenty of JEP to use to barter for ammo to fight off the brain (and liquor) seeking zombies when the apocalypse arrives... :grin:

I'm just guessing if the SAOS stock is running out how long before the JEP does too?

What I really need to do is pick up a couple RITTBIB before its price rises because it seems like rye price increases are outpacing bourbon ones.

Of course I may just be paranoid. If good/great rye is $50 I'll just have to pay it.

The JEP only has a 2-year age statement, so it's going to be a lot easier for them to forecast.

You want the good stuff for the bunker and plenty of JEP to use to barter for ammo to fight off the brain (and liquor) seeking zombies when the apocalypse arrives... :grin:

That explanation is good enough for me. Making my shopping list now.........

finally got around to opening up the willett 8 yr rye.

had some friends over to celebrate a few of our birthdays. enjoyed a 35 day dry aged ribeye, some cuban cigars and many many pours from the bar. all in all, a great evening

Last evening, opened and took my first sip of Astor's cask strength SAOS rye. Definitely a big and brooding rye that needs to get some airtime under its belt. It was excellent though. Definitely a lot going on with this rye.

Jeffrey: I missed the Astor selection, but got bottles from Ezra's and Ace Spirits. Have sampled both, just not side by side. Very impressed with both but each has a unique profile: the Ezra's selection is lower in proof and has a Handy-like character, while the Ace's selection is a beast with a buttery/peppery profile overshadowing the rye spice. If you don't mind: what proof is your bottle? Thanks, EV

Hey EV. I picked up a couple of bottles of the Astor cask strength rye during their father's day sale, before it disappeared. Unless you hear otherwise from me when I check at home, I believe it is 63.4%, thus 126.8 proof.

Hey EV. I picked up a couple of bottles of the Astor cask strength rye during their father's day sale, before it disappeared. Unless you hear otherwise from me when I check at home, I believe it is 63.4%, thus 126.8 proof.

In actuality, the Astor bottles I have are 63.8%, 8 years old, Barrel No. 732, bottle date 1/16/15.

In actuality, the Astor bottles I have are 63.8%, 8 years old, Barrel No. 732, bottle date 1/16/15.

Having some of that bottle right now. Spicy and floral, with a dark chocolate note.

Thanks Jeffrey. The Ezra's bottle (barrel 1465/bottled 6/12/15) is 58.4% and the Ace's bottle (barrel 1367/no bottle date) is 60.7%. Both are 8 years. Is it unusual to see such a wide variation in proof among barrels of the same age? Could there be some variation in proof when they went into the barrel? Too bad they don't provide warehouse location on the bottle.

Started with some Bulleit before moving up to some Redemption BP. Just an orange crush of a whiskey

Looks, smells, and feels like a rye day with the heavy humidity in the air. So, a minty and dilly Sherlock's SAOS 8 yr 122pr on a big ol pile of rocks, in a...rocks glass.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!