The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Currently the "worst" bourbon I have in my cabinet is the new Willett-distilled Old Bardstown. I really wanted to like this as I appreciate the effort that Willett seems to be putting in. I tried revisiting it. I even tried to view it as just a bit young and rough around the edges. I can't. To my palate the stuff is just not up to par with even most other bottom shelfers. I've seen some mixed reviews on the BIB version as well. I'm hoping the forthcoming wheater from Willett will make up for it.

good to know clueby.  picked on up last week, yet open.  sounds like it will be a mixer for guests that dont care! 

I'm one of those rare birds that doesn't like the old gold label Old Heaven Hill that has now been discontinued.  I thought it was ghastly.  

The current version of Old Crow is probably the worst bourbon I've ever tasted. It's a shame what Beam did to this once great brand.

• 2 weeks later...

It only took a second to come up with my answer:   Kentucky Gentleman !!  Years ago, on a fishing trip, a friend produced a bottle of this stuff and in good faith, offered me a neat sip in a plastic cup.  After rolling it around in my mouth and forcing myself to swallow it, I swear that if I had held a lit match under my chin and breathed out forcefully, I could have ignited the campfire with ease-----nasty stuff!

HEY!     My Grand Daddy was a Kentucky Gentleman.... or at least he was born and raised into manhood in the State of Kentucky.

I'm not sure everybody that ever knew him would consider him a gentleman; but I always have.   My evidence is that he ended waaay more fights than he started.   HA!

• 4 weeks later...

Easy one for me.  Another vote for Hudson Bay Baby Bourbon.  Bought a bottler, tried 1 pour, all corn, disgusting !  Bad thing is, I don't drink soda so I have no clue why I should keep it.  Would have to mix it with something to ever take another sip.  Not good at all, 55$ lesson !! 

I've trolled the bottom shelf selectively, cleared the middle shelf, and hit 80% of the top shelf not counting the recent new-comers.  I'd say the most disappointing was JDBL.  But then, its not bourbon ;)

On 11/24/2016 at 7:43 PM, flintlock said:

I'm one of those rare birds that doesn't like the old gold label Old Heaven Hill that has now been discontinued.  I thought it was ghastly.  

at $20-ish for a 1.75, I thought it a good starter bourbon.

On topic, I thought Old Overholt was the worst whiskey I've tried to date.

8 hours ago, t-ball said:

Easy one for me.  Another vote for Hudson Bay Baby Bourbon.  Bought a bottler, tried 1 pour, all corn, disgusting !  Bad thing is, I don't drink soda so I have no clue why I should keep it.  Would have to mix it with something to ever take another sip.  Not good at all, 55$ lesson !! 

The first year my daughter moved to Williamsburg Brooklyn she got me a bottle of this as a Christmas present. While a wonderful thought the "bourbon" was bad.  Fortunately I found creative ways to use it.

The old Rebel Yell 80 proof tall (wine) bottle.

One pour and dumped the rest down the sink.  It was just awful.

A western slope small batch from Fishers Liquor Barn. Their first batch was fantastic from what I was told was from Peach Street Distillery. By the 3rd go around, my friend bought a case based off the first pick and it was undrinkable where ever they sourced it from. The only bourbon I couldn't even mix into cocktails.  

On 12/31/2016 at 11:50 PM, t-ball said:

I'm sure I've already posted in this thread but this reminded me that I was wrong with whatever I posted the first time - I was gifted a bottle of the Hudson Bay and had the same reaction as you - luckily I had a visit from my BIL soon after and he took it off my hands for me as he really enjoyed it...

Got a bottle of James E. Pepper 1776. Tried it a couple different times but couldn't get past the overwhelming taste of melted plastic. It did, however, make a fantastic Old Fashioned. Go figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

A.D. Laws Four Grain. First bourbon ever that was so bad I couldn't finish it. It was discouraging after paying $70 for the bottle.

Only thing I haven't been able to drink is not a bourbon, but Cody Road Rye.  Unfortunately my local recommended it as not just another crappy "craft" distiller.  I poured one glass and couldn't finish it.  I've never ever had another spirit where I couldn't at least get through a glass.

I don't make mixed drinks so I gave it to a kid fresh out of college at work.  He thought it was terrible as well but thanks to his crippling student debt, happily drank it all and was glad to have it over mccormicks vodka.

This was when I finally gave up on buying bottles of from "craft" distilleries. 99% have been awful and charge a premium...

I haven't had that many different bourbons yet and haven't found one that I consider undrinkable, but I have had a few that I didn't really like.  Odd that all 3 are well recommended brands. One was so universally liked that I bought a handle for my first bottle (big mistake) and when I realized it was not something I'd finish for a long time, I decided to blend it.  I have a few infusion kits I received as gifts and a bottle of honey bourbon.  I find that the sugar in these makes the bourbon I don't like, taste okay if I blend in 1/3 honey bourbon or infusion. The lesson in this was to try new bourbons in small airline bottles or in bars.  In the future, if I buy a handle, I'm going to make sure it's something I like. 

27 minutes ago, mcspin said:

I haven't had that many different bourbons yet and haven't found one that I consider undrinkable, but I have had a few that I didn't really like.  Odd that all 3 are well recommended brands. One was so universally liked that I bought a handle for my first bottle (big mistake) and when I realized it was not something I'd finish for a long time, I decided to blend it.  I have a few infusion kits I received as gifts and a bottle of honey bourbon.  I find that the sugar in these makes the bourbon I don't like, taste okay if I blend in 1/3 honey bourbon or infusion. The lesson in this was to try new bourbons in small airline bottles or in bars.  In the future, if I buy a handle, I'm going to make sure it's something I like. 

Ummmm......you need to tell us which ones they are. Don't worry if it's a well liked brand that didn't work for you. Your palate is your palate.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Ummmm......you need to tell us which ones they are. Don't worry if it's a well liked brand that didn't work for you. Your palate is your palate.

Okay, they were EW Black Label, WT101 and BT.  It's the Buffalo Trace that I got a handle of.  It's not terrible, but certainly nothing I would ever buy again. 

26 minutes ago, mcspin said:

Okay, they were EW Black Label, WT101 and BT.  It's the Buffalo Trace that I got a handle of.  It's not terrible, but certainly nothing I would ever buy again. 

Don't feel bad.  I don't like Buffalo Trace much these days either, though I do enjoy EW Black and WT101.

On 1/4/2017 at 2:55 PM, M1marksman said:

Got a bottle of James E. Pepper 1776. Tried it a couple different times but couldn't get past the overwhelming taste of melted plastic. It did, however, make a fantastic Old Fashioned. Go figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I was gifted one of these several years ago.

Took almost 2 years of being open and airing out to get better.

Really dry and hot, but in the end I started to enjoy it.... and you're right.  It makes a great cocktail.

On 1/6/2017 at 1:13 PM, BeardedProf said:

HW Campfire. I know I am a noob, but I could not even finish the 1oz I poured.

It's the scotch mixed in.......I agree......gross.

Don't let it ruin their other products for you.

11 hours ago, mcspin said:

Same here on the BT.  Its not bad, but like some others, a little disappointed for the price.  And these days, if it doesn't live up after the 3rd or 4th pour, I  finish the bottle, but generally decide not to re-purchase.  There are too many delicious bourbon's available to be less than delighted. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.