Rebel Yell 10 Year SB

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, skj said:

I picked up a W12 and a RYSB10 last week but I haven't done a SBS yet.  I wonder though about the superior on price comment. The W12 was about half the price of the RYSB10 - $22 vs $42. Was your cost significantly different?

We almost NEVER get Weller 12 in Middle GA - when we do, it's $69-$89.  Saw one last week for $89 - passed.

Finally got a bottle of the RYSB10. Nice and smooth. I'll definitely get another one.

To skj's question, having tried both W12 and the RY, it's easy to say the W12 as good or better for half the price, but it's also much harder to find. 

On 11/7/2016 at 3:53 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I think you mean Luxco. Luxardo is a former Croatian, now Italian, liqueur maker of a whole 'nuther color. Many colors in fact!

Yes, Luxco. Pardon the slip. Those Luxardo cherries are spectacular, though. ;)

I was told today that the RYSB is not approved for sale in MissourI yet.  That seems odd because Luxco is a St. Louis based company.

Edited by Clueby

The RY10SB is oaky and not as sweet as most other wheated bourbons. I was expecting something fairly comparable to W12 and got nothing of the sort. It will be awhile before I come back to the bottle. I'll let it sit in the glass awhile longer next time too. It deserves a second chance.

15 hours ago, M777 said:

I'm having a really hard time getting my hands on a bottle of this stuff here in NE IL. The hunt continues........

I was at Binny's in Lincolnwood yesterday, & they had several on the shelf.

6 hours ago, DeepCover said:

The RY10SB is oaky and not as sweet as most other wheated bourbons. I was expecting something fairly comparable to W12 and got nothing of the sort. It will be awhile before I come back to the bottle. I'll let it sit in the glass awhile longer next time too. It deserves a second chance.

Funny how our taste buds work, I found I much prefer RYSB10 to Weller 12 (2015 bottling) - wasn't even close! I have barrel #4744355 (drinking some of the last of the bottle as I write this). Thank God I have two more bottles in my bunker!

Edited by starhopper

My first pour of this I wasn't too impressed - however I went back and couldn't believe I didn't love it the first time - fast forward 30 days and I just finished the second bottle last night and have 10 more in reserve.  It is a very good bourbon and it shows you can't always go by the first impression

1 hour ago, Hop said:

My first pour of this I wasn't too impressed - however I went back and couldn't believe I didn't love it the first time - fast forward 30 days and I just finished the second bottle last night and have 10 more in reserve.  It is a very good bourbon and it shows you can't always go by the first impression

Only the ten then? Sounds precarious :)

12 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Only the ten then? Sounds precarious :)

Your Right!  what was I thinking I need to add more

On 11/16/2016 at 6:47 PM, M777 said:

I'm having a really hard time getting my hands on a bottle of this stuff here in NE IL. The hunt continues........

On 11/17/2016 at 10:42 AM, Whiskeythink.com said:

I was at Binny's in Lincolnwood yesterday, & they had several on the shelf.

I've seen it at every binny's I've been to, so check out the closest one to you!

I'm a little more than 2 1/2 weeks since I opened the bottle and it seems to have mellowed a bit, but I'm still not crazy about it. It doesn't taste like Weller, which I don't think anyone has said, so don't buy this bottle as a W12 substitute. It definitely has the HH oaky, peanutty flavor often associated with Beam, but definitely similar to EC12 or HMcK10, even though it's got wheat. For me, it's a (much) better, and much more expensive, version of Larceny. I will continue to let the whiskey get some air and hopefully the flavor responds with time. Net: I like it, but won't repurchase for $50 unless the flavor shifts.

Finally found some of this - in Oregon. 

Just cracked it and first impressions are positive. I hate Larceny but find this to be quite nice. We'll see how it goes as I get into it further. 

10 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I'm a little more than 2 1/2 weeks since I opened the bottle and it seems to have mellowed a bit, but I'm still not crazy about it. It doesn't taste like Weller, which I don't think anyone has said, so don't buy this bottle as a W12 substitute. It definitely has the HH oaky, peanutty flavor often associated with Beam, but definitely similar to EC12 or HMcK10, even though it's got wheat. For me, it's a (much) better, and much more expensive, version of Larceny. I will continue to let the whiskey get some air and hopefully the flavor responds with time. Net: I like it, but won't repurchase for $50 unless the flavor shifts.

Wheaters from totally different distilleries don't tend to taste all that much alike to me.  Each distillery/NDP seems to have its own house style.  Which brings me to my second point: mashbill is an important characteristic in final outcome, but there are many other equally important factors: distillation process, barrel preparation, aging location, rack house configuration, blending preferences for non-single barrel whiskies, etc etc etc.  My blind tasting experience has shown me that I am much more likely to be able to identify like distillery with like than like mashbill with like.  Admittedly, I am a total hack with a mediocre palate, but you use the tools you have . . .

12 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Charlie - probably because mine is a different barrel,  I don't get ANY "Beam like" peanutty flavors - and thank God, because I hate that flavor in my bourbon! In a SbS with Weller 12,  I find RYSB10 has more depth of flavor than Weller 12 (2015 bottling), actually better IMHO.  I hate Larceny, but love this stuff!  But, as has been said time and again, different strokes for different folks!

Edited by starhopper

Weller 12 is cheaper when you can find it at retail, but I'm enjoying this a lot more than Weller 12. It wasn't easy to get in central Indiana, though. I hope we get more of the next run.

22 minutes ago, amg said:

Weller 12 is cheaper when you can find it at retail, but I'm enjoying this a lot more than Weller 12. It wasn't easy to get in central Indiana, though. I hope we get more of the next run.

When we DO get Weller 12 in middle Georgia, it goes for $69-$89 - so the RYSB10 is a much better deal for me!

4 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Wheaters from totally different distilleries don't tend to taste all that much alike to me.  Each distillery/NDP seems to have its own house style.  Which brings me to my second point: mashbill is an important characteristic in final outcome, but there are many other equally important factors: distillation process, barrel preparation, aging location, rack house configuration, blending preferences for non-single barrel whiskies, etc etc etc.  My blind tasting experience has shown me that I am much more likely to be able to identify like distillery with like than like mashbill with like.  Admittedly, I am a total hack with a mediocre palate, but you use the tools you have . . .

Don't forget about yeast. Very important and often overlooked. 

16 hours ago, flahute said:

Finally found some of this - in Oregon. 

Just cracked it and first impressions are positive. I hate Larceny but find this to be quite nice. We'll see how it goes as I get into it further. 

Steve,

There is quite a bit of this available in the Portland area, and you can check availability at the OLCC's website, http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com/

It's too bad you don't like Larceny, as I really enjoy it -- but I guess that's more for me!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Dean

13 minutes ago, Queball said:

Steve,

There is quite a bit of this available in the Portland area, and you can check availability at the OLCC's website, http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com/

It's too bad you don't like Larceny, as I really enjoy it -- but I guess that's more for me!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Dean

That website is how I found it! I'm on the other side of the mountains in Sunriver and found it on the way in Redmond. 

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Don't forget about yeast. Very important and often overlooked. 

Indeed, yeast is one I meant to include.  Apparently my memory is as good as my palate.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a store about 45mins away that has 4 available. Worth the drive and the 49$ to try it? I see it being compared to Wellers 12 which is one of my favz and might keep me out of the 3 bottles I have at the moment. Lol

My bottle has been open for about month now and is down to about 1/4 left. So it's well decanted. As good as Weller 12? Forget that, it's as good as Van Winkle 12...

...I say only ever having a bottle of W12 4 years ago and dram of VW12 2 years ago.

Note: "better" does not mean it tastes the same. It tastes nothing like BT wheated bourbon. I respect those who prefer it. Indeed, I envy them because they've found an available bourbon they like a lot. Just don't buy it thinking it will taste like Weller because it doesn't. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.