What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Spring/Summer 2015

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just finished a bottle of Springbank10. At $55 a bottle I think it is an excellent value. Big, juicy, slightly peaty, slightly smoky, lemony, with a really clean finish. I think it has only gotten better the last 4 or 5 years. I have to say, as much as I like MMCS, I would pay $55 for the Springbank over the MMCS.

Started with a short pour of Glenmo 10yr before moving to some Crown Royal Case 16. Definitely not one of my favs, but every now and then it fills in nicely.

It's been awhile, but I'm back into the Old Pulteney 21 this afternoon. My gosh this is good whisky, how I haven't finished it after being open for almost 3 years is beyond me :yum:

It's thundering tonight so I thought I should crack open the Talisker Storm. This one seems young, hot and phenolic. It's opening up nicely after a half hour.

Having a pour of Jameson's Caskmates at my favorite watering hole. Can't remember the last time I had Irish whiskey so nothing to compare it to, but it is nice. Light bodied with some flavor nuances.

Having a pour of Jameson's Caskmates at my favorite watering hole. Can't remember the last time I had Irish whiskey so nothing to compare it to, but it is nice. Light bodied with some flavor nuances.

Drinking the same, tonight. This is my 3rd dip into this bottle, and I continue to be perplexed. My first couple experiences left me thinking it was overly sweet. Almost, artificially so. And, seemed more Canadian than Irish. Tonight, much different. The sweetness is tempered, and there are some nice Irishy notes. This bottle is going to take more time for me to get a dial on things, for sure.

Last night I spent some time with my bottle of Hakushu 12. It was tremendously disappointing when I first opened it over a year ago. It's been touched a couple of times since then and my reaction was the same. Last night though, it was great. A lovely fresh green sweetness with just a touch of smoke. Really enjoyable.

Some self-proclaimed booze 'expert' rated this a 'Must Try' so I reached in the back of my bar and decided to finish it off. A good choice but now I've got to find another bottle somewhere soon.

post-5040-14489822759002_thumb.jpg

post-5040-14489822759002_thumb.jpg

Some self-proclaimed booze 'expert' rated this a 'Must Try' so I reached in the back of my bar and decided to finish it off. A good choice but now I've got to find another bottle somewhere soon.

Started with a blend of Glenmo 10 + Shieldaig Highland, which whet my appetite for some peat. So moved on to plain ol' Ardbeg, which did so well the first time, is having an encore!

If he can find it ;)

I have no trouble sourcing the Hibiki line, it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to pay. I passed on some nice limited edition bottles at Narita recently, and today passed on a Hibiki 17 at Julio's. Now that the Harmony is in the US it looks like the price of the 12 has been bumped up a bit.

Had a Taketsuru 12 with dinner at a Japanese restaurant then tried out a pour of Penderyn Single Malt at the pub after dinner. Exact opposites, the Taketsuru was smooth and drinkable while the Penderyn was unbalanced and off putting. Too bad I can never afford to keep any Japanese whisky at home.

Had a pour of bunna 12 this evening. It's a fine sherried whisky, even though the sherry is a bit overwhelming on the nose. But not on the palate. Just a hint of peat smoke, very shy peat, very pleasant.

Had a pour of bunna 12 this evening. It's a fine sherried whisky, even though the sherry is a bit overwhelming on the nose. But not on the palate. Just a hint of peat smoke, very shy peat, very pleasant.

I'm a big fan of that whisky. Gotta respect a distiller that goes with 46% NCF as their entry level.

Trying some Glenfarclas 12 tonight for the first time. Enjoying this one.

I picked up the 12 and 15-year-old a while back and really enjoyed both.

I picked up the 12 and 15-year-old a while back and really enjoyed both.

The 15 is on the list to get. Also want to pick up a Macallan 12 to compare to the Glenfarclas 12.

Trying some Glenfarclas 12 tonight for the first time. Enjoying this one.

I to enjoy Glenfarclas, I find it rather interesting. Glendronach is also a good distiller. Just wish the 15 Sherry wasn't so pricey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.