Knob Creek 2001

Golzee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this label today while surfing the web.  Anybody interested in a 15 year old Knob Creek (it is NAS, so older than 9 at leastbased on standard KC)?  I am on the fence if I will chase this one as dominant oak is not my favorite flavor.  But, I would probably give it a chance if it is priced reasonably like the other Knob Creek expressions.  Seems that Beam is getting in on the limited edition train and they are not holding back.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16029001000425

Edited by Golzee

Beam has been hearing from us enthusiasts for a while now that they should be releasing some of their special stock as limiteds and it seems they are finally going for it. I've known for a while now that they have these older barrels of Knob Creek (and they do have them at least 15 years old) and have been trying to get one as a single barrel pick but they've resisted. Now I know why. Even though this is NAS, I will assume that they will provide information as this is released. (If they don't, that's a bit of a problem if it's priced as a limited).

I love Knob Creek, so I'm all in on this one. I start to get sensitive to oak beyond the 12yr age range so this will be an interesting one for me. There are exceptions and barrel management is always important so I'm officially optimistic that this one won't be over-oaked.

I'll be very interested to see what, if any, age they give it.

If Beam won't commit to an age 'in the barrel'; but rather only the implication that it MAY be 15-years old based upon the 'shadow copy' on the label calling it "2001"; I'll be concerned it isn't much older than regular knob, and may have been 'tanked' for the last 4 or 5 years.      It's also important to find out how proud of the product they appear (by the suggested retail price!).

30 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I'll be very interested to see what, if any, age they give it.

If Beam won't commit to an age 'in the barrel'; but rather only the implication that it MAY be 15-years old based upon the 'shadow copy' on the label calling it "2001"; I'll be concerned it isn't much older than regular knob, and may have been 'tanked' for the last 4 or 5 years.      It's also important to find out how proud of the product they appear (by the suggested retail price!).

I know they have the barrels that old. I also know they've been hearing from us that they need to be released. I'd be surprised if they don't give some indication of the age and I'd surprised if any of this was tanked.

Well, the label says, "Distilled in 2001, Bottled in 2016," so unless they tanked it at some point for some inexplicable reason we should be safe in assuming it's 15 years old. I'm definitely down for giving this one a try IF I can find it.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I know they have the barrels that old. I also know they've been hearing from us that they need to be released. I'd be surprised if they don't give some indication of the age and I'd surprised if any of this was tanked.

I hope you're right.   If it's been in the barrel all this time (or at least to include the end of '15) it should be unique, and maybe exceptional.    Again, I wonder how much coin will be required to own a bottle......

2 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Well, the label says, "Distilled in 2001, Bottled in 2016," so unless they tanked it at some point for some inexplicable reason we should be safe in assuming it's 15 years old. I'm definitely down for giving this one a try IF I can find it.

WIld Turkey did this with the RR 1998.  It was tanked for 2 years so in reality was 15 years old (at least they let everyone know).  I'm assuming JB will tell everyone but until they do and with no age statement nothing is certain.

Sign me up for this one, KC is one of my top favs, I bet it's quite tasty. Not sure why they wouldn't put an age statement on it. I guess in a way - saying it was distilled in 2001 and bottled in 2016 could be an age statement in itself. Now where do I get one and for how much? 

Oh my goodness yes.  15 year old KC?  This is just further proof how good a thing it was for bourbon enthusiasts that Suntory bought Beam.  They took a look at the inventory and realized what a bargain they had acquired.

4 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Oh my goodness yes.  15 year old KC?  This is just further proof how good a thing it was for bourbon enthusiasts that Suntory bought Beam.  They took a look at the inventory and realized what a bargain they had acquired.

Or Beam had this planned all along, when was that shortage of Knob Creek again?  About 6yrs ago when stocks could be diverted for further aging?  Coincidence? Or maybe Beam just has so many barrels they found a way to sell the older ones at a premium and do a line extension at the same time.

Regardless, I'm interested since I'm a sucker for all things Beam.  (but the voice in the back of my head telling me Beam white label has gotten worse as a result of all these new labels continues to get louder)

Edited by miller542

34 minutes ago, miller542 said:

Or Beam had this planned all along, when was that shortage of Knob Creek again?  About 6yrs ago when stocks could be diverted for further aging?  Coincidence? Or maybe Beam just has so many barrels they found a way to sell the older ones at a premium and do a line extension at the same time.

Regardless, I'm interested since I'm a sucker for all things Beam.  (but the voice in the back of my head telling me Beam white label has gotten worse as a result of all these new labels continues to get louder)

My contact at Beam was telling me about these older barrels of KC more than two years ago and that he was telling them they needed to do something with them via limited editions or line extensions because enthusiasts would love them. At that time, they had no plan for them. He tried to get them to release some as single barrels, but they wouldn't do it, at least not on purpose. Some got released via being mixed in with standard sample barrels for barrel picks, but they wouldn't purposely provide one for you. It seems they finally got the message about what enthusiasts want.

...well, they finally got the message of what enthusiasts will pay. These won't cost what barrel picks cost.

I say bring 'em on.  Most of us want to see what it tastes like.  As long as they don't go overboard with the price I'm all in.  

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

...well, they finally got the message of what enthusiasts will pay. These won't cost what barrel picks cost.

Right....on nothing but speculation and assumption, I expect for some, enthusiasm will be dampened by pricing. 

• 1 month later...

This has showed up on the VA ABC website for $126.29.  I think Virginia is usually at or around MSRP.

Reckless Speculation Alert --- I don't know when the product will actually be released but given that it's popped up on the website, this could be an April release.

15 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

This has showed up on the VA ABC website for $126.29.  I think Virginia is usually at or around MSRP.

Reckless Speculation Alert --- I don't know when the product will actually be released but given that it's popped up on the website, this could be an April release.

This has showed up on the UDABC website for $149.99 + tax.  No telling when it will actually get to the state and make it into stores.

I previously said "I'm interested since I'm a sucker for all things Beam." but that price is just too much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 0:52 AM, The Black Tot said:

Correct you are. Seeing recent reports that support the two posts above: pricing between $130 to $150. I'm in for 1 bottle if and only if they provide an accurate age in the 14-15 yr range. Absent that, I'm out. Not sure if that info is out there as I haven't checked.

Aside: would also love this more at a higher proof such as 107 or 110. 

On 4/21/2016 at 0:04 AM, miller542 said:

This has showed up on the UDABC website for $149.99 + tax.  No telling when it will actually get to the state and make it into stores.

I previously said "I'm interested since I'm a sucker for all things Beam." but that price is just too much.

I always suspected Suntory would begin a 'premiumisation program' with Beam ...

On 4/21/2016 at 8:12 PM, JoeTerp said:

Well, it's now 5 May.  Two weeks ago, I asked the store I usually go to (which also has done special ordering for me before) to order two bottles if possible, one if two are not possible, using the Virginia ABC item number on the "Product" page of their website (which, incidentally, did NOT have a green "online only" tag next to it).  Last week I was told it is on the Product list but has not yet reached the distribution process although the KC 2001 was still listed on the website.  This week, I was told it is NOT a special order item and is ONLY available by using the online order process.  BUT, it is not listed on the website as available via online order.  It is, however, still listed under "Products" that should be available at a store or through a special order.

Patience is a virtue; I broke out a Bookers.  I hope it lasts . . .

40 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, it's now 5 May.  Two weeks ago, I asked the store I usually go to (which also has done special ordering for me before) to order two bottles if possible, one if two are not possible, using the Virginia ABC item number on the "Product" page of their website (which, incidentally, did NOT have a green "online only" tag next to it).  Last week I was told it is on the Product list but has not yet reached the distribution process although the KC 2001 was still listed on the website.  This week, I was told it is NOT a special order item and is ONLY available by using the online order process.  BUT, it is not listed on the website as available via online order.  It is, however, still listed under "Products" that should be available at a store or through a special order.

Patience is a virtue; I broke out a Bookers.  I hope it lasts . . .

It seems that VA is looking to do most everything through an online form (first x orders at 9 am on some future date) similar to how they handled the Seasoned Wood release.  The April Spirited Virginia newsletter mentioned Stagg Jr (I would assume this is Batch 6) and two of the Orphan Barrels (Barterhouse and Forged Oak) as being available soon via the online distribution, but that was April 7th and none of those products have become available yet.  Given that I imagine the above are sitting in a Richmond warehouse and they will likely be released before KC 2001 I think the Knob Creek release could go into June at this point.

150. Big belly laugh here.

At that point, even if it's great, it's bad value.

Oh well, maybe they'll do this again when we're not in a whiskey bubble.

This whiskey stuff is easy - if it feels wrong, don't buy it. This one and its Booker's Rye big brother feel all kinds of wrong, by price alone.

There comes a point where it doesn't even matter how good the whiskey is. It's still just whiskey.

Now, where's that bottle of the $21 whisky of the year 2015... I've got drinking to do.

If Eric can get me one, I'm buying, even at $150.  Love it that Suntory is getting Beam to let go of some of those old barrels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.