EC12 vs NAS compared

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, OldDrinker1978 said:

Sometimes it's to easy...thanks! I still wonder why not more people did a SBS since there's so much talk in this and another thread about EC loosing its AS. I haven't seen the NAS Version anywhere here in Germany yet.

I suspect the difference, if any, in the first of the NAS bottles will be minimal. I would prefer to wait about a year and then try the NAS in a SBS. Of course by then the EC12 will probably be back at it's new higher price point!

I wonder if they will then keep both the NAS and EC12? Probably so.

Reminds me a bit of the "shortage" Makers had such that they the needed to reduce the proof. That was right before cask strength bottles started appearing as I recollect.

4 hours ago, OldDrinker1978 said:

Sometimes it's to easy...thanks! I still wonder why not more people did a SBS since there's so much talk in this and another thread about EC loosing its AS. I haven't seen the NAS Version anywhere here in Germany yet.

I don't think much of the NAS is out there yet outside of all the stores near Paddy. A lot of stores/distributors still have stock of the age stated they are trying to work through.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I don't think much of the NAS is out there yet outside of all the stores near Paddy. A lot of stores/distributors still have stock of the age stated they are trying to work through.

I've seen the NAS at a couple stores here, but most still have the 12. I'm going to wait a bit before picking up the NAS. I'm curious about how it will change, but like others I suspect the first batches won't be much different.

On 2/26/2016, 10:04:56, Thig said:

If it still has 12 year on the back it is not the new NAS.  They took the 12 off the front and put it on the back for a while.

Alas, new NAS has NO 12 anywhere on the back label - and is still the same prices as the EC12 w/o the big red "12" !  Sorry, English is not my native language.   :(

58 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Alas, new NAS has NO 12 anywhere on the back label - and is still the same prices as the EC12 w/o the big red "12" !  Sorry, English is not my native language.   :(

It's not your fault.  I just misread it.  Your English is probably better than most of ours.

My unopened bottle of EC has mention of 12 years on the back label.  If the NAS truly has the same price point, then I'll pass until supply/demand dictates a proper lower price, if it does.  

7 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

My unopened bottle of EC has mention of 12 years on the back label.  If the NAS truly has the same price point, then I'll pass until supply/demand dictates a proper lower price, if it does.  

It won't.

37 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

Proper?  HH would argue, and I can't disagree, that EC12 had been improperly priced for many, many, years.  Significantly underpriced

On 2/27/2016, 12:10:51, smokinjoe said:

Proper?  HH would argue, and I can't disagree, that EC12 had been improperly priced for many, many, years.  Significantly underpriced

I'm with Joe on this.    EC12 was probably THE BEST bargain in available Bourbon for a very long time (particularly if you base your price/value decisions mainly on age; I don't necessarily do that; but EC12 has always hit all the right notes for me, personally).     Even after the recent price rises it's a good one for the required cheddar.    ...Even after the loss of an age statement, if the profile remains in the locality, which I'm betting it will. 

Does that mean I didn't scoop a few 'Family Sized' bottles in the last few weex?    Hell, I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't.

we just got another delivery EC12, still has age statement on back label.  Not sure how much age stated EC12 is left in the distributor's warehouse.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm with Joe on this.    EC12 was probably THE BEST bargain in available Bourbon for a very long time (particularly if you base your price/value decisions mainly on age; I don't necessarily do that; but EC12 has always hit all the right notes for me, personally).     Even after the recent price rises it's a good one for the required cheddar.    ...Even after the loss of an age statement, if the profile remains in the locality, which I'm betting it will. 

Does that mean I didn't scoop a few 'Family Sized' bottles in the last few weex?    Hell, I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't.

Totally agree with this and Joe's comment. Many of HH's offerings —  and especially EC12 — have long been great deals. I think what we're seeing is their pricing becoming more consistent with the rest of the industry. I of course would prefer EC to keep its age statement (and Fighting Cock for that matter!), but in the grand scheme of things, HH still has some of the best prices in the industry.

There will be "dusties" of these out there for years. Probably until the age statement comes back :)

I spoke with the HH persons at the EC table last night at WhiskFest Washington DC (and am pretty sure it was Denny Potter doing the pouring) about the NAS move.  I was told that it was necessary in order to keep the distribution of (circa 12YO) as broad as it is now without running into rolling shortages AND without markedly changing the profile.  I was assured they have plenty of product on hand to keep its age around 11 or so while continuing to sell (and maybe expand) their BP, 18yr SB, and 23yr SB lines.

FWIW, the EC23 I tried had nowhere near the wood I was expecting.  It was one of three pours I had all night that I just had to finish - the other two were a 4R LE 125th anniversary and a WT Masters Keep.  The 4R 125 was a cult thing (sacrilege to dump it), but the WTMK was memorable - Jimmy Russell did the pouring. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC

^^^The cult wishes to acknowledge the proper and appropriate level of respect paid, herein.^^^

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^The cult wishes to acknowledge the proper and appropriate level of respect paid, herein.^^^

Genuflects and nods with agreement. 

Was visiting some family a couple of weeks ago and saw a whole shelf full of 1.75L  "old" label EC12 with a big red 12 on the front

2 hours ago, Radsman13 said:

Was visiting some family a couple of weeks ago and saw a whole shelf full of 1.75L  "old" label EC12 with a big red 12 on the front

The family size EC12 has been more available locally that I have seen as well. It transitioned to "EC12 on the back" for 750's a while ago but I don't think I have seen a 1.75 "EC12 on the back" bottle. Not sure I have seen a 1.75 ECNAS either so far. They all have still had the red 12. Then again I haven't been looking that hard!

On 2/27/2016, 11:10:51, smokinjoe said:

True, and something I had begun to shy away from saying out too loudly.

I read this & ran out to the smaller of 2 grocery chain stores.  They had a mix of bottles, some EC12, some ECNAS.  I'm glad I snagged one of the last EC12 for the bunker. 

I bought an poured through close to half a bottle off the NAS last week and enjoyed it.  I expected to upfront but liked it just the same, more sweetness on the front and less bitterness on the back but it didn't have the finish of the 12 year.

2 hours ago, Hop said:

I bought an poured through close to half a bottle off the NAS last week and enjoyed it.  I expected to upfront but liked it just the same, more sweetness on the front and less bitterness on the back but it didn't have the finish of the 12 year.

I'm not a big fan of the 12yr, the NAS sounds like it might be in my sweet spot.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎44‎:‎32‎, smokinjoe said:

Realistically speaking, a significant amount of the love over the years for EC12 has not come from a "no faults" flavor profile, but rather more for its great bang-for-the-buck status, for which it may have had no equal in Bourbonia.  

I have about 1/2 bottle left of the 12YO. It was a fairly regular high value pour in our house. Even got the custom labels for both Mrs. F and me. But the price has been creeping up (like many bourbons) and now with the NAS, EC is not likely to be in the regular rotation.

• 4 weeks later...

The NAS is hitting the stores in PA. Just got my first bottle. Initial impressions say I like it more than the 12. Slightly bolder, sweeter, and a touch more like McKenna in profile- and with McKenna being my runaway favorite in the HH line, that's all good news for me. I'll have to do more side-by-side testing to render a proper opinion. But in the meanwhile, I'm certainly not disappointed.

Whiskeyrexia nervosa kicked in big time on me yesterday.  I hit four stores after work, frantically trying to find one that still had the 12YO age statement on the back.  I got to the fourth one, which was a Quickie Mart type place, and I found it!  The problem was, all the bottles I looked at probably had the age statement - I forgot it's hidden in the little informational story on the back :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.