The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Worst bourbon is hard to pinpoint, just like the worst car....I mean, a Pontiac Aztek is definitely in the conversation, but then again....the Yugo exists, so.....

That said, if I'm picking one, for me the answer is pretty easy - Stein Distillery, aka the horrible Oregon distillery that is responsible for the abomination that was the latest round of Black Maple Hill bottles. I'm from OR, so it super extra hurts my heart that the first thing most people are going to taste from OR in terms of whiskey is that horrible.

Tasting notes: Varnish, with a nice finish of nail polish remover and sadness.

I had a cork tainted bottle of HW MWND Act 3.2.  Tasted like stale, sweaty athletic socks.  It looks me weeks to get over it.   Kept hoping time would smooth it out.  Nope.  Hit the drain.  Haven't been able to make myself buy another one.

On 1/27/2016, 6:05:42, koRn said:

Booker's 2015-3 Center Cut. It's just undrinkable for me. Tastes like I'm chewing hay. 

I guess I like chewing hay because Center Cut is one of my favorites.  Now the worst bourbon I've ever tasted is WRDO.  To describe this as bad is not nearly accurate.  It is the worst tasting liquid I've ever had in my mouth. 

^well, it's all preference. I tend to love most Booker's.....I do find myself buying most of them. Just that center cut is not what I enjoy. Luckily my significant other enjoys it. If it wasn't for her, I would have poured that down the drain months ago. 

On 1/28/2016, 1:50:35, humchan2k said:

Worst bourbon is hard to pinpoint, just like the worst car....I mean, a Pontiac Aztek is definitely in the conversation, but then again....the Yugo exists, so.....

That said, if I'm picking one, for me the answer is pretty easy - Stein Distillery, aka the horrible Oregon distillery that is responsible for the abomination that was the latest round of Black Maple Hill bottles. I'm from OR, so it super extra hurts my heart that the first thing most people are going to taste from OR in terms of whiskey is that horrible.

Tasting notes: Varnish, with a nice finish of nail polish remover and sadness.

If you're considering the released-late-last-year 5yo version, don't bother. I bought some to include in a SbSbS with C.W. Irwin and Henry DuYore. The Stein came in last. It has a vaguely whiskey-like aroma and taste, but tasting it blind I would never identify it as bourbon. I give it a D (F goes for something I have to spit out - it wasn't quite that bad).

I give the C. W. Irwin a C and the Henry DuYore a B, which makes it the (subjectively) best actually-distilled-in-Oregon bourbon. Too bad it costs over $30.

A second vote for Old Bardstown Estate Bottled 101.  I was expecting it to be similar to Johnny Drum Private Stock, but alas I was wrong. Something was way off about that one.  Just terrible, nasty stuff. Though I did manage to get through it with LOTS of Vernor's ginger ale.  But then I'm a cheap SOB.  

Yahara Bay Small batch V bourbon.  Not a bourbon, but someone gave me Dead Guy Whiskey.  Awful.

Easy.. Hudson Baby Bourbon. It's some vile garbage for sure and got even worse with oxidation.

12 hours ago, taddraughn said:

Easy.. Hudson Baby Bourbon. It's some vile garbage for sure and got even worse with oxidation.

My daughter got me on of these when she moved to Williamsburg Brooklyn.  I was surprised that it actually had some "flavor" but when compared to bourbon that I was accustomed to drinking it was terrible.

Easily the most overpriced and overvalued "bourbon" on the market.

2 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Easily the most overpriced and overvalued "bourbon" on the market.

That is a bold statement! There is an awful lot of overpriced and overvalued "bourbon" on the market, especially from the burgeoning "craft" market! :D

Not to mention a limited desire to have to try each one to determine the worst... :(

That said the Hudson Baby Bourbon ranks right up there for me as one of the very worst. :blink:

Ezra Brooks black label left a scar in my bourbon memory as the first straight bourbon I had encountered that made me turn up my nose. Too bad; the Old Ezra 101 is a great value bourbon to me, but that standard black label was blech!

I have always been left wondering if the tasting panel that selects barrels for bottling of Bourbon Supreme aren't really a rogue band of disgruntled employees looking to bring down the company by approving a flavor profile of wet dog, musty crawl space, and grandpas coat closet...

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That is a bold statement! There is an awful lot of overpriced and overvalued "bourbon" on the market, especially from the burgeoning "craft" market! :D

Not to mention a limited desire to have to try each one to determine the worst... :(

That said the Hudson Baby Bourbon ranks right up there for me as one of the very worst. :blink:

I understand what you are saying.  In MI Hudson is about $40/375 mL.  

I'm not a craft bourbon fan.  I avoid them as they are also overpriced.

On 1/28/2016, 4:50:35, humchan2k said:

. . . I'm from OR, so it super extra hurts my heart that the first thing most people are going to taste from OR in terms of whiskey is that horrible . . .

I like Rogue Dead Guy Ale.  A few years ago, I saw their RDG Whiskey and bought a bottle.  While it was reallyreally young, I found it drinkable.  Just thought you'd like to know that there is at least one whiskey from OR that IMO is not horrible.  Besides, your beers (and the hops OR furnishes to the rest of the craft beer market) more than make up for any whiskey shortcomings. :D

Ten High Blend from a coke type hose dispenser at a hotel.  The bartender apologized as she was "dispensing" it.  I poured it into a planter in the lobby. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Ten High Blend from a coke type hose dispenser at a hotel.  The bartender apologized as she was "dispensing" it.  I poured it into a planter in the lobby. 

LMFAO! "I poured it into a planter in the lobby." Now that's a classic.

I have to agree with the guys who did not like Old Bardstown.  Several years ago, I bought both the 90 and 101 proof on a trip to KY.  I was excited since I had never seen it before, and KBD had some items getting good reviews.  Imagine my surprize when I got home and opened the 90. :wacko: It tasted like Evan Williams that had gone terribly wrong.  I saved the 101 for a long time.  I finally opened it, hoping it would be better.  No such luck, it was really hot and harsh.  They market this stuff like it's a mid shelf bourbon.  It's not. 

On 1/27/2016, 11:41:30, flahute said:

A bar near my office has this (Ancient Age Barrel 107) and I really like it. 

That bar either isn't selling much of it, or is selling it at Pappy prices. Barrel 107 hasn't been on the market for some 15 years at least! :) 

59 minutes ago, shoshani said:

That bar either isn't selling much of it, or is selling it at Pappy prices. Barrel 107 hasn't been on the market for some 15 years at least! :) 

They are not selling much of it because most people that go there don't know what it is. It's being sold at a very wallet friendly price and is one of the sleeper pours on their menu.

I've tried a decent number of bourbons, and the one I did not care for the most was Prichards (Double Barrel I think).   I've often read about the leather taste in some boubons, but never got it myself until I had the Prichards.  As a matter of fact it tasted like what I imagine licking a saddle that has been heavily used might taste like if sampled right in the seat area...leather and sweat and arse...we'll you get the picture...yuck.  So yeah, that was a bit much for me to handle.  Thankfully a buddy of mine had purchased it so I wasn't stuck with bottle.

Early Times back in college long long ago when I think it was considered bourbon. At least I think it was. The whole experience is still kinda hazy. 

More recently I had a bottle of Old Whiskey River. Reminded me of wet musty cardboard. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎10‎:‎26‎, heydobro said:

Red Eagle bourbon from a micro in NE Ohio.  An SB friend received it as a gift from a friend who knew he liked bourbon.  He shared some at a tasting and it was everybody's least favorite pour by far.

That SB friend was me.  Red Eagle is by far the worst whiskey I've ever had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.