Rebel Yell 10 Year SB

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle during the Thanksgiving Holiday in Chattanooga. I haven't seen it at my local Memphis store, but with a giant selection I could have overlooked it? Anyway, I have "sampled" it now on three occasions. Any comparison to BT wheaters would be not be a fair comparison. This whiskey is heavier with more meat. I also find it drier than the BT brands. For my personal tastes it's very good, and since I'm a big fan/consumer of the BT brands it's a nice change. Unlike the BT I get some leather and more wood. If I were to make a comparison I'd probably put it up against light rye mash not other wheaters. Thank goodness it taste nothing like Larceny either which I really don't like at all.

I would buy another bottle hands down.

The only caveat for me is that I've been picking up a peanut note on the finish which I don't care for, but it does seem to be fading with oxidation.  I would agree that it's not much like BT's wheated line, and that it is drier and more leathery.  I certainly think it's worth the price - as to whether it's worth a 45 minute drive, well - that's up to personal preference I suppose.l

The only caveat for me is that I've been picking up a peanut note on the finish which I don't care for, but it does seem to be fading with oxidation.  I would agree that it's not much like BT's wheated line, and that it is drier and more leathery.  I certainly think it's worth the price - as to whether it's worth a 45 minute drive, well - that's up to personal preference I suppose.l

I took the drive, no choice of its the closest store that has it. Lately I've been on a rye kick, if this bottle treats me right, I'll be heading back for the other 3

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I passed on one last week, but it's just a matter of time before I cave in?  With all the good reviews, some noting drier, more oak, leather, etc...How does this compare to VSOF

I passed on one last week, but it's just a matter of time before I cave in?  With all the good reviews, some noting drier, more oak, leather, etc...How does this compare to VSOF

Excuse my ignorance, but what is VSOF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year old. 

Been a while since I had that but my memory is telling me they are different. VSOF had a cherry thing going on that is odd for a wheater. Don't get that in RY. I know where to get a pour of Fitz 12 so I'm going to revisit it because I'm intrigued.

I didn't think RY10 was like the Weller's either. It has an astringency like OWA but deviates from there.

I will say that it has some classic wheater qualities. There's a creamy toffee thing going on that I get in the Wellers and VW's. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got to try this for the first time yesterday, and came away not really impressed.  The nose is attractive, however, the rest of the experience over the palate and finish just falls apart.  There's just not anything that stands out other than a little butterscotch and a little odd spiciness on the finish.  Therein, lies the problem with this whiskey for me...I found myself qualifying every aspect of it with the adjective "little".   If those aspects lived up to the promise that the nose hinted at, I might have a different opinion.  But as it is, I was pretty much underwhelmed.  

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Got to try this for the first time yesterday, and came away not really impressed.  The nose is attractive, however, the rest of the experience over the palate and finish just falls apart.  There's just not anything that stands out other than a little butterscotch and a little odd spiciness on the finish.  Therein, lies the problem with this whiskey for me...I found myself qualifying every aspect of it with the adjective "little".   If those aspects lived up to the promise that the nose hinted at, I might have a different opinion.  But as it is, I was pretty much underwhelmed.  

Horses for courses, but I hope more people feel the way you do Joe. I  really loved it and grabbed two more when I could to hold me over until next year's release.  Of course there will be barrel variations to account for some of our difference of opinion. I'll bring a bottle to Sampler so you can try a different barrel. 

Edited by Old Dusty

I don't mean to hijack this thread.....But what the difference between the 10year and the Rebel Yell Limited Edition?  Are they the same?  IF not what is the Limited edition?

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

The 10yr is the LE.

Really?  As I was reading this post, I figured I try a bottle.  One local has Rebel Yell on sale for $18.  Then saw Rebel Yell Limited Edition on sale for $18.  I was thinking.."can be the same stuff."

This is an internet search.  I'll go down and check it out

26 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Really?  As I was reading this post, I figured I try a bottle.  One local has Rebel Yell on sale for $18.  Then saw Rebel Yell Limited Edition on sale for $18.  I was thinking.."can be the same stuff."

There's also a "limited edition" version of the standard RY with a different label, so it could be that. Definitely worth investigating though.

30 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Make sure it is 10 SB 100 proof in a round bottle that tapers som from top to bottom.  If that is $18 it's a value but there are other RY expressions that have a typical price of about $25/bottle.

I have seen the cheaper limited edition as well as a Rebel Yell Small Batch Reserve but both of those are different than the 10 YO Single Barrel. Unfortunately, the 10 YOSB hasn't shown up at any of the stores around me. 

40 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Got a bottle this morning for Christmas! The nose is awesome but still a little early for a tasting. 

It's never too early for a taste.  In fact you'll most likely find that bourbon tasted great before morning coffee.

35 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

It's never too early for a taste.  In fact you'll most likely find that bourbon tasted great before morning coffee.

:P

58 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

I'd already had my coffee..and I have to drive to a family party so thought I'd wait. But I like the way you think!

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'd already had my coffee..and I have to drive to a family party so thought I'd wait. But I like the way you think!

There's always tomorrow, but it's not a good idea when you have morning responsibilities such as work or family errands to perform.

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

Nobody would question you if it was a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa. It's past time for bourbon to join those drinks as acceptable for breakfast. 

51 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Nobody would question you if it was a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa. It's past time for bourbon to join those drinks as acceptable for breakfast. 

You have my vote.

I do find that this improves substantially with air, as others have noted.  There's a peanut note I dislike that's pretty much gone after a month open, and now what I'm getting is like a dryer, smoother version of OWA.

Finally got to try it a couple nights ago when a bud brought a bottle over. It was only 1/3 full & had a few weeks to open up. It definately is not like a Weller or like Larceny (not that it should be). It was dry, with some spice, pepper, and some HH peanut. It just wasn't to my taste. I found the flavors muddled, without alot of complexity. I'll pass on this one, as I can spend $50 on a bottle I like more. Just my two cents. I think Im in the minority on this one, tho my bud who brought the bottle agreed. However, as a single barrel, your mileage may differ.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.