Removing TCA ("cork taint") from my Elmer T Lee

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, if I had known you rubes were so easily entertained I'd have used stank... :D

Trust me, we all read it that way anyway :)

I have two B15261 bottles.  I opened one about 3 months ago and thought  that was cork taint I tasted, which explains why I've still got over half that bottle left.  Every few weeks I pour another ounce or so and see if it's really as bad as I thought, and it is.  I'll have to give the saran wrap a try this weekend.  I wonder what my odds are of the 2nd bottle being OK? 

Undergrad was a BachSci.  "Miscible" brought back really bad memories of organic chem class.

I skipped organic chemistry since I  was CS, but I followed enough of the explanation to get the point. Interesting mix of science, and "eh, it should about balance out". Sounds like an engineer to me! 

Bad news - the cork taint (TCA) that I had successfully removed a few days ago seems to be back - not as strong as before though.  After more research on the web, I found an article about TCA removal in wine, and the writer stated that contact with the cork was not necessary for the cork to taint the wine (in my case, bourbon). So, my guess is that even though I removed the TCA from the liquid, the cork remained tainted and "reinfected" the bourbon.

So, I guess I'm going to have to do the TCA removal all over again, and then put the remaining ETL in a different bottle with a good cork.:wacko:

(or maybe I'll just say the hell with it and pour the rest of the bottle down the drain)

Edited by starhopper

6 hours ago, starhopper said:

Bad news - the cork taint (TCA) that I had successfully removed a few days ago seems to be back - not as strong as before though.  After more research on the web, I found an article about TCA removal in wine, and the writer stated that contact with the cork was not necessary for the cork to taint the wine (in my case, bourbon). So, my guess is that even though I removed the TCA from the liquid, the cork remained tainted and "reinfected" the bourbon.

So, I guess I'm going to have to do the TCA removal all over again, and then put the remaining ETL in a different bottle with a good cork.:wacko:

(or maybe I'll just say the hell with it and pour the rest of the bottle down the drain)

No, don't pour it down the drain!  Do it again.  This time let the Saran wrap dry out and tell us if it "stank".

WE NEED TO KNOW!

20 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

No, don't pour it down the drain!  Do it again.  This time let the Saran wrap dry out and tell us if it "stank".

WE NEED TO KNOW!

Too late - I had about 1/2 bottle left - down the drain it went!

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

What a sad ending to this story!  Can we get a second volume?

Well, the second bottle of ETL I have (bottled 34 minutes after the one that was tainted) seems to be free of the musty/top soil aftertaste that was in the other bottle. So, there's no need to do any treatment!  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.