Rebel Yell 10 Year SB

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like and appreciate your review of this apprentice. I have seen this on the shelf a few times but paused before buying it.  Now I know I'll pass on it. I have a Rebell Yell wheated I was gifted and it's so-so which is why I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the single barrel.

On 1/13/2016 at 1:46 PM, ramblinman said:

HH or not, a 10 year wheater coming on the market is interesting and worth a try. At 100pf I'll hope it makes an acceptable substiture for OWA which I don't see much anymore.

I tried RY special Reserve a couple years ago under $20, it was a little thin for me.  But at 100 pr, I may give this a try.

I was ready to write this one off as a bust until I tried it with a splash. It went from one dimensional on the nose with a muddled HOT flavor profile, to a complex sipper with a pink bubble gum sweet note and a nice musty oak lingering finish (similar to the finish on HMK10yr). 

Edited by BDanner

5 hours ago, amg said:

I thought it was excellent with not much heat at all. I wonder if there's a lot of barrel variation.

I just tried it again in a sbs with OWA. It's a LOT hotter than the OWA even at it's lower proof (100 vs 107), and even after sitting for about 15 minutes. It's a lot oilier feeling and has a more complex palate than the OWA without near as much sweetness. It's not that I don't like it. I'm just still trying to wrap my head around it. It's unlike any wheater I've tried. Others have compared it to Old Fitz BIB but not getting that either. A lot of woody leather at the end with that old oak astringent tingle.

Barrel 4744357

17 hours ago, amg said:

I thought it was excellent with not much heat at all. I wonder if there's a lot of barrel variation.

There must be a decent amount. I loved mine. Out of curiosity what Barrel did you get? I acquired three total from two different stores but they all are barrel #4744362.

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

I just tried it again in a sbs with OWA. It's a LOT hotter than the OWA even at it's lower proof (100 vs 107), and even after sitting for about 15 minutes. It's a lot oilier feeling and has a more complex palate than the OWA without near as much sweetness. It's not that I don't like it. I'm just still trying to wrap my head around it. It's unlike any wheater I've tried. Others have compared it to Old Fitz BIB but not getting that either. A lot of woody leather at the end with that old oak astringent tingle.

Barrel 4744357

I agree with this assessment as far as the RY having a much stronger oak backbone that OWA. My barrel ,at least, also had some sweet notes too-apple pie filling and carmel sauce. A nice balance for me as opposed to the OWA which can sometimes be all cinnamon red hots. 

2 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

My barrel ,at least, also had some sweet notes too-apple pie filling and carmel sauce. A nice balance for me as opposed to the OWA which can sometimes be all cinnamon red hots. 

I could have written these exact words to describe my experience with RY10 so far, right down to the comparison to OWA.

I just love the apple pie filling/caramel sauce thing it has going.

46 minutes ago, flahute said:

I could have written these exact words to describe my experience with RY10 so far, right down to the comparison to OWA.

I just love the apple pie filling/caramel sauce thing it has going.

Yep, already looking forward to next year's (larger) release. And already concerned about the "Booker's Effect" on the price. 

7 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

There must be a decent amount. I loved mine. Out of curiosity what Barrel did you get? I acquired three total from two different stores but they all are barrel #4744362.

Looks like mine is #4744368. I didn't get it locally, though.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jkersh said:

I thought this was a bit odd for "aged since". Anyone else have this or know why it's just a "1"?

IMG_2711.JPG

I think that is the slash between the month and year and they just never field in a month and year.

Yesterday's pickup the Jeffersons Old Rum Cask, along with some Caol ila 12, and a HUGE sampler of EC 12.  The top is my yearly collection. IMG_2183_zpsznyuhjmm.jpgIMG_2186_zps73uiax0x.jpg

5 hours ago, Jkersh said:

I thought this was a bit odd for "aged since". Anyone else have this or know why it's just a "1"?

IMG_2711.JPG

none the less a beautiful bottle! 

someone got lazy during bottling perhaps?  Looks like they left the year out. My most recent open showed 9/2005

IMG_5764.JPG

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

I think that is the slash between the month and year and they just never field in a month and year.

That's also how I read it. 

• 6 months later...

Opened my second bottle and am still impressed. If Heaven Hill had released this as old Fitzgerald 10 yr limited edition they would have sold out at $80-$100 a bottle.  Thank god they sold it to Luxco and marketed it under a bottom shelf name. Hope I see another drop.

IMG_20170818_203801.jpg

Edited by Bbstout

5 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Opened my second bottle and am still impressed. If Heaven Hill had released this as old Fitzgerald 10 yr limited edition they would have sold out at $80-$100 a bottle.  Thank god they sold it to Luxco and marketed it under a bottom shelf name. Hope I see another drop.

IMG_20170818_203801.jpg

Yep. Or even if they bottled it as an LE version of Larceny. I'll still stock up when I see these at the prices I've gotten them for so far

On 9/8/2016 at 5:13 PM, garbanzobean said:

Is there any confirmation that this is actually wheated bourbon?  I looked on the TTB submission page for acknowledgement but did not see any.  I only bring this up because a 10yr 100+ proof wheater with another name would have (sadly) easily pulled $100+ with a fancy label like blood oath.  Heck, at 12 years and cask strength they could have charged about anything they wanted.

I only bring this up because I love HH wheaters and even with the odious name and history of the brand am excited to get this.  Afraid to get my hopes up.

LOL. 

I feel the same way. I'm definitely going to have to try it. And it can't be any worse than Blood Oath. :-) (I paid $140 for the #3, including tax, which for such a rarified price was insultingly mediocre, and the #2 wasn't any better).

Edited by BourbonDude

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

LOL. 

I feel the same way. I'm definitely going to have to try it. And it can't be any worse than Blood Oath. :-) (I paid $140 for the #3, including tax, which for such a rarified price was insultingly mediocre, and the #2 wasn't any better).

I never fell for Blood Oath, though I did buy two of the RY10yr.  Have not opened them,  as my alcohol consumption has bottomed out to an all time low in the past year. 

BO#3 has been sitting on the shelf here for weeks at under $70. As for RY10 I was burned so bad on my first bottle that I can't bring myself to try it again. A month or 2 ago I passed on the 2nd release at $50. I paid $60+shipping for 1st release and it wasn't very good. All heat and bitter oak finish (and I LIKE oaky bourbons). There was literally no wheater sweetness. It was a hot mess.

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

BO#3 has been sitting on the shelf here for weeks at under $70. As for RY10 I was burned so bad on my first bottle that I can't bring myself to try it again. A month or 2 ago I passed on the 2nd release at $50. I paid $60+shipping for 1st release and it wasn't very good. All heat and bitter oak finish (and I LIKE oaky bourbons). There was literally no wheater sweetness. It was a hot mess.

PM me and I'll send you a sample of a different barrel if you're interested in trying another. I've liked this stuff but I've only tried a few barrels. Maybe I've gotten lucky with the ones I've tried or maybe my taste buds aren't as discriminating as some other people here. With a bunch of barrels there is bound to be some variation though so I don't doubt that some people have gotten better ones than others. 

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I'll let you try mine as well (from the more recent release of it here in town) when we cross paths again.

It definitely does NOT taste like any Weller or Makers or other wheaters I've tried.  It's different and that's why I like it. 

Find my self constantly drawn to the bottle, because I can't figure it out.  It's like a new girlfriend in my sea of familiar faces. :)

Yes, it doesn't taste like any other wheater to me too. In my humble opinion wine barrel aging and finishing is just not right for bourbon. In the case of the #3, which used Calif. Cab barrels, it takes the flavor profile in the wrong direction, imparting a somewhat tart, sour fruit quality a little like raspberry or sour cherry on my palate. While that might be fine for certain wines, it just doesn't work for bourbon, where sweet, candied, and Christmas-like flavors and fruits should dominate.

Edited by BourbonDude

I agree with the posts above that it doesn't taste like any other wheaters I have tried.  I couldn't figure it out either and kept coming back to it, but never really loved it.  It was drinkable, just not one of my favorites.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.