What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks Jeffrey. The Ezra's bottle (barrel 1465/bottled 6/12/15) is 58.4% and the Ace's bottle (barrel 1367/no bottle date) is 60.7%. Both are 8 years. Is it unusual to see such a wide variation in proof among barrels of the same age? Could there be some variation in proof when they went into the barrel? Too bad they don't provide warehouse location on the bottle.

They probably don't have access to info on the entry proof on those barrels, but a 5% range isn't really that wide. Four Roses has single-story warehouses (which theoretically would mean *less* variability) and I've seen barrels of theirs anywhere from 51% to 63%.

I did email Smooth Ambler recently about a 99.8 proof single barrel bourbon I found, and I got a reply back from John Foster in which he speculated that Seagrams may have been experimenting with low barrel entry proof on some of those, but it didn't sound like he knew one way or the other.

AMG>>Thanks for the response. I'm a big fan of Smooth Ambler. John Foster's comment makes you wonder though...when an NDA purchases stock, how much documentation do they have of what is in the barrel? Back on point, I guess I expected more similarity among barrels. I have a renewed appreciation for how dependent you are on the taste preferences of those that select private barrels, and a renewed respect for those at the distilleries that are responsible for blending the barrels to create a consistent taste profile.

Opened my first Ravenswood Rye Store Select a couple weeks ago and had another pour last night. All I can think of is cola with a bit of citrus - very different from the ryes I have tried in the past. My wife says she tastes banana cream pie which is odd since I like the whiskey and absolutely hate bananas.

With all that said, at $50-55, you are paying the startup distiller tax for something that is unique though not exceptional.

SAOS Cask Strength Rye (62.2%). Started out a little harsh, singing one allspice-laden note. Light mouth feel, no overtly rough edges. Resolved into lots of wood spice with that pumpernickel-rye tone. Half an hour in the glass help round it out enough to start showing some neat black cherry and cinnamon notes. I like SA CS bourbons more than the rye and I'm not too fond of the 99 proof offering, but this bottle will be a pretty cool once-in-a-while kinda thing. I've got bottles from two different barrels, so I might have to A/B them while they're still in the market.

SAOS sounds pretty interesting, and there's nothing wrong with a bottle thats "pretty cool once-in-a-while kinda thing". I tend to look for something that is different and that may not be an "everyday" pour. Tonight I had Bulliet rye, and then tried vatting with it. Vatting with Bulliet rye may be hopeless, but it's a valuable lesson learned. Not to say I've given up on it, but it definitely is not going to be 1:1 again.

WT101R and RITTBIB, Lord I am ready for some college football.

I'm actually watching NDSU-Montana right now out of desperation for football. The CFL has also served that purpose this summer.

I'm actually watching NDSU-Montana right now out of desperation for football. The CFL has also served that purpose this summer.

Blind tasted some various Willett rye mingles, before enjoying a short pour of a 25yr WFE. While still more oaky than I would prefer, it is growing on me a little - although I think I still like it more blended into some younger rye.

Went with the Rittlepig blend (50/50) to wrap the evening up. I'd been a while, and didn't disappoint.

Went with the Rittlepig blend (50/50) to wrap the evening up. I'd been a while, and didn't disappoint.

I've been eyeing my bottle recently. Waiting to be sure my compromised palate is all the way back before indulging since my current supply is limited and I don't have the necessary components to mix up more.

I've been eyeing my bottle recently. Waiting to be sure my compromised palate is all the way back before indulging since my current supply is limited and I don't have the necessary components to mix up more.

Well (in my best RR), the force is with me today, so I took advantage of the opportunity.:drinking:

Hope you get your palate (as well as your power) back soon Steve... :searching:

Still waiting for the broader release of Pikesville to vat my first Whistleville - Store select 112pf Whistlepig with Pikesville.

This is what we call Research and Development at the distillery. A very generous person brought along a bottle of 1940, Old Overholt - Bottled in Bond. Wow, very, very tasty. attachment.php?attachmentid=21491&stc=1

post-12643-14489822755105_thumb.jpg

This is what we call Research and Development at the distillery. A very generous person brought along a bottle of 1940' date=' Old Overholt - Bottled in Bond. Wow, very, very tasty. [img']http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21491&stc=1

That is amazing! Congrats on being able to experience something like that.

Still waiting for the broader release of Pikesville to vat my first Whistleville - Store select 112pf Whistlepig with Pikesville.

You already know that's gonna be a good one...:grin:

This is what we call Research and Development at the distillery. A very generous person brought along a bottle of 1940' date=' Old Overholt - Bottled in Bond. Wow, very, very tasty. [/quote']

Care to share some tasting notes?

Well (in my best RR), the force is with me today, so I took advantage of the opportunity.:drinking:

Hope you get your palate (as well as your power) back soon Steve... :searching:

Having a glass of CEHT. If the price were a little more reasonable this would be an everyday pour for me.

I'm in agreement with this assessment as I think most rye lovers here are. Had several nice pours of my old reliable RITTBIB last night.

Originally Posted by squire viewpost-right.png

Care to share some tasting notes?

Sorry, I have been travelling. I will go back and re-taste with reporting back in mind.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!