NOW What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

robbyvirus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

dhooch,

As others have said before, I'd like to offer you my free Blanton's disposal service. Please PM me, and I'll take that nasty Blanton's puke.gif off your hands. You see, it's my all time favorite bourbon yum.gif.

Bob Kaufman

I just finished a bottle of VWFR 12 "lot b'.Currently

opened is Pure Kentucky XO. First time for this one.

a little harsh at first but now I am enjoying it.

Since I have a lot of blind taste tests with friends, I am almost out of the Blanton bourbon. By the way, nobody has selected this bourbon as a top tasting bourbon. If not for the fact that I have so little left, I would send it to you. I will keep you in mind in the future, though.

You may be right! I don't know all the protocols, yet. blush.gif

I just know that Blanton bourbon was such a disappointment for me. The bottle is beautiful!!! The distillery and the folks there are wonderful! However, there are many excellent bourbons on the market that are far superior to Blanton.

Yes, this is only my opinion. Many others have different tastes than mine. I will try not to be so vocal, in the future. smirk.gif

Tonight I'm experimenting with a--gasp--home made blend of Pure KY XO and Old Bourbon Hollow.

Tommy

Tonight, its Makers, from a black and blue wax dipped "Panthers" bottle. I'm in Charlotte and heading to the Bank of America building for a pre-Super Bowl Bash. My Brother-In-Law got a bottle and said he was saving for the day the Panthers got to the Super Bowl. Who knew it be a year later.

Go figure.

toast.gif

I needed a good one sooooo it's bowdown.gif ORVW 15 yr 107 ....in a hot toddy ... the wannabe farmer is abit sore tonight ....

Bill g. drink.gifdrink.gifdrink.gifdrink.gif

Buffalo Trace vs. (this an intra-mural contest) Blanton's. The Trace has a complex flavour, nutty, caramel corn, with nutmeg-like spice. A good one. I'd like it just a bit older but it is good as it comes, very good. Blanton's strikes me as less good, woody but not smoky, corn-like but lightish, less complex than Buffalo Trace. Both are fine products and well worth the money, but Trace has the edge. For no particular reason, I chased these with a Russian-made beer which tasted like a watered-down Pilsener but did the job. I tip my hat to Buffalo Trace which makes many fine traditional whiskeys.

Gary

This morning I got off work after 12 hours of mindnumbing boredom and decided to give Johnny Drum 15yr a chance to redeem my poor first impressions. I really like the nose on this bourbon, but for some reason, there is a big letdown. The only word I have for the taste is HARSH. I've seen some posts here that speak highly of it, so I must have a bad bottle. When I first picked it up, I shared my first taste with two friends who also didn't care at all for it, so I don't think it was my poorly developed and overly abused taste buds. Sorry, Drum fans, but I'll probably not march to that beat again. I'll just have to find some other use for it. I may have to experiment on blending it with others I find at least tolerable.

Interesting. Here is Sauceguide's take on this whiskey:

"Very light and supple, opens up nicely with butterscotch, caramel, gingerbread, caffe latte, cocoa powder, nutmeg, expresso, and a light oaky garnish".

Charlie Thomason, in describing the hallmarks of Willett's whiskeys, mentioned their fruity aroma (ripe apple, he said). This 15 year old does not seem to have this taste or nose. However Sauceguide's description of Johnny Drum 12-year-old states, "Mellow vanilla, creme caramel, baked apple...". If these whiskeys are Willet's, maybe the 12 year old still has one of the signatures whereas the wood in the 15 year old might obscure it.

Gary

It looks as though you and I should concoct a secret handshake. I share in every particular the unpopular opinion that you expressed in regard to Blanton's vs. Buffalo Trace.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

If you care to discuss what bourbon you are drinking now try conducting a search and see if there is a tasting notes post on it already in the tastings forum. If there is a post on it already, make a reply giving us your impressions of it. If there isn't one, feel free to use the following template (just copy and paste it) to write up your own reviews. Even if you are not the best writer or taster, using the template makes it easy. Plus it sparks interest in the tastings forum and adds to the board as well as opening up a dialogue about a specific pour. Thanks

<preamble -- whatever opening remarks you would like to make introducing this bottling>

Name: <The product label, including any age statement>

Info: <Batch No., Bottle No., etc...>

Distillery: <Distillery info>

Cost: <What you paid, and where>

Proof: <Bottling’s proof statement>

Bottle: <Description of shape/type of bottle>

Color: <Description of the physical attributes of the liquid itself>

Body: <Thin, thick, how it cllings to glass, mouthfeel, etc>

Nose: <Olfactory impressions>

Taste: <Description of the initial taste impression>

Finish: <Description of the lingering taste impression>

Overall: <Overall impression of this bottling>

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!