Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a bottle today at my local Canadian liquor store...lots on the shelf for $33.

I haven't tried too many rye's, but this one seems very good for the price.

The regular crown Royal is just garbage!!

This was announced as Jim Murray's 2016 Whisky of the Year!

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/11/19/the-worlds-best-whiskey-look-to-canada/

Yes, David Driscoll was "waxing philosophical" about this on his blog a few days ago:

"I already know what they're thinking: "Jim Murray obviously doesn't care about good whisky if he's willing to give the award to Crown Royal," but my friends it's entirely the opposite!! I think it's because Jim Murray cares about whisky that he gave the award to Crown Royal. Isn't that clear to anyone else?"

Not yet clear to me! I am willing to ponder it a bit more but I am not sure I am buying what either of them are selling on this one.

I ordered a bottle today. I still have my doubts despite the recent accolade, but figure it's worth a shot for $25.99.

I bought one a few weeks ago. Wasn't much impressed, it's okay but Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye is much superior (IMO), as was the Texas single barrel version of CR.

I found the whisky itself a little harsh on the tongue, too, didn't really like the mouthfeel. (I don't know how much these vary batch to batch).

Murray is entitled to his view, but I can't see the fuss...

Gary

I bought one a few weeks ago. Wasn't much impressed, it's okay but Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye is much superior (IMO), as was the Texas single barrel version of CR.

I found the whisky itself a little harsh on the tongue, too, didn't really like the mouthfeel. (I don't know how much these vary batch to batch).

Murray is entitled to his view, but I can't see the fuss...

Gary

"It's okay", perfectly said. Is a real rye with some notes of apple giving a bit of uniqueness. But the mouthfeel and finishing is too light. I blind tasted it against a 92 proof Redemption Rye stated on the label to be less than 4 years old. They were both never opened, just before tasting. It was easy to discern the MPG product so it then became not really blind but much preferred the Redemption as fuller, rounder and richer. Glad to have tried, it will eventually get drunk, but no reason to repeat even at the $22 price I paid.

Love the beer blog too my man!

This is a very nice and 'friendly drinking' rye... and maybe this award is exactly what we need to redirect a little bit of the focus off of a few other things that we are a little more partial to. I wonder if the NHR price just jumped up 100%? :rolleyes:

I tried this at a tasting a month or so ago and was impressed. I had planned to pick up a bottle at some point but when it was named WotY I thought I better go pick it up now before it becomes harder to find (is this a symptom of whiskey nervosa?).

I got it yesterday and opened it up last night. Again, I really like it.

T Comp, I don't find it thin on the mouthfeel or finish. I actually immediately noticed that it wasn't because I was somewhat expecting it to be. It is very easy drinking with almost no burn. I don't see this bottle lasting long.

After learning that this CR was nominated as "best in the world" I went out to get a bottle right away. The liquor store here in Canada had lots and it was $33.

The first tastes were the best...Now...Not so great.

Tastes way to young and not very complex. It just reminds me of JBW..except JBW is probably better and cheaper.

How can one person nominate the best whisky in the world? Kinda stupid anyways...

I'll stick to drinking BT.

I bounced around a few pours again with this last night and came away with a feeling of pity for this whiskey.  Pity, because it now has this albatross hanging over its crowned top, by way of the Jim Murray designation of World Whiskey of the Year.  That is a heavy burden.  Mind you, this is not pity for Diageo and the windfall that they will probably realize as a result of this award.   But rather, pity for the whiskey itself.  It will be increasingly difficult for people to judge it on its own merit alone.  It will forever be judged against the WWotY designation given it by Murray.  It seems everybody has a beef with Jim Murray these days.  He's mean. He's arrogant.  He made me wait.  He's in it for the money.  He's just trying to sell books.  He looked at my tits... (Seriously).  As I wrote above in this thread, I find it to be a very nice rye whiskey.  Very American rye in style, and without the overt sweetness I find in most Canadians.  Along with its sibling (Hand Selected Barrel), these have been very welcome additions to the Canadian section of my bar, as they have given a long needed glimpse into the great backbone whiskeys that Canadian distillers produce.  I neither care why Murray gave the honor to NHR, nor does it impact how I feel about the whiskey.  Though, I enjoy Murray's writing and appreciate him for being one of the first "World" whiskey writers to give due credit to American whiskey long before the other "World" whiskey writers began to take notice,  I find Northern Harvest Rye to be quite good on my own terms and by my own standards and judgement.  It's not my Whiskey of the Year, but I'm not bashful to say that it may be my most Pleasantly Surprising Whiskey of the Year. 

Edited by smokinjoe

^^^^Very well said Joe!^^^^  I too find it a welcome addition and perfectly serviceable pour.  It's a shame that most folks will compare it to others that it wasn't intended to compete with. 

As for their efforts to bring another finely produced, readily available, cost friendly Canadian rye to market... we should only enjoy and be thankful. 

I'm with smokinjoe on this one.  Here we have a nice new higher-proof Canadian rye at a very reasonable cost and the Internet is collectively trashing it because it scored more points than William Larue Weller or whatever.  But as I've said on other forums, this is hardly surprising for a guy who consistently rated Alberta Premium 5 year old over many expensive Scotches and bourbons.  Murray loves rye, and this one pushed all the right buttons for him.  Let's take it or leave it and move on.

$32 plus tax in Virginia ABC stores, and I have seen it in several of them.  Prices in WashDC stores are comparable.

It is nice to see more Canadian Whisk(e)y's Reaching ABV's higher than 80 Proof. I have always found that CR has always been overrated in my opinion. I think I will pick up a bottle of this for my Bunker.

I find it really difficult to buy a bottle of whiskey at 80 proof, nice to see this at 90. After opening the bottle and letting it breath I've noticed after 2 weeks a distinctly strong gram cracker flavour which is very pleasing. My biggest issue with this rye is that it has short finish. 

What WAS your whiskey of the year, Joe? Off the top of my head, I think mine was an SAOS rye pick I bought while at the sampler this year. Kicking myself that I didn't load up.

Also - I wont judge if I catch you looking at my tits.

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

What WAS your whiskey of the year, Joe? Off the top of my head, I think mine was an SAOS rye pick I bought while at the sampler this year. Kicking myself that I didn't load up.

Also - I wont judge if I catch you looking at my tits.

"Your whiskey of the year" hmm, that sounds like it should probably be a thread.  What do you guys think?

7 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

"Your whiskey of the year" hmm, that sounds like it should probably be a thread.  What do you guys think?

Great idea!

Would this be ... Bourbon, scotch, American non bourbon, Japanese, Indian, welsh, Irish. Or an all of the above for your opinion of whisk(e)y of the year?

I bought a bottle out of curiosity and found it to be a mellow treat. It won't challenge you or knock your socks off, but it does what it does well and it's priced about right. I find myself going to it when I want something easy but tasty. Too bad the PA state stores only have it as a "one time buy" so once it's gone, it's gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.