Do you ever drink bourbon in the morning or early afternoon?

thunderhead357
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ayup. I'll sometimes start photo editing around 1PM with a short pour that spawns siblings as the day progresses.

I'm enjoying a little pour of WLW 134.8 right now while my coffee is brewing. It's not my favorite WLW to have neat but such is life, you can't have everything. Boy do I wish I had a couple cases of the 117.9. That is such a great morning pour.

Just to be clear - while I CAN drink and have partaken in the AM or early PM, I don't usually. It's strange but true: Now that I don't have responsibilities or a need for a clear head, I actually drink less during a session than I did when working. It's also more spread out. In other words, I have no hard and fast rule of when to start. Used to.

I typically don't. I have two young boys that really won't allow for that. Though if they are staying at their grandparents, all bets are off at that point.

Usually on the golf course I'll have a few measures of "swing lube". I like to play in the mornings so, yep.

Cocktail hour used to come between work and dinner. In retirement, it meant 5:00 at first. Then it crept back to 3:00 or 2:30. If I manage to live long enough, it should eventually evolve into the Breakfast of Champions.

Yes, moderation, both W.C. Fields and Winston Churchill cautioned one shouldn't drink anything stronger than whisky before breakfast.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning! Seriously I'll have a drink anytime, as others have said, as long as its safe to do so

I try to keep it an "after 5:00" thing, and I usually try to get in a workout after work, so it ends up being 6-6:30.

There have been the rare weekdays where I've felt the need for a pour earlier though, and if I bring home something I can't wait to try, I'll have a pour as soon as I get in the door with it.

On a daily routine I have my Bourbon at about 8 PM when the wife brings the kids to bed. But holidays, off days or weekends are different. But rarely before 3 PM.

Nothing better than a pre8am pour on the deck, watching the fog lift from the lake. But thats only on the weekends.

What was that job?
I'll answer for Kickert, as I've heard he is a busy guy in Swaziland :cool:, he was the distillery manager at Corsair.

Right on both counts!

I remember one time when we were doing a seasonal whiskey we were running the still non-stop in two shifts. The evening guy would knock off at about 10pm, leave his cuts and charge the still for the next morning. Morning guy would come in at 6am, start the still and jump right into blending the previous batch. Nothing like blending (and tasting) whiskey at 6am!

Now that I am in Swaziland and spend many weekend just hanging around the house, it is still not unusual to have a breakfast pour.

Sometimes I come home from work, pour a glass of whiskey and promptly fall asleep on the couch (I work nights). The only time I drink in the morning is when I wake up and there's a drink already there for me on the coffee table.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, when I'm in Florida every February with my band some of us stay at our guitar player's house on Siesta Key in Sarasota, and some of us stay at the condo on the beach (including me.) My ritual is Makers and OJ on the deck watching the Gulf while my coffee is brewing. That's about the only time I drink in the morning....but it's a nice wake-up cocktail! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.