Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johnnybogey

What Rye did you purchase today? Fall / Winter 2015

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

zeeck

Not a purchase but my wife bought me a bottle of HWMND Act 3, Scene 2 as a V-day present!  She's done alright by me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 2/13/2016, 8:23:30, LCWoody said:

I passed on the LS&B but did pick up the EHT Rye. I may have to go back and pick up the LS&B, that's as cheep as I've ever seen it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dc27b1ccf6acc7f4fa75513

 

 

On 2/13/2016, 2:21:46, BigRich said:

Yeah I might even pull the trigger if I saw it sub $100

 

As might I. Never really seemed to catch on for some reason and I still see it one the shelf locally but not at that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Yes, the LSBs seem to sit like monuments to an early high price attempt that failed.

I remember the producer stating that it was their intention two years later to release the same stuff as 15yr at a higher price point.

Would've liked to taste the 15, but after getting burned on the 13, I don't think a lot of stores would order them from their distributors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Well, so much for my buying hiatus. :huh:  My local grocery store still has Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye on sale. After all the discussion here, my curiosity got the better of me, and I bought a bottle Saturday. What can I say? ^_^

Cheers! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

^^^^^^^^^Dang Joe, that's at least two ryes this year isn't it?^^^^^^^^^;)

P. S. Me thinks you'll find that NHR a pretty easy sipper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

The Jack Daniels "Single Barrel" Rye hit town this week. It is in the same bottle as the JD Single Barrel bourbon but with a maroon colored label and weighing in at the same proof (94).

Price is around $50 or so like the "unaged" and "rested" rye before it. Going to be tough to sell any leftover bottles of those two when the new release is higher proof, older (although NAS I presume it is at least 4 years old) but costs about the same.

Much too expensive, as they all were, but I of course bought one because, well, it was there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amg
6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Jack Daniels "Single Barrel" Rye hit town this week. It is in the same bottle as the JD Single Barrel bourbon but with a maroon colored label and weighing in at the same proof (94).

Price is around $50 or so like the "unaged" and "rested" rye before it. Going to be tough to sell any leftover bottles of those two when the new release is higher proof, older (although NAS I presume it is at least 4 years old) but costs about the same.

Much too expensive, as they all were, but I of course bought one because, well, it was there!

I've been curious about that one. Can't wait to read your notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz

Picked up a High West Double Rye. I really like the Rendezvous Rye and read a few good reviews of the DR. It was $35, which I think is a few bucks under retail or on the low side of retail and thought I'd give it a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry

I like the double rye, but not nearly as much as the rendezvous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigPapa
9 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I like the double rye, but not nearly as much as the rendezvous.

How would you compare the 2 to each other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

The JD Rye for those that might be curious. Hopefully get into it next week at the latest. Excessively spendy because it is "Jack Daniels" of course but a 70% rye mashbill and I am curious to see how it has progressed with age.

56c72598c6434_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye56c7259b3a41c_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry

I haven't finished off the double rye yet, but I've had two different bottles of rendezvous and liked both quite a bit. I haven't figured either of them out really. The flavors in the rr are hard to pick or because they all kind of blend together. They mesh well to me though, and make a pretty unique taste.

the double rye has a lot of similarities, but just seems to be missing the edge I get from the rr. It might just be that I know the rr better and I automatically compare the two. I need to drink more of the double rye on its own. At the moment I always try the DR and wind up getting a taste for the RR. If that makes sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz

I paid $35 for the DR and $53 for the RR so even if I prefer the RR, there may still be a place on my shelf for future bottles of the DR if I like it enough. 

Edited by Charlutz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meadeweber
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The JD Rye for those that might be curious. Hopefully get into it next week at the latest. Excessively spendy because it is "Jack Daniels" of course but a 70% rye mashbill and I am curious to see how it has progressed with age.

56c72598c6434_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye56c7259b3a41c_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye

It sure is purr-ty.

I don't seeing myself buying it though unless I can be assured it doesn't have that JD banana taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
4 hours ago, meadeweber said:

It sure is purr-ty.

I don't seeing myself buying it though unless I can be assured it doesn't have that JD banana taste. 

I am not the best judge as I don't seem to have the "banana gene" but I will try to get a few others to try it as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz

Saw it at 2 stores tonight at $60. I passed. Maybe after I see a review or two. Too many good ryes out there for less. Pikesville 110 anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not the best judge as I don't seem to have the "banana gene" but I will try to get a few others to try it as well!

If Jackie's doesn't have it in when I stop by there tomorrow, I trust I might be one of those few others to get a try?   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amg
8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

It sure is purr-ty.

I don't seeing myself buying it though unless I can be assured it doesn't have that JD banana taste. 

The "review" that one of the chains here posted trying to get me to buy it mentioned the banana note. That's one of the reasons I've hesitated on it. (that and an overabundance of good rye in the bunker)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
28 minutes ago, amg said:

The "review" that one of the chains here posted trying to get me to buy it mentioned the banana note. That's one of the reasons I've hesitated on it. (that and an overabundance of good rye in the bunker)

Andrew, I don't find the banana note in Daniel's whiskies to be off-putting at all to my tastes...but, their unaged rye that I have tried has it in so much abundance that I can't help but think it will carry over to this 4 yr to some noticeable degree.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry

I can find the double rye even cheaper here at around $29 a bottle, but the rendezvous is about the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

If Jackie's doesn't have it in when I stop by there tomorrow, I trust I might be one of those few others to get a try?   :)

I expect we can make that happen! Are you going to the White Elephant event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I expect we can make that happen! Are you going to the White Elephant event?

I knew I could count on you.  :D

I'm looking forward to the WE.  Been kicking myself I missed last time.  Got my Boston's today, courtesy of BigRich.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

I will make an effort to bring the JD Rye along that night. Nothing says we can't be drinking other whiskey while the exchange is happening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I will make an effort to bring the JD Rye along that night. Nothing says we can't be drinking other whiskey while the exchange is happening!

Bruce, I would be disappointed with you if it was anything less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
4 hours ago, BigRich said:

Bruce, I would be disappointed with you if it was anything less.

As would I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.