What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Spring/Summer 2015

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bottles can still be had around here. Only cost you a trifling $300! :cool:

I love the stuff and a $200 I would probably buy more but $300 seems a bit of a reach.

Paid $200 for mine also. Not sure about $300 for another. But it is a premium whisky for sure.

found them all rather similar except the Storm that had just a little more bite/intensity.

was surprised I had so many different versions

e69dcdf9-a792-4af1-a860-ce8b5417099e_zpsoioxso98.jpg

found them all rather similar except the Storm that had just a little more bite/intensity.

was surprised I had so many different versions

e69dcdf9-a792-4af1-a860-ce8b5417099e_zpsoioxso98.jpg

*drool*

I don't have many Taliskers open right now...

then these, too

Isle of Jura Superstition-light peat. I get some fruit on the nose

Isle of Jura Prophecy-heavy peat. Yes, peaty. This is the first release; it says limited annual release, but current bottles don't say limited

Amrut Fusion-made with peat from Islay and barley from India. Quite good; I recommend it.

852c3672-9ddb-40da-bc18-55650741bc34_zpsg06ezc09.jpg

I am a currently on a mission to empty my bottle of Laphroaig QC. Slowly but surely, it is almost done. So good!

then these, too

Isle of Jura Superstition-light peat. I get some fruit on the nose

Isle of Jura Prophecy-heavy peat. Yes, peaty. This is the first release; it says limited annual release, but current bottles don't say limited

Amrut Fusion-made with peat from Islay and barley from India. Quite good; I recommend it.

852c3672-9ddb-40da-bc18-55650741bc34_zpsg06ezc09.jpg

Funny, I just did a Jura weekend myself. Just the 10 year and then the 21 year. Saw the 21 for $200 at one spot, then for $99 at my favorite haunt. Tons of walnut fudge, nice change of pace for me.

Fishnbowljoe, Jersey Don and I went to a Macallan tasting tonight. Got to try their 12 and 18 yr Sherry Oak, 15 yr Fine Oak and the Rare Cask. I'd never had any of the Macallan's before and wasn't sure what to expect since non-Islay Scotch's aren't generally in my wheelhouse but they were all very, very good. My favorite was easily the Rare Cask followed by the 15, then 18 and 12. A great way to spend a Monday night...... especially for $15 that included a decent Nestor Miranda cigar. (yes, the pours were small but who cares?)

Fishnbowljoe, Jersey Don and I went to a Macallan tasting tonight. Got to try their 12 and 18 yr Sherry Oak, 15 yr Fine Oak and the Rare Cask. I'd never had any of the Macallan's before and wasn't sure what to expect since non-Islay Scotch's aren't generally in my wheelhouse but they were all very, very good. My favorite was easily the Rare Cask followed by the 15, then 18 and 12. A great way to spend a Monday night...... especially for $15 that included a decent Nestor Miranda cigar. (yes, the pours were small but who cares?)

Rare Cask and Fine Oak 15 are 2 of my fav's, too

where was the tasting?

Rare Cask and Fine Oak 15 are 2 of my fav's, too

where was the tasting?

A local restaurant called Francesco's that for the last few years has done what they call "Manday's" every Monday from June until whenever they decide to stop in the fall.

http://www.franchescos.com/events/2015/6/1/mandays

Every week is different and it's a great way to try a wide variety of goodies that I might not have otherwise considered

if the pours were really small can you buy two tickets and that way double up and get enough for a decent tasting? Just a thought!

if the pours were really small can you buy two tickets and that way double up and get enough for a decent tasting? Just a thought!

You certainly could Bruce, but while the pours were small it was enough to get a good feel for all of them.

Working on a Highland Park 12 yr old bottle. Might finish it off sadly, but on a up note I have another and two more bottles done by an independent from this distillery.

Reached for some Crown Royal Cask 16 - one of the "wish I hadn't spent that much" bottles from my early days in this journey. Maybe a couple of years of airtime has improved it, or just the gear shift is a pleasant detour. Would never pay retail for it again, but glad I kept it around.

Trying an independent bottling of a 15-year-old Karuizawa. Aged in American White Oak and sherry finished. Delicious with an amazing nose. I really wish I had discovered Karuizawa before it became so scarce.

Last night, a secondary bottling of Glenlivet 30, Sherry casked. Very nice stuff, although a bit bland for my liking.

Having an old standard tonight Laphroaig 10 year old. Before that was some Bowmore Legend from the 90's I've had stashed away.

I was in the mood for something different, so reached for Cutty Sark Prohibition the other day. I had bought it and opened it a while back. Had a pour or two, then put it into the back of the cabinet out of the way. Upon re-visiting it, I liked it much more. In some ways, it reminds me of Mellow Corn. It could be the used barrel influence.

Highland Park 18 for me. I've had this bottle quite a while and have been milking it to stretch its life span. You can imagine my surprise when the cork broke off in my hand as I removed it!

I was in the mood for something different, so reached for Cutty Sark Prohibition the other day. I had bought it and opened it a while back. Had a pour or two, then put it into the back of the cabinet out of the way. Upon re-visiting it, I liked it much more. In some ways, it reminds me of Mellow Corn. It could be the used barrel influence.

I think Cutty Sark Prohibition is a great value pour, and much tastier than standard Cutty.

As for myself, I'm having a little pour of The Laddie 10. I wasn't a big fan when I first opened this one, but I've come around on it. There's a decent amount of peat for an "unpeated" whisky. It's a shame they replaced this with "The Classic Laddie". IMHO they're not that similar to one another.

Highland Park 12 & 15, trying to get rid of them.

"Get rid of" makes it sound like you're not enjoying them? Hopefully that's not the case!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.