What bourbons/whiskeys are readily available now, but hard to find in 1-2 yrs?

ReynoldsStrong
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think there are enough people in the industry who remember the last glut that the established producers are not taking this current boom for granted. But they are making hay while the sun shines. The victims of the cresting wave are more likely to be smaller craft distillers who may find themselves unable to sell bottles of young whiskey for $50 as readily, if whiskey seeks to be as cool as it currently is, and they are forced to stand or fall purely on the merit of their products. But, some of them will survive and thrive, and there will also be more people out there who enjoy whiskey than there were before the craze kicked in, so even post-peak-whiskey, the market will be bigger and more robust. (For instance, I think rye is back as a style; I don't see it declining back to its former obscurity.)

I quite agree. Those who chase the latest and greatest will move on but many, many more consumers now have an awareness of Bourbon and Rye than before and I suspect a high percentage of them recognize a good thing, so I expect the market for Bourbon and Rye to grow. I expect also the spiraling prices will come down as interest shifts to QPR rather than image.

Rock Hill Farms is non-existant in central Ky right now. If and when it reappears, I plan to buy a case.

Rock Hill Farms is non-existant in central Ky right now. If and when it reappears, I plan to buy a case.

It was around as recently as last week at multiple stops I made. It usually just trickles into the stores 1 or 2 cases at a time (three to six bottles). Most I've seen are stocking it at the counter or behind glass at the end of an aisle. I was glad to see it back under $60, and I recall one store that was moving it at $53 and change.

I'd say your 12+yr old whiskeys are going to be the hardest hit in the next 1-2 years, but even they are coming back eventually.

Not panicking truly is the key. What people have said here is certainly true - there are so many great spirits out there. Sooner or later people are going to have to face the fact that they can't drink this stuff as fast as they've been buying it.

Myself included.

While I agree with Joe that a soft landing would be better for everyone, I don't see it on the cards. Feeding frenzies like these that have gone on this long just don't usually level off into stable rationality.

There will NOT come a day in our lifetimes (barring prohibition 2.0) when you can't march into a good liquor store and buy a pleasant bourbon or rye to drink.

There is also very little product on the shelves now for which there isn't a larger volume of future stock working its way down the pipes. Very little of what's on the shelves today is subject to any form of extinction, save for the ultra-limiteds.

So I'd say if you have been able to buy it on a regular shelf in the last year, even only once in a while, it may get just a little bit tougher to find in the next 1-2 years, but almost none of it is going extinct, and the days of it being there any day of the week are probably only a few years away.

• 2 weeks later...

If drinking well-made, quality Bourbons you truly appreciate for their flavors and aromas is your quest; Rest Easy! These will be available in plenty.

All brands? All ages? Extra aged? The answer is possibly; "No" to those questions. But those are not the right questions to ask; unless one is seeking an ever-increasing bunker including rare or even 'unicorn' offerings.

If that is your quest, you may in for increasing disappointment, at least for several years, unless you have very deep pockets, and a blind spot for price/taste/satisfaction issues.

If "investing" with a look to flip for profit is your aim... You Are NOT Among Friends here.

Joe is right about the hoped-for 'soft landing'. I pray that's what we get in a few years or so. I'd say it's at least as likely as not.

Here's part of an email I received from BT a few days ago.

Bourbon Shortage

We’re making more whiskey than ever at the Distillery, but demand continues to outstrip available supply, which means all of our whiskey brands remain on allocation. Because of this, brands such as Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Van Winkle, and the Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Thomas H. Handy, Sazerac Rye 18yr, and Eagle Rare 17yr) will continue to be on strict allocation and hard to find for the foreseeable future.

Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blanton’s, Weller, Sazerac Rye, Stagg Jr., and E. H. Taylor, Jr. will continue to be in short supply, but will benefit slightly from increased production more than a decade ago.

In addition to distilling more whiskey, adding more bottling lines, and hiring more people, we are taking additional steps to prepare for a growing future with the recently purchased 300 acres of adjacent farmland, also discussed in this newsletter, on which we intend to grow our own grains for a farm-to-table bourbon and build more barrel warehouses. Additionally, as we’ve mentioned in previous newsletters, former barrel warehouse buildings repurchased a few years ago on site at the Distillery are being re-ricked and used again as barrel storage warehouses, and plans are in the works to re-rick additional buildings on site in the next few years.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we try to catch up!

Most of this info was also put out over a year or two ago, but it seems a lot of folks have forgotten about it.

Joe

In addition to distilling more whiskey, adding more bottling lines, and hiring more people

I wonder if they'd hire an Aussie enthusiast? :cool:

That article was good news for Weller-heads, reading between those lines.

Remembering the same notice from last time, I think OWA was on the "strictly allocated list". So was Blanton's, if memory serves.

It has moved to "no promises, but it's starting to benefit from production ramp-up"

"Production increases more than a decade ago?" That's good news for ORVW10 and even W12/Lot B lovers in the medium term.

I am rather saddened that the news on the re-ricking continues to be vague and detail no quantifiable progress. How many warehouses did you re-rick in 2014/15? How many are you doing in 2015/16?

Reading from this it would seem like any blip in the market and we could see Wellers back sustainably on shelves in a lot of markets.

Good for us!

IIRC, BT sold two (maybe more?) rickhouses to the state way back when. They were turned into offices. I think those are the ones they bought back, and they're now repurposing them back into their originally intended use.

Joe

That's my understanding as well and a good deal for the State. Office space is a dead expense but aging Bourbon pays tax revenue every year.

I'd say your 12+yr old whiskeys are going to be the hardest hit in the next 1-2 years, but even they are coming back eventually.

I remember 5-6 yrs ago people predicting the reduction of 10yr products. Good thing I stashed a few of my favorite 10yrs because they still haven't come back.

That said, my crystal ball isn't any more clear than anyone else's. If you like something today, keep a spare on hand and maybe a couple extra when it goes on sale. Beyond that, we're still fighting the flippers for the foreseeable future. Can't wait for this boom to settle down into a nice strong market.

IIRC, BT sold two (maybe more?) rickhouses to the state way back when. They were turned into offices. I think those are the ones they bought back, and they're now repurposing them back into their originally intended use.

Joe

I've seen photos of one of these being re-ricked. I think the other one is still being leased by the state until the end of the year.

If drinking well-made, quality Bourbons you truly appreciate for their flavors and aromas is your quest; Rest Easy! These will be available in plenty.

All brands? All ages? Extra aged? The answer is possibly; "No" to those questions. But those are not the right questions to ask; unless one is seeking an ever-increasing bunker including rare or even 'unicorn' offerings.

If that is your quest, you may in for increasing disappointment, at least for several years, unless you have very deep pockets, and a blind spot for price/taste/satisfaction issues.

If "investing" with a look to flip for profit is your aim... You Are NOT Among Friends here.

Joe is right about the hoped-for 'soft landing'. I pray that's what we get in a few years or so. I'd say it's at least as likely as not.

Here's part of an email I received from BT a few days ago.

Bourbon Shortage

We’re making more whiskey than ever at the Distillery, but demand continues to outstrip available supply, which means all of our whiskey brands remain on allocation. Because of this, brands such as Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Van Winkle, and the Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Thomas H. Handy, Sazerac Rye 18yr, and Eagle Rare 17yr) will continue to be on strict allocation and hard to find for the foreseeable future.

Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blanton’s, Weller, Sazerac Rye, Stagg Jr., and E. H. Taylor, Jr. will continue to be in short supply, but will benefit slightly from increased production more than a decade ago.

In addition to distilling more whiskey, adding more bottling lines, and hiring more people, we are taking additional steps to prepare for a growing future with the recently purchased 300 acres of adjacent farmland, also discussed in this newsletter, on which we intend to grow our own grains for a farm-to-table bourbon and build more barrel warehouses. Additionally, as we’ve mentioned in previous newsletters, former barrel warehouse buildings repurchased a few years ago on site at the Distillery are being re-ricked and used again as barrel storage warehouses, and plans are in the works to re-rick additional buildings on site in the next few years.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we try to catch up!

Most of this info was also put out over a year or two ago, but it seems a lot of folks have forgotten about it.

Joe

How do we get on the email list for stuff like this?

How do we get on the email list for stuff like this?

I am on the email distribution list because I had some email correspondence with one of their consumer affairs associates. There should be a place on the website (Contact Us?) where you can sign up or at least send an email asking to be added to the list.

Jason

I am somehow on the same list.

Speaking of lists, years ago I was on the Wild Turkey rare breed list. I loved getting letters and even occasional small gifts. I remember one time it was chocolate truffles, yum

Basically all you have to do is go to the distillery websites, and signup. You can also do so if you ever visit any of the distilleries.

The first one I joined was back in 2007. I visited MM, and signed up to become a MM Ambassador. After that it was BT, Beam, FR's, Old Forester, WT, Rebel Yell, WR, and a couple more. It can be kinda fun at Xmas time. MM usually sends some sort of goofy MM related gift, which I actually think is kinda cool. FR's used to send a small gift too, but the last year or two it's only been a Xmas card. BT sends out a Xmas card, and FR's and BT also send birthday cards. On top of that, you get periodic updates from the different distilleries about news and happenings. It's all good fun, and it doesn't cost you anything.

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.