Four Roses 2015 Small Batch LE

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did a side-by-side (blind) between two of the 4-R SmBLE's: '13 (125th Anniversary) & '15 (current). I mentioned my intention to do this earlier (in this thread I think). Anyway, in brief here are my impressions....

The two had VERY similar Noses (no surprise) having a good rye-forward spicy 4-R nose. I gave a very slight edge to '13 based upon a slight fruity note (citrus?) I didn't get in the '15's nose.

On the Palate, I again found more similarities than differences, with the '15 being a bit fuller, more layers if you will. I also found '15 a tiny bit more astringent, and a bit more oaky, with a very slight acetone hint. Very much a great example of 4-R's best. Rye toast on the back end, a bit of clove, a hint of cardamom, with a long even finish, fading to slightly spicy/sweet.

The '13 was the slightest bit less oaky, or maybe slightly less sour-oak, more toasted oak? ...And, a slightly sweet note on the front end that I barely detected before it became a hint of ripe fruit (plum?). Not quite as astringent, slight note of shellac, a bit of clove, tiny bits of rye toast, with a long slow finish that fades just the slightest bit quicker than '15, but still a stellar spicy/sweet finish.

Overall, I really couldn't decide which I liked better, maybe a VERY slight edge to the '13 for the fruity note? In any case the two are fantastic pours! I think the two are among the best whiskeys I've had. Certainly top 15 for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first pour yesterday.  This stuff is good!  Unmistakably Four Roses in the nose and the taste but it has somewhat more complexity and depth than other FR I've had.  I also picked up some oak/wood which I haven't noticed in other FR (mainly I drink PS SB).  My favorite part however is the long, tasty finish.  I hope there isn't a change in FR with Jim Rutherford gone.  I really like their stuff.

• 6 months later...

Welcome home LE SmB 2015, i've got a special place for you on my bar for you next to your younger brother from 2014. I paid just a little bit over the retail price, can't wait to try it. I've heard it's better than the 2014 which was ok, not mind blowing ! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.