Russell's Reserve 'Distilled in 1998'

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A bit of a surprise this weekend when one of my "sources" called and offered me a bottle of this. I figured it was long gone by now and this same store said they didn't get any when it came out originally. I suspect it is because the fancy wooden box appears to have a piece broken off the back of the lid. Doesn't show from the front and I wasn't planning to drink the box anyway! I am happy to take what I can get and it came at a pretty good price too so I wonder if I got a little bit of a discount. Owner wasn't in so I couldn't find out the sordid history...

567721b241772_RussellsReserve2.JPG.e4246567721b45f42b_RussellsReserve19981.JPG.a

I was finally able to pick one up at my favorite store yesterday. I didn't think I was going to see it in the wild. As soon as I empty a few bottles I'm going to open this one up. 

image.jpeg

Nice find LC!   And I'm digging on the 2 10 YO Old Charters flanking it!   I've been able to grab a couple of 8 YO OC's in the past couple months, haven't seen any 10's lately.

Might have an opportunity to trade my recent (2012 or 2013) VW Lot B for one of these 1998's...is that crazy?

Edited by sbsbsb

17 minutes ago, sbsbsb said:

Might have an opportunity to trade my recent (2012 or 2013) VW Lot B for one of these 1998's...is that crazy?

Just based on msrp you are getting the better deal.  A honey barrel W12 for a very limited turkey.  I know which I would take...

13 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

No it isn't. A 17 year old wild Turkey bottling that has actually gotten good reviews...

Pretty sure it is officially a 15yo as it was tanked for a year or so before bottling and fell just short of being 16yo when that was done. But higher proof and strong reviews as noted. I haven't opened mine yet but will likely do so soon. I have never been overly impressed with Lot B and have had Weller 12's I thought were as good or better although that is getting tough to find as well.

Now, the secondary market may be a different story as some doofus might give you a ridiculous amount for a Lot B. But I am not interested in doing anything like that anyway (not to mention it is illegal) so I don't pay much attention to the secondary market absurdities beyond what happens to get mentioned on this board..

6 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

What is illegal about selling a bottle of bourbon?

Nothing at all as long as you have a state liquor license! Otherwise it is illegal as far as I know in every state of the country. It is probably unlikely anybody is going to call you on it unless you are selling a bunch of it or advertising overtly and a local prosecutor or sheriff needs to make a case to win an election...

But that doesn't make it any less illegal!

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

What is illegal about selling a bottle of bourbon?

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nothing at all as long as you have a state liquor license! Otherwise it is illegal as far as I know in every state of the country. It is probably unlikely anybody is going to call you on it unless you are selling a bunch of it or advertising overtly and a local prosecutor or sheriff needs to make a case to win an election...

But that doesn't make it any less illegal!

Legal issues are one of the reasons we don't condone buying, selling, and trading, or the advertising of such, here on SB.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone in LA actually find this on shelves? We've become a wasteland full of resellers for new releases on Craigslist.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.