Russell's Reserve 'Distilled in 1998'

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sku posted this on Twitter this morning. Finally some premium Turkey above 100 proof!

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15085001000540

If it is a one time release or annual limited edition then 1800 bottles won't go very far. Will also be interesting to see how many body parts one has to give up for that to get one even at MSRP, presuming you can even find it! It will no doubt hit the secondary insanity quickly.

I hope it proves to be a good release for WT given their at best limited success of late. But unless one falls into my lap I think I will leave the scrum for others.

Yea, this sounds great in theory but it also sounds more mythical than the Cured Oak, which was, what, 711 cases, so 4200+ bottles. More than twice as many, to put that in perspective.

Yea, this sounds great in theory but it also sounds more mythical than the Cured Oak, which was, what, 711 cases, so 4200+ bottles. More than twice as many, to put that in perspective.

True, but Cured Oak comes from the magical BT distillery and in a cardboard tube at that! WT products haven't had that kind of hype, although anything with this much age and such a limited bottle count is no doubt going to be a target for flippers.

Whenever this comes out, I hope I can find a bottle or two. Not holding my breath though.

Welcome (albeit a bit late), Wild Turkey, to the 17-20yr old whiskey craze.

Not holding out any hope that we'll see any around here.

Sounds interesting for sure, and I like the proof. If I saw this on a shelf, it would come home with me pretty easily even at the high price I imagine it will be. I don't have to worry about that though as it will never see a shelf. I WILL see it on facebook being offered for $500 or so. I'll laugh at the fools who buy it for that.

I'd love a few bottles of this if it's under 100. 1998 is when I started working offshore. These bottles have been maturing exactly through my whole career, haha.

I think that proof should get the job done, taste-wise.

North of 100 though, and I'll keep my sentiments to myself.

• 1 month later...

Had this at the Bourbon Affair and let me just say this is incredible stuff. Really nice caramel on the nose. The mouth feel is super thick and creamy. The taste starts out with vanilla and caramel, has a nice spice kick in the middle, then back to vanilla for a super long finish. I'd buy this instantly if I came across it. Eddie confirmed the 1800 bottles and basically said you won't be able to find any. He also said he thought the $250 price tag was ridiculous but he didn't set the pricing, corporate did.

• 3 weeks later...

There is apparently a Wild Turkey bus passing through the country and for Atlanta area SBers it is reportedly in town now and according to this article there might be a chance to taste several of the new WT special bottlings. None really close to me (had I found out yesterday I might have tried to go as it was closer to me). Thursday and Friday seem to be reasonably close to the Cobb posse though if interested! Saturday is in Athens. I know nothing about it other than what is on the website.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:00pm 8:00pm 18:00 20:00

• 2810 Paces Ferry Rd SE Atlanta, GA, 30339 United States

Friday, June 26, 2015 6:00pm 10:00pm 18:00 22:00

• 15 Atlanta Street Southeast Marietta, GA, 30060 United States

Saturday, June 27, 2015

12:30pm 11:00pm 12:30 23:00

• 269 N Hull St Athens, GA, 30601 United States

Being in Cobb I decided to give it a shot (not knowing that there is a whole "thing" happening in Marietta Square tonight). At least tonight - only pours available were the standards (WT81, WT101, WTR81, WTR101, and Forgiven). I inquired about the Single Barrel Rye, and the guy said that stuff won't be out until the fall. I showed him the GBS pic with Eddie and told him "Eddie said you'd have samples for us special folk before the general release; are you calling him a liar?" He was a bit alarmed by this, so I told him I was kidding. I took the free 2oz pour of WTR101 in a plastic traveler and people-watched on the square for a bit.

Not sure if the experience differs by location though. I tried to skip the song/dance on the bus ("Did you know that by law, bourbon is 51% corn and . . . ") just long enough to get my free sample ticket :lol:

Thanks for sharing Bruce - can't complain about a 20 min drive for a free 2oz of WTR101 (I've done worse for less, I'm sorry to admit!)

There is apparently a Wild Turkey bus passing through the country and for Atlanta area SBers it is reportedly in town now and according to this article there might be a chance to taste several of the new WT special bottlings. None really close to me (had I found out yesterday I might have tried to go as it was closer to me). Thursday and Friday seem to be reasonably close to the Cobb posse though if interested! Saturday is in Athens. I know nothing about it other than what is on the website.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:00pm 8:00pm 18:00 20:00

• 2810 Paces Ferry Rd SE Atlanta, GA, 30339 United States

Friday, June 26, 2015 6:00pm 10:00pm 18:00 22:00

• 15 Atlanta Street Southeast Marietta, GA, 30060 United States

Saturday, June 27, 2015

12:30pm 11:00pm 12:30 23:00

• 269 N Hull St Athens, GA, 30601 United States

Being in Cobb I decided to give it a shot (not knowing that there is a whole "thing" happening in Marietta Square tonight). At least tonight - only pours available were the standards (WT81, WT101, WTR81, WTR101, and Forgiven). I inquired about the Single Barrel Rye, and the guy said that stuff won't be out until the fall. I showed him the GBS pic with Eddie and told him "Eddie said you'd have samples for us special folk before the general release; are you calling him a liar?" He was a bit alarmed by this, so I told him I was kidding. I took the free 2oz pour of WTR101 in a plastic traveler and people-watched on the square for a bit.

Not sure if the experience differs by location though. I tried to skip the song/dance on the bus ("Did you know that by law, bourbon is 51% corn and . . . ") just long enough to get my free sample ticket :lol:

Thanks for sharing Bruce - can't complain about a 20 min drive for a free 2oz of WTR101 (I've done worse for less, I'm sorry to admit!)

Sorry it didn't work out. Could be they kept the "good stuff" for the Kentucky stops but a shame that either the article wasn't accurate or the staff on the bus wasn't up to speed. in rereading the article it sounds as though either Eddie or Jimmy had to be there to get the special ones. I thought for a second that when you challenged him you were going to say he pulled out one of these special bottles! There certainly are some out there as people have written about tasting samples at the Bourbon Affair and other venues.

If we had known about them in time we could have hit him up for samples at the barrel pick!

• 4 months later...

This is out now in Virginia. A buddy and I went in on this as its $249. I know it's a lot but this is really really good. From what I've read its actually 15 years old and comes in at 102.2 proof. A nice amber color in the glass. The nose is deep caramel with some cherries or apples in it. The spiciness also comes out while smelling it. Some really nice vanilla comes out at first sip with some cherries, then a ton of spice with some oak hanging out over top of everything. A nice long finish with some more fruit and spice to finish things off. There's a little burn but nothing too terribly hot. This is for people who like big bold bourbon with a very nice balance to it. I think this is what people have been hoping and expecting from an older WT for the past few releases. Yes, it's very expensive but it's also very well done

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to try this several months ago with Jimmy Russall. To me this bourbon had one of the best noses that I have ever come across on any bourbon, and it was very good. I have not been able to come across a bottle yet, hopefully I will get one.

I had an old bottle of WTRB '91 that he signed.

post-9285-14489822966972_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489822967456_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489822967996_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489822968517_thumb.jpg

Edited by LCWoody

Picked one up for 199. Expensive but it came with a nice box...

That's the best price I've heard of on this. Have yet to see it around here, though.

I was able to try this several months ago with Jimmy Russall. To me this bourbon had one of the best noses that I have ever come across on any bourbon, and it was very good. I have not been able to come across a bottle yet, hopefully I will get one.

I had an old bottle of WTRB '91 that he signed.

those pictures made me smile so hard!

Was lucky to pick up another bottle, now for a showdown between Master's Keep and Russell's Reserve 1998! Probably no comparison, but still fun to do. Initial impressions are that this is one awesome Wild Turkey! Everything turned up to 11. I am a big Wild Turkey fan, but this is really great stuff. I will try to post detailed notes later.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21846&stc=1

post-11331-14489822976081_thumb.jpg

I would open one of mine except I can't get it out of the box...it's like a puzzle [emoji38]

When the cashier was looking for the UPC barcode, I was cringing thinking, "don't wreck the box, don't drop the bottle!!!" So I totally know what you mean.

Luckily my cashier was smart enough to just spin the bottle in its place instead of trying pull the thing out completely.

When the cashier was looking for the UPC barcode, I was cringing thinking, "don't wreck the box, don't drop the bottle!!!" So I totally know what you mean.

Picked mine up for $225. Not opening for a while though.

Despite putting at least a little effort into this one so far I have been shut out. Oh well, more money for other stuff!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.