Booker's named batches

danz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened up my recently grabbed bottle of Toogie's Invitation.    Pretty much what I expected after reading Chuck Cowdery's blog about it.   It is absolutely  Beam product, and very much Booker's in most ways.   It's a bit sweeter than some of the batches with a sweet caramel hit over the rest of the often-noted brown sugar, vanilla, & the usual Beam rick house 'mustyness'.    I like it a lot.   I'll probably garb another while they're still around.

• 2 months later...

Over the last 2 years, I've had 4 different Booker's batches.  Currently working on an Oven Buster.  There was a little difference in each one, but I really have no preference.  Just enjoy sippin' each one for what they are.  

1 hour ago, Mule Skinner said:

Over the last 2 years, I've had 4 different Booker's batches.  Currently working on an Oven Buster.  There was a little difference in each one, but I really have no preference.  Just enjoy sippin' each one for what they are.  

I agree, especially as they work their way down the bottle.

Some have shown initial heavier wood, some more caramel but with time they have all been pretty good. My respect for the brand is high these days.

Any major differences in 2016 batches? I'm thinking of making Booker's my next purchased and I've seen several different batches in my area (Bluegrass, Ani's Answer,Toogie's and Bluegill Creek). 

20 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Any major differences in 2016 batches? I'm thinking of making Booker's my next purchased and I've seen several different batches in my area (Bluegrass, Ani's Answer,Toogie's and Bluegill Creek). 

If you've yet to try any Booker's, I'd seek out a Toogie's Invitation for a "first Booker's", because it's so typical of the usual Booker's profile; but just a bit sweeter, and with the expected caramel somewhat further in the forefront.   That said, all of the Booker's offerings are fairly similar, and it my be hard to find a Toogie's by now.    Worth looking, though IMHO.     Good Luck.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:56 AM, Richnimrod said:

If you've yet to try any Booker's, I'd seek out a Toogie's Invitation for a "first Booker's", because it's so typical of the usual Booker's profile; but just a bit sweeter, and with the expected caramel somewhat further in the forefront.   That said, all of the Booker's offerings are fairly similar, and it my be hard to find a Toogie's by now.    Worth looking, though IMHO.     Good Luck.

I did find the Toogie's online at Ace Spirits for $40. Waiting on it to arrive. 

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

If you like caramel and sweet spices, you'll find this very satisfying.     I liked it even more than most Booker's.... and, I'm a Booker's fan.

On November 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM, BDanner said:

Booker's for $40?  That's a great price on a great bourbon, I'd be buying more than one at that price. 

15 hours ago, miller542 said:

Booker's for $40?  That's a great price on a great bourbon, I'd be buying more than one at that price. 

Well...I thought about it, but I've never had it. I'd hate to pay for two and not care for it. 

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

Well...I thought about it, but I've never had it. I'd hate to pay for two and not care for it. 

Just my own experience; but I've run across only a very few folx who like Bourbon in general, but do not care for Booker's.    Consider getting at least one, and pouring a little into a rox glass.    If it seems to need a little water or a cube after a few tastes try one or the other of those things.    Give it a chance.    You may find you like it a bunch.

On 11/10/2016 at 4:11 PM, Richnimrod said:

Just my own experience; but I've run across only a very few folx who like Bourbon in general, but do not care for Booker's.    Consider getting at least one, and pouring a little into a rox glass.    If it seems to need a little water or a cube after a few tastes try one or the other of those things.    Give it a chance.    You may find you like it a bunch.

I am one of those people.  Loooooove bourbon, but never cared for Booker's, or really any Jim Beam product for that matter.  Guess I don't like the "beam funk".

Edited by stickly

Not a Beam fan in general-one of the least represented distilleries in the bunker. But popped a "Noe Secret" Booker's w some buds after work today and really enjoyed it. Not much different from my last Booker's memory but tasty. However for the money I still keep OGD 114 stocked over any other Beam offering. 

3 hours ago, stickly said:

I am one of those people.  Loooooove bourbon, but never cared for Booker's, or really any Jim Beam product for that matter.  Guess I don't like the "beam funk".

You aren't alone.    A fair number of folx find that 'Beam Funk' off-putting.    I don't mind it so much in the higher proof offerings, and especially not in their older aged stuff (KC). 

I notice it less than others, maybe.    The only negative reaction I've had is from the newer (newer than 2010 or so) JB White Label.     Even that isn't so bad, if you search under that 'funk' for the peanutty taste I get from most of the Jim Beam line.    I kinda like that.   But; Hey!   Everybody should drink what they enjoy, and if it ain't Beam stuff for you... so be it.    Plenty of other stuff to pour.    Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a recent batch of Booker's that might be broadly considered the least "peanutty" batch? I'm curious to try Booker's but I'm very sensitive to that Beam funk, peanut thing - I really dislike the taste of peanuts in bourbon or pretty much anything else except Pad Thai (for some reason). 

5 hours ago, Guardian Enzo said:

Is there a recent batch of Booker's that might be broadly considered the least "peanutty" batch? I'm curious to try Booker's but I'm very sensitive to that Beam funk, peanut thing - I really dislike the taste of peanuts in bourbon or pretty much anything else except Pad Thai (for some reason). 

I can't speak for Booker's batches as they're pretty much 6-7 yrs,,but I have found that the KCSB's with higher ages get away from the standard Beam House profile.  If you can locate a 10ish yr private selection of KCSB you might find what you're looking for.  

• 4 weeks later...

I recently grabbed a bottle of Toogie's thanks to the recommendations above.  It is an excellent expression of classic bookers goodness.  Plenty of Caramel, Vanilla, oak a little spicey rye on the back end.  Looking forward to revisiting this in a couple of weeks after its had a bit of time to breathe.  

Good stuff though, if you see this bottle and like Bookers take one home.

This past weekend I opened a Toogie's, and really enjoyed it.  Seemed to have a lot more fruit flavors, almost a blueberry syrup taste at the beginning.  Then the brown sugar kicked in at the end.  I'm gonna enjoy this one a lot.

I've been meaning to grab a bottle of Booker's for a while, but now that Christmas present-buying is done, I figured I'd finally grab one for myself. I was aiming for Toogie's since that seems to be a popular choice here, but my local shop was all out of the '16 Booker's, so I grabbed a bottle of the Center Cut instead (owner of the shop says that's his favorite of the recent Booker's, anyway). Will probably pop it tonight, in Princess Leia's honor. 

4 hours ago, Sean Bond said:

I've been meaning to grab a bottle of Booker's for a while, but now that Christmas present-buying is done, I figured I'd finally grab one for myself. I was aiming for Toogie's since that seems to be a popular choice here, but my local shop was all out of the '16 Booker's, so I grabbed a bottle of the Center Cut instead (owner of the shop says that's his favorite of the recent Booker's, anyway). Will probably pop it tonight, in Princess Leia's honor. 

I believe that Center Cut is a round table selection and is an excellent choice.  I've had one in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My local Costco just put the last 2016 release on the shelves, Noe Hard Times.

Solid addition, opened it up and it's winner.  Purchased for $48 + tax, may get another one.

I've been working my way through that Toogie's, and the further into it, the more I like it.  

The local liquor warehouse store has the Off Your Rocker and Bluegill Creek batches for $54.99. I just can't decide if I like it better than KCSB or 4RSB, both closer to $40

9 minutes ago, Sean Bond said:

I was pointed to this article this morning:

http://www.fredminnick.com/2017/01/02/beam-suntory-backtracks-bookers-pricing/

Assuming the above is accurate, it looks like we don't necessarily need to hoard 20 cases of Booker's this exact moment (although $70-75 is still a little steep, in my opinion).

Looks like their nefarious strategy to clear some excess stock off the shelves has worked... :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.