Which Water of Life did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2015

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw that a local store here has a private barrel of Masterson's 10-yr rye. I'm tempted to go back and grab one at $55. Anybody tried a PS of this one?

Saw that a local store here has a private barrel of Masterson's 10-yr rye. I'm tempted to go back and grab one at $55. Anybody tried a PS of this one?

I have several. One of the most unique ryes I have had was a Party Source Masterson's pick. Tons of completely unexpected orange candy like notes. A subsequent Party Source pick, while still good, was not the same. More of a typical Masterson's profile. Like most store picks a lot depends on who makes the selection.

Should this be in the rye thread?

Edited by tanstaafl2

Should this be in the rye thread?

Well, it is foreign. Wasn't sure which thread would be more appropriate.

Nice notes in the tasting thread! I'll see if they've got one open for tasting next time I'm in.

Forgot to mention that I passed up Highland Park Odin for $400 yesterday when I was buying the Littlemill. Oh Highland Park. You're so good at making me not want to buy anything you produce.

Forgot to mention that I passed up Highland Park Odin for $400 yesterday when I was buying the Littlemill. Oh Highland Park. You're so good at making me not want to buy anything you produce.

Eric, do me a favor and PM me where you found Odin? A friend of mine has been looking for that one and will probably pay that exorbitant price.

It's funny that Gillman brought up Black Bull. I stopped by a shop close to my house that I've never been to before, and they had 3-4 bottles of Black Bull 12 @ $51. That's the cheapest I've seen it around here, usually close to $60. It was of special note because their other prices aren't great. I also passed up a JWGold 18 1 Liter bottle $99. I can't recall if I have 750s or liters tucked away (I thought 750s), but either way that's a pass. Maybe I'll grab one of the Black Bulls eventually. I REALLY want to find another Black Bull 30 or 40.

• 4 weeks later...

Classic Cask Bunnahabhain 22, among many other things. I'm tempted to take a risk on this because $150 is a lot less than $425 or whatever bunna 25 is going for, but still seems a bit high for a non cask strength IB with a mixed reputation.

Better to apply the $400 towards an airline ticket to Edinburgh and then make the journey to Orkney yourself!

I just got an email offering the new NAS Taketsuru. No thanks. The 12 could benefit from more age as it is.

Passed on Ardbeg Perpetuum. So I guess that's out. The box it comes in is very snazzy.

It's funny that Gillman brought up Black Bull. I stopped by a shop close to my house that I've never been to before, and they had 3-4 bottles of Black Bull 12 @ $51. That's the cheapest I've seen it around here, usually close to $60. It was of special note because their other prices aren't great. I also passed up a JWGold 18 1 Liter bottle $99. I can't recall if I have 750s or liters tucked away (I thought 750s), but either way that's a pass. Maybe I'll grab one of the Black Bulls eventually. I REALLY want to find another Black Bull 30 or 40.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed on previous generation bottlongs of Highland Park 12 and Talisker 10. I have a bottle of the HP12, and I don't care enough about Talisker 10 to pay $55 for it.

Passed on previous generation bottlongs of Highland Park 12 and Talisker 10. I have a bottle of the HP12, and I don't care enough about Talisker 10 to pay $55 for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed on a re-release Laphroaig 15 for $86, if it's really good and worth buying, please chime in!

Passed on a re-release Laphroaig 15 for $86, if it's really good and worth buying, please chime in!

You're spoiled for Laphroaig pricing in PA. Doesn't the 18yo sell for less than that?

Up here the 10yo is US$65!!! The 18yo sells for US$145!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best pricing for Laphroaig 18 is about $65. I think PA is $80?

The re-release 15 does cost more, but at a store that sells the 18 for $90, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my first bottle of Yamazaki Sherry Cask. It was $1500 so I left it where it lay.

post-5040-14489822493896_thumb.jpg

Passed on this Nikka 40 year. That's about $4200. I was looking forward to buying some Hibiki at Narita duty-free but they only sell the "airport" special decorated bottles at 2x markup. :frown:

I sure wish the Japanese whiskeys in general were priced more in my comfort zone, as I would love to try them but can't afford the dosh.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21082[/ATTACH]

Passed on this Nikka 40 year. That's about $4200. I was looking forward to buying some Hibiki at Narita duty-free but they only sell the "airport" special decorated bottles at 2x markup. :frown:

A lovely looking bottle but not quite in my price range either! I do find "duty free" to be increasingly underwhelming for worthwhile purchases. Have to really hunt and get a bit lucky to find anything interesting, much less a decent value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21082[/ATTACH]

I honestly feel like this bottle exists only to give as a gift. It's widely available enough that everyone would know how much it costs and what's inside cannot be worth it.

Yamazaki does a yearly special edition "gift" bottle where the contents in the bottle are exactly the same, except that the bottle has a different design.

Passed on a Glenfarclas 10 year with older packaging. Priced quite a bit higher than state minimum, which I can't stand. Michigan is expensive enough without places jacking up everything. Guy wouldn't budge to move some inventory. :hot:

• 1 month later...

My store had the Ardbeg Perpetuum and a few of the Japanese single malts on the shelf. I have not seen any reviews that make them a must have.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.