What bourbons/whiskeys are readily available now, but hard to find in 1-2 yrs?

ReynoldsStrong
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Title says it all. I've heard rumors that Eagle Rare and Blantons are going to be hard to find in the next couple of years. Any truth to this? I wish I would have bought every bottle of Weller 12 I could find a few years ago, as I havent seen it on a shelf in probably 2 years.

What at shpuld we be stocking up on now?

Title says it all. I've heard rumors that Eagle Rare and Blantons are going to be hard to find in the next couple of years. Any truth to this? I wish I would have bought every bottle of Weller 12 I could find a few years ago, as I havent seen it on a shelf in probably 2 years.

What at shpuld we be stocking up on now?

Nothing. Plenty of good bourbon out there! Buy what there is and let the rest sort itself out. And if it doesn't sort itself out then no worries as you have had plenty all along!

I'd say that it depends :lol: If you're stock is low, I'd say buy a few bottles of what you like. If you're not hurting - don't bother. Are there things I can't find today that I didn't stock up on? Sure - but there are either new things coming out (or things "new to me" that I hadn't tried before) all the time. I can't think of anything that I'm really kicking myself over not having "stocked up on" (except for Jefferson 10yr Rye; I'll admit - I wish I had bought a few more bottles of that). Even with that, I'd be lying if I said I can't scratch my rye itch with what I have :)

Eagle Rare might be a good candidate, IF it is one of your favorite regular pours. I wouldn't go out of the way to stock up on anything just because you hear rumors it might become scarce, unless you already drink a lot of it.

I'm perfectly content to let things rock along. There's more good stuff on the shelves of my local today than I could drink in a lifetime. The only stocking up I will do is during the holiday sales.

I can't think of anything that I'm really kicking myself over not having "stocked up on" (except for Jefferson 10yr Rye; I'll admit - I wish I had bought a few more bottles of that). :)

Yeah I've got quite a few regrets but I'm in year 15 of bourbon obsession. That said, there is always something else to enjoy so big loss either.

I suppose that only HH knows what their long-term plan with EWSB is, but in light of their release of the 9 year old 2006 bottling, compared with their traditional 10 year old EWSB releases, that would get me stocking up on 2005 or earlier if I wasn't already well stocked (which I am on 2003's and 2004's). I just think that EWSB sings at 10 years old, and really sings at 10+ years old where I fortunately have a couple of bottles with older juice in them. By most accounts, the younger EWSB is not up to par. Time will tell which direction they go with future years' releases.

Edited by jeffrey r

If there's one thing I "stock up on", it's single barrel store selection that I really like. I don't stock up immediately, but if I find my first bottle EXCEPTIONAL (not just okay), I'll go back and get a couple extra bottles. Mostly because that single barrel will never come around again. Sorta like snowflakes....no 2 barrels exactly the same.

My glass is always half full, with that being said, if you are stickler for age statements it couldn't hurt to pick up few of your favorites. I don't know which bourbons will lose their age statements, but, I am sure that more bourbons will. EC12, ER10, RR10, could all lose their age statements. I believe that they (the distilleries) would drop age statements to conserve older bourbons to fill demands for other products.

I suppose that only HH knows what their long-term plan with EWSB is, but in light of their release of the 9 year old 2006 bottling, compared with their traditional 10 year old EWSB releases, that would get me stocking up on 2005 or earlier if I wasn't already well stocked (which I am on 2003's and 2004's). I just think that EWSB sings at 10 years old, and really sings at 10+ years old where I fortunately have a couple of bottles with older juice in them. By most accounts, the younger EWSB is not up to par. Time will tell which direction they go with future years' releases.

I revisited my 2006 EWSB yesterday, and still found it thin, solvent-y, and not up to the 2004's and 2005 that I have enjoyed.

My glass is always half full, with that being said, if you are stickler for age statements it couldn't hurt to pick up few of your favorites. I don't know which bourbons will lose their age statements, but, I am sure that more bourbons will. EC12, ER10, RR10, could all lose their age statements. I believe that they (the distilleries) would drop age statements to conserve older bourbons to fill demands for other products.

I'm finding it hard to find Blanton's and ER10. Buffalo Trace has come back. I suspect EC12 will get more scarce.

I also find it funny Makers has pallets of the stuff sitting around after their debacle in threatening to lower proof.

Maybe we've reached the point where, if you start to see one of your favorites disappearing from the shelves, it's time to grab a few for the bunker. It's hard to know. Two or three years ago it wasn't hard to find ETL or OWA, now they show up periodically, but just for a short period of time. At least around here, YMMV. Who knew? Now, if ETL is something you like, but not one of your always open on my bar, I reach for it one out of every 3 times, I'd cry if it disappeared standbys, then as others have noted, it's not really a big deal. There's plenty of other stuff you can buy.

I guess it's difficult to know until it's almost too late. And it may sound funny coming from a guy with well more than a hundred unopened bottles sitting in reserve, but there's always something good to drink even if something you like grows scarce.

Maybe I'm starting to get more bourbon-Zenish.

Yes, I'm surprised by some of the responses. I realize that guys like me are both part of the problem and what has made bourbon so popular recently. I'm 36 and own my own business, have come into enough money the past 5 years to start purchasing decent whiskey. Unfortunately there are lots of guys like me, so bourbon is scarce. The reality is, if you have $995 you can buy a bottle of Macallan 25 anywhere. But that's not the case for BT Antique Collection, or VW-anything. Or hell, even Weller 12 (can any of you guys still get this or Lot B??)- and all those whiskeys are great. So there's mistique to it. Do I think it's crazy to pay $2500 for a bottle of pappy 23? Of course! But I don't want to see the day when Eagle Rare or Blantons or Stagg Jr. can't be found on the shelves - and if that day is coming then I need to buy 10 bottles of each now.

I don't want to be presumptuous. But you guys act like good bourbon will always be easy to find. And man I hope I'm wrong. But ETL is gone. Weller 12 is gone. Good luck ever gettng BT Antique or VW. My question is, what's next? My guess is BT and Blantons. Then EC12. Eventually 10 year old bourbon is going to be nearly unheard of because the supply is gone because they sold it off at 4 and 6 year.

Edited by ReynoldsStrong

Resist the urge to panic, Reynolds. There's still a boatload of good to great bourbon on the shelf. Yeah, VW and BTAC aren't readily available, but you've already missed that opportunity. And there's an ocean of stuff aging in warehouses right now, with more being put into barrels every day. Is all of it going to be stellar? No, but a lot of it will be good to great. And while my crystal ball doesn't tell me when the current craze is going to end, I suspect it can't keep growing at the exponential rate that it has been lately. When the graph line levels off, there will be plenty to go around.

My advice - when you see a good price on a bottle you like, grab a couple more. As GABiker said above, if you find a single barrel store select that really rings your chimes, buy some more, as that particular taste profile will be gone forever. Take advantage of the more exotic/rare pour when you get the chance. Savor what you have, and don't fret over what you don't.

Of course, easy for me to say. I've got a good 20 years on you, and if I stopped buying today I'd have enough in the bunker to last me the better part of the next ten years, if I don't give too much of it away.

Resist the urge to panic, Reynolds. There's still a boatload of good to great bourbon on the shelf. Yeah, VW and BTAC aren't readily available, but you've already missed that opportunity. And there's an ocean of stuff aging in warehouses right now, with more being put into barrels every day. Is all of it going to be stellar? No, but a lot of it will be good to great. And while my crystal ball doesn't tell me when the current craze is going to end, I suspect it can't keep growing at the exponential rate that it has been lately. When the graph line levels off, there will be plenty to go around.

My advice - when you see a good price on a bottle you like, grab a couple more. As GABiker said above, if you find a single barrel store select that really rings your chimes, buy some more, as that particular taste profile will be gone forever. Take advantage of the more exotic/rare pour when you get the chance. Savor what you have, and don't fret over what you don't.

Of course, easy for me to say. I've got a good 20 years on you, and if I stopped buying today I'd have enough in the bunker to last me the better part of the next ten years, if I don't give too much of it away.

Tony makes a great point. Didn't I just read that there is more bourbon aging in KY right now than there has ever been?

Tony makes a great point. Didn't I just read that there is more bourbon aging in KY right now than there has ever been?

Yep...............

. . . . I don't want to be presumptuous. But you guys act like good bourbon will always be easy to find. And man I hope I'm wrong. . . . .

I'm not blase about it but neither am I overly concerned. In the 50 odd years I've been drinking Bourbon I have seen a number of changes in a traditionally boom or bust industry, but I've never seen a time when I couldn't find something suitable even if it wasn't my first choice. As for ETL, Blantons, Weller 12 et al, the distilleries have ramped up production and are busily building additional warehouse space to hold the increased stocks. More is being made than ever, so eventually more will be available across the board.

Bourbon is currently riding a wave of popularity but all waves crest and I'm willing to wait. I've had good bottles in the past and will have more good bottles in the future.

I agree with most of the responses in this thread, have yet to walk into a shop and not be able to find something good.

The Bourbon missile will eventually run out of fuel and come crashing back down to earth.

I agree with most of the responses in this thread, have yet to walk into a shop and not be able to find something good.

The Bourbon missile will eventually run out of fuel and come crashing back down to earth.

. . . [Harry snipped a bunch of the post he's replying to (aside - isn't the 3rd person presumptive?)] I don't want to be presumptuous. But you guys act like good bourbon will always be easy to find. And man I hope I'm wrong. But ETL is gone. Weller 12 is gone. Good luck ever gettng BT Antique or VW. My question is, what's next? My guess is BT and Blantons. Then EC12. Eventually 10 year old bourbon is going to be nearly unheard of because the supply is gone because they sold it off at 4 and 6 year.

I agree the most with what GA Biker said. If you find a single barrel store selection that you really like, grab several. Also I'd say, if you see a great sale on something you like. I tell myself stocking up can save on gas and time. Some items are only at certain stores, and not all the time. Take a measured approach. You know something else you want will appear in the near future.

P.S. The newest ER labels don't say single barrel.

That was my mo, keep shopping, keep looking and if you see something you want grab it cause it might not be there next time.

I really, really, really, don't want it to crash. Not good for anyone. When it comes down, I want a soft landing. Distilleries with some money in their pockets, some capacity to play with, no pressure to shove product out the door, and a keen eye for the enthusiast market could be golden for us.

Completely agree. Let the hysteria die down a bit, but keep enough interest that Distilleries will have the cash flow to innovate, along with a desire to improve. right now all they have to do is shove product out the door with the right branding and it gets scooped up. I want them to strive for better and unique products, while keeping the old standbys readily available.

Love trying the store select bottles although not all are great. When I find one I really like then a case (or two) go in the bunker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.