Regional Differences within Kentucky

skltbref
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think its to enhance the aging process. For example, in the winter, they can raise then lower then raise then lower the temperature thus creating more expansion/contraction to continually occur within the barrels.

All of the distilleries that have heated masonry warehouses have experimented with forced cycling, although there doesn't seem to be any consensus about its efficacy. The theory is that below a certain temperature the whiskey is essentially dormant, so the winter months are wasted as no cycling occurs. ("Cycling" is the term for the expansion of warm whiskey into the wood of the barrel and the subsequent contraction out of the wood as it cools. In the warm months, such a cycle occurs daily with the whiskey reaching its maximum expansion in the heat of the day and its maximum contraction in the cool of the night.) In the winter, they will heat the warehouses up to some appropriate temperature (higher, I believe than the normal room temperature of 72 degrees), hold them at that temperature for some number of hours, then turn off the heat and let them reach the ambient temperature before repeating the cycle. Buffalo Trace has discussed this more than some of the other distillers, but I know Brown-Forman also has done it at the Early Times plant. Whether or not it really "works" is still a subject of some debate.

Brown-Forman also has done it at the Early Times plant.

If memory serves me, I believe Chris Morris told us in 2002 that they heat cycle at Labrot& Graham.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.