NOW What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

robbyvirus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see the last "What Bourbon Are You Drinking?" thread is locked, so I figured I'd start a new one. Tonight I started with a nip of Weller 12 yo and then moved on to a bit of Sazerac rye. What are the rest of you drinking tonight?

Last night it was Michters Single Barrel Bourbon 10y.

It was a nice change of pace drink. It has some flavors

I haven't found in other bourbons. Not sure it was worth

the price. I'll put it in the "variety is the spice of life

category" toast.gif

my last bourbon was Kentucky Spirit...it was the first time in a long time since I have had it...it is no doubt an excellent bourbon...but I have never been a total Turkey fan...I drink 101 when out because it is often the best of the limited choices but when buying a bottle of premium, i am getting to the point where it is down to almost ANY Buffalo Trace distillery product, Woodford/Forester and EWSB and EC12 and thats about it. I will of course continue to experiment with others for we all know tastes do change and evolve, and new products do appear...I haven't had them all...yet... but my preferred tastes are definately being sharpened.

I'm re-trying the Van Winkle 10yo 90 proof. I'm a big Van Winkle fan -- Weller's 12yo is a current favorite -- but was disappointed in this bottling when I opened it a week or so ago. I like it better tonight, but it still doesn't 'Wow!' me. And, I'm altogether surprised to even be slightly negative (or, at least, no altogether positive) about a Van Winkle bourbon.

Sniff, Sniff

Poor little me is sitting at work, unable to join in. I hope everyone enjoys whatever they have in their glass and think of those of us who can't. Of course at 7am I'll be heading home where I can already hear Hirsch 16 calling my name...softly...is it 7 yet?????

Weller 107... at first the bite was a bit too much for me, but paired with a full bodied cigar has made this, currently, my go to burbon.

Tonight I am having my first taste of the OFBBFA03 (Fall Birthday Bourbon). I think I was expecting something similar to last years release. It's not like that at all IMHO. There is a perfuminess to it that takes a moment to get past. Medium bodied with a nose of apricots and a taste of wood and vanilla. Finish is relatively short with just a little vanilla remaining in the back of the throat to remind you it was there. My first impression is I like it. More to come...

I'm having Weller 107 tonight. I bought the bottle based on my favorable impression of Weller 12 year old. The reviews here were mixed, so I only bought a 375ml, but I think I like it enough to buy a 750ml. Although it has a definite burn to it, I wouldn't consider it harsh. The Weller product line is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Welcome to the club. I think, on a value basis, the Wellers may be the best ones out there. Even the base 7yo Special Reserve 90-proof is tasty, and the 80-proof Rebel Yell (now a David Sherman product -- reputedly still using the original recipe -- but once a Stitzel-Weller brand) is marvelous for around $10 a 750 ml. And, Weller 12 has become one of my go-to drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been on an Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo kick, but last night after the first glass it felt like I still had an 'itch' that ERSB just wasn't going to 'scratch', so I switched to EC12. When in doubt, that always seems to do the job.

drink.gif

Well, tonight I openned the last bottle of Sazerac 18 available in the state of VA. The manager of the ABC said that I should drink it slowly. I am not sure that this can happen since this stuff is so very good! toast.gif

blush.gif Mmmmm Tonight i am savoring the smokey flavor of Wild Turkey,I tried it again for the first time in years, a few night ago and just had to revisit. I am blown away by the compexity of what i "had" considered a simple bourbon.This is going to be a go-to bourbon of mine from now on,I believe. drink.gifcool.gif

last night it was Ancient Ancient Age 10 year....if I have any "standards" then this is one of them....(Buffalo Trace and Weller 12 along with AAA seem to always be my benchmark Bourbons)

Last night was a good night. Started off with Woodford Reserve, and then opened up a bottle of Stagg '03... yummy. Not having the '02 handy to compare, I can't say for sure, but I do think last years was better. However, that didn't stop me from enjoying a good amount of it drink.gif

Steve

Last night was a nostalgic kind of evening. So it was "The Fox on the Rocks" (Kinda sounds like Dr. Suess) Not many Virginia Gentleman posts lately. This bourbon really is solid, with lots of great flavor and a sweet, caramel bouquet. I had to hold my pants to keep'm from gettin' drink.gif away.

Tonight it's Maker's Mark on the rocks, and I don't care what any of you think about it! I like it yum.gif

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Well, I'd planned to take a night off -- even had fruit-punch Kool-Aid earlier. But, sitting here in front of the computer, I poured a little of the 1989 Evan Williams single barrel I found for around $20 ($18.50 or so after the discount the store owner generously -- and usually -- gives me). He has a little mini-stash with orange wax (celebrating UT's 1998 football national championship) that I think I'm going to buy out as soon as Christmas passes. A new item on my (ever-expanding) 'favorites' list.

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. (the 13 yr) This is one of the Heritage Collection and is excellent. I have had the Weller's Centennial which I love, and I know I.W.Harper, which is now export-only, is in the Collection, but what are the other 2? or is it 3? I wish Old Charters of any age were more readily available...

Here are the others in the Heritage Collection. (There are 5 in total) They are:

- IW Harper 15 YO

- WL Weller Centennial 10YO

- Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 YO

- George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10 YO

- Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 YO

post-87-14489811337098_thumb.jpg

Tonight it is the Rock ,,, Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel Three fingers deep and straight up .....Life is gooooodd

Bill g.

Salute ! drink.gif

Buckky,

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve is a favorite of mine. I did some tasting notes on it awhile back. If you can get ahold of the 12 YO Classic, that is excellent as well!

Bob

Speaking of the Heritage Collection, I somehow managed to find a single bottle of IW Harper in a liquor store in Atlanta, Georgia last week. I'm not sure how it got there (it was hidden behind a number of bottles of Weller) but I snapped it up...I haven't tasted it yet, since I'm saving it until I get back to San Francisco. It's been a good trip, bourbon-wise, since I also found a couple of bottles of Weller 19yo, Stagg, and Birthday Bourbon, as well as 4 dusty bottles of Van Winkle Old Time Rye (12 yo) in a liquor store near Lexington, KY. I'm sipping on some of the rye right now, and I'll probably use it to toast in the New Year as well.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!