EC12 vs NAS compared

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, TheNovaMan said:

Whiskeyrexia nervosa kicked in big time on me yesterday.  I hit four stores after work, frantically trying to find one that still had the 12YO age statement on the back.  I got to the fourth one, which was a Quickie Mart type place, and I found it!  The problem was, all the bottles I looked at probably had the age statement - I forgot it's hidden in the little informational story on the back :P

Not necessarily.  I've seen the NAS popping up in recent weeks.  Still see a good amount of the hidden age-stated, but the new NAS are definitely infiltrating.  You had probably come across a mix, but as long as you ended up with some EC12, it was a good day.

Jeff, you were right!  The first store, which is my favorite store, had all NAS today.  Meijer had one age-stated 750, so I bought it.  There are a couple other stores in town I'll have to check yet... maybe Monday after work.

On March 10, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Hop said:

I bought an poured through close to half a bottle off the NAS last week and enjoyed it.  I expected to upfront but liked it just the same, more sweetness on the front and less bitterness on the back but it didn't have the finish of the 12 year.

Agreed, I found the first sip to be very sweet on the palate followed by some mild spice on the mid palate (most likely the proof talking) followed by a very weak finish compared to the 12.

I'm glad I bought some of the EC12 before I left UT last year. I believe I also got some here in CO. Still, I've seen the new stuff for a few months now, have not bought any, so really cannot comment on the differences. I still would at this time buy the EC12 stuff first, if given the choice.

The NAS EC is just starting to show up on liquor store shelves here in Mid MO. Most grocery stores and convenience stores that carry EC still have the 12 year old on the shelves though from what I've seen.

With my preference for well aged bourbons and the soft spot I have for Elijah Craig, I've stocked up on the age stated version and have around 10 bottles in the bunker. It's an easy purchase when my WalMart still has EC12 on the shelf for $25 and I can just grab another bottle as I do the weekly shopping trip!

I opened a bottle of EC12 last night and, after sipping neat a shot, I realized I have come to prefer slightly younger bourbons with less oak bite, like ER or FR Small Batch or Knob Creek.  Don't get me wrong, I like the EC12.  But, I look forward to trying some of the NAS later this year.  

This may be a bit of a noob question, but I see some 1.75L bottles of EC12 (with the front label 12 statement).  Do I need to worry a lot about oxidation with the 1.75L?  Should I stick with finding the 750mL bottles?  I don't drink at a fast rate.

1 hour ago, fenderbender4 said:

This may be a bit of a noob question, but I see some 1.75L bottles of EC12 (with the front label 12 statement).  Do I need to worry a lot about oxidation with the 1.75L?  Should I stick with finding the 750mL bottles?  I don't drink at a fast rate.

As long as you don't break the seal and the cork is secure, it can last for years.  Once opened, it is my general understanding that oxidation doesn't really affect the juice until the bottle gets about 2/3 empty.  But, for a VERY comprehensive study of Bourbon Storage, check this out....

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-storage-experiment.html

Edited by starhopper

One is always allowed to decant into ever-smaller bottles.    One can even pour a 'Family Sized' bottle into two 750's after only a few pours and use even smaller bottles as the 750's are drained down.

Personally I rarely bother, unless I expect to keep a low-filled bottle more than six months.    ...But, that's just me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.