Booker's named batches

danz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Batch 5 is already out, can't remember what it's called. The one after oven buster.

Mah mah or something like that I think.m.

Mah mah or something like that I think.m.

Maw Maw is the name of the new batch.

I've never seen it unavailable around here, but there's always only 1 or 2 bottles for sale when I see it. Always there, just not a lot of it.

I wonder why Bookers never took off like other Bourbons? I know where some 2013-6 bottles are shelf turds. It is really good and as others have said always available. This batch was apparently the first of the round-table selection.

Random observation: last year there were long stretches where Booker's disappeared from all the shelves in town. But I have noticed one batch or another all around town this year without any such stretch of absence. Is this an anomaly, or have others noticed this also?

I haven't seen any empty shelves this year. In fact, in the big chains I see multiple cases in the overhead racks, while that damn dog keeps grinning at me from the batch 2 labels still on the shelf.

Random observation: last year there were long stretches where Booker's disappeared from all the shelves in town. But I have noticed one batch or another all around town this year without any such stretch of absence. Is this an anomaly, or have others noticed this also?

RE: This quote & its following posts --

Didn't see it for awhile even in bars that featured Beams. THEN, the early named batches came and went in stores. Now, I see a couple of at least the two latest batches on the top shelf of stores and at least a pretty full bottle or two of the latest batch (Maw Maw w/glasses) in those bars. Maybe the hiccup in availability was due to the marketing change ("Waiting on Labels" would be a good cover band name).

I think that you hit the nail on the head Harry. BTW, it's everywhere I go now by the pallet loads and I really like your Cardinal avatar!

Off thread warning: this is about the cardinal avatar, not bourbon. Thanks, Paddy. That cardinal and his parents/grandparents/ggp's/etc. have been nesting in a rhododendron outside our kitchen for over 30 years. Caught this one last winter (Dec 2014) after the snow stopped.

ON THREAD -- FWIW, I'd forgotten about Bookers for years. The flurry caused by the new branding/naming caught my eye.

I guess advertising works even with old fahts like me.

Off topic: that's a great story (and photo) Harry!

On topic: I like Booker's, be damned whatever they want to call it (by batch) now. Hell, it's always been a by batch brand! :shocked:

Paddy, I agree. It's one of my top 5, if not top 2, go to bourbons. I love the texture, richness and depth of flavor. I think it is one of the few bourbons that really does perform better with either a few drops of water of a cube of ice to help release the flavors. At $40 a bottle locally it's a steal. I'm trying to back-stock at least a few bottles of each of h round table selections just to enjoy a few years down the road.

Paddy, I agree. It's one of my top 5, if not top 2, go to bourbons. I love the texture, richness and depth of flavor. I think it is one of the few bourbons that really does perform better with either a few drops of water of a cube of ice to help release the flavors. At $40 a bottle locally it's a steal. I'm trying to back-stock at least a few bottles of each of h round table selections just to enjoy a few years down the road.

If it was $40 here my bunker would be over-flowing with it. $60 is state min up here. :(

If it was $40 here my bunker would be over-flowing with it. $60 is state min up here. :(

I'm with you Foz, rarely see it under $50 here and I also agree fully with GerryM's assessment of the whiskey.

For my money and location, I've found KCSB to be the fitting replacement at anywhere from $10-15 less per bottle.

Never accuse me of being too good for KC honey barrels (and the store picks can be exceptional)! :yum:

I have only had one bottle of Booker's so far, batch c07-b7 or something like that, and while very good bourbon it was so similar to some bottles of KCSB I have had that I would be hard pressed to distinguish them (I add a fair amount of water to both). If I heard that either a Booker's or KCSB batch had the peanut brittle turned up to 11, that would be my overriding consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, ha, Center Cut showed up in the local Costco about $4 cheaper than usual town prices, so I picked up one of the last 3 bottles. My first Booker's!

Side note; they also had MM Cask Strength, but @ $11 more than Booker's it was left behind.

Ha, ha, Center Cut showed up in the local Costco about $4 cheaper than usual town prices, so I picked up one of the last 3 bottles. My first Booker's!

Side note; they also had MM Cask Strength, but @ $11 more than Booker's it was left behind.

booker's was definitely the better buy. enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw those on my last trip but I'm on a tight budget right now.

Goodness. Picked up an Oven Buster today (Batch #2015-4) for $50 on sale. Someday, I'm going to have to start drinking these impulse buys.:slappin:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through a bottle of the Dot's Batch (2015-02) and have really been enjoying it. It's actually my first bottle of Booker's to have. Definitely something to keep stocked (just meaning bookers in general, not this specific batch).

I can't remember what it's called but I talked to a representative from Beam who told me the next batch is ready to ship and should be in the stores soon. I have all of them up to the Oven Buster. All the stores around me are still selling through their supply of Center Cut. I've been really enjoying the Center Cut and for the past couple of months it's been on sale for $44.99.

that center cut is mighty delicious. so much so, I went out and bought another bottle of it. it's my first bottle I've bought of booker's, so I'm not sure how it compares to other batches though.

that center cut is mighty delicious. so much so, I went out and bought another bottle of it. it's my first bottle I've bought of booker's, so I'm not sure how it compares to other batches though.

Said a different way, the Booker's price-point is high ($50-60) compared to, say HMcK BIB (@ $26 or so) or OGD 114 (which I buy whenever it is on sale whether I need it or not), but after trying a few pours of batches 2015- 2, 4, 5, and 6, I don't think I'm risking a bad batch any more than I did when buying Lot B @ $50 circa 2005. But, that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

A little frustrated today. Inventory in Utah appears to have gone from Dot's batch directly to Oven Buster and skipped Center Cut. I was looking forward to making my first Booker's purchase the highly-regarded Center Cut batch. I might just have to wait to see if Noe Secret shows up here.

Of this year's named batches, is there a favorite? Everyone seems to be enjoying all of them pretty well.

FYI - all batches can be found here: http://www.bookersbourbon.com/batches/

Edited by miller542

I have two open bottles: a 2014 release and the first 2015, Big Man, Small Batch. In an SBS, I can't tell them apart. But that's just me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.