Knob Creek 2001

Golzee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It's been sitting at a local store I frequent for two weeks.

A few people have bought it, but they didn't come back and clear the shelf. Hmmm...

Virginia ABC put it up for sale online 3 weeks ago.  They still haven't sold out (I heard 300 bottles for the state).

I am not the biggest fan of KC or KCSB.  Would it be foolish to go after a 2001?  I will say that KC and its iterations are generally high quality, but just not my "thing".

8 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

I am not the biggest fan of KC or KCSB.  Would it be foolish to go after a 2001?  I will say that KC and its iterations are generally high quality, but just not my "thing".

I suppose it depends upon the weight by which you're willing to lighten your wallet for a bottle that has a pretty good chance of being way outside your sweet-zone, or 'may be' some distance away from that zone.   It's always a bit of a gamble, especially when pulling out a good amount of cheddar, for a bottle you've yet to taste.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:59 PM, fenderbender4 said:

What Rich said.  FWIW, I AM a fan of KC and KCSB, and as I posted early on, I like the 2001 but do not think I'll buy any more.  Maybe I'm too old so my taste buds are jaded, but it is not $95 better than KC for me. EDIT - but then, I tend not to like bourbons over ten yrs old or so usually.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Had a chance to buy one this week in Kentucky but passed. I have some store selects at 12-13 years of age that suit me just fine. 

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What Rich said.  FWIW, I AM a fan of KC and KCSB, and as I posted early on, I like the 2001 but do not think I'll buy any more.  Maybe I'm too old so my taste buds are jaded, but it is not $95 better than KC for me. EDIT - but then, I tend not to like bourbons over ten yrs old or so usually.

Cool, yeah I think I'll pass.  Hopefully a true KC fan will find it and walk out happy.

I'm seeing it sitting on shelves in NC ABC stores and was told by one store manager that she had more in the back room that wasn't out so it's not moving great here...

I'll say again, I bought it and don't see where it's better than the basic KC and definitely not $95 better

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2016 at 5:33 PM, LCWoody said:

I got one, I hope it gets better. Very hot, not too impressed 

Halfway through my bottle of Batch 1 and I'm not getting hotness at all.  It's actually one of the nicer pours I've had recently and compare favorably to good FR OESV store selections.  I'm on board with the KC2001, even at an inflated price, although my local has it for $117 which is a bit less than most places.

EDIT: I'm not a regular KC drinker, so I don't know how it compares to the store selections, but standing on its own, it's good stuff

Edited by jvd99
Just thought of something

I had a small pour last night and it didn't have the heat as when I first poured it. I'm going to have some later. 

Just finished a glass. The heat is gone, much better. It's better than the standard KC with lots of good wood flavor. But, it have to say that I've had SBKC's that were much better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up one bottle of Batch 2 in NH for $130. I'll just bunker it until I get to open up my home whisky bar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've seen it locally for as low as $115.  Doesn't appear to be moving well.  I seem them most places these days.  Other than the one I saw at $115 they are priced between $125 and $150.

Spent an hour with a pour of Batch 2 on Friday.  It opened up nicely over the course of the hour.  It had less bite than a 9yr store pick I tasted alongside.  Don't think it's worth the upgrade especially as some store picks aren't that far off.

I have Batch 1 and it is really good, great flavor and no heat, I don't normally drink KC so not sure how it compares, but here in CO it moved off the shelf pretty quickly and I have not seen any around for a while.

Never will understand distribution of product, here in CO we have bottles that are hid out the back of the store, KC2001 was one of them, and not that many of them, then I read a post that elsewhere its at Costco.

they are sitting on shelves here in Chicago... I'm actually kinda surprised by that one

• 2 weeks later...

$124.99 OTD here - at that price, an easy pass, IMHO.   :unsure:   

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2016 at 5:31 AM, GeeTen said:

That's about $10 LESS than I paid for it when it came out.  As I THINK I posted about page 1 or 2 of this thread (I didn't check - too lazy), it is just fine, but I didn't think it was 5 to 6 times pricewise better than KC 9yr 100 proof, and I like basic KC enough to bunker lots of it (@ $22-25 anyway which is common here).  I set the bottle aside back then.  A couple of days ago (coincidence? fate? Certainly not due this thread which I'd forgotten about), I pulled it out to revisit.  It is STILL very good, but I STILL don't think it is $100 better than basic KC.  Maybe $15-25 better but just for the novelty. YMMV.

EDIT - Just checked: I posted at page 3, June 10th, and the cost was under $140 including tax.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
more info

On 11/5/2016 at 5:31 AM, GeeTen said:

A local store here has one for $150, I don't think so.

A local LS here in East Texas has had 3 bottles for the last 6 months. Same thing when I travel through Louisiana--several LS have them stacked on teh shelves, gathering dust. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking around I found a site that had the "Cream of the crop" whiskeys of 2016.  Knob Creek 2001 made the list (#7) scoring a 95 out of 100.  I did find it in a local for $140 and the single barrel was $43.29.  So then, I came here to see if you guys thought it was worth almost $100 more.   Right now, I think I'll pass. 

3 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Just looking around I found a site that had the "Cream of the crop" whiskeys of 2016.  Knob Creek 2001 made the list (#7) scoring a 95 out of 100.  I did find it in a local for $140 and the single barrel was $43.29.  So then, I came here to see if you guys thought it was worth almost $100 more.   Right now, I think I'll pass. 

Get single barrel store picks all day over the 2001. Especially from sources that you trust. You get 120 proof(vs 100), single barrel(v batched). The only thing you give up is some age- usually 10-12 yr (v ~15). But for 1/3 of the price. 

4 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Get single barrel store picks all day over the 2001. Especially from sources that you trust. You get 120 proof(vs 100), single barrel(v batched). The only thing you give up is some age- usually 10-12 yr (v ~15). But for 1/3 of the price. 

That would be my default assumption, but something tells me they have some reason for pricing it way up there, besides the age?  What if they saved the best barrels for the 2001, and used the culls along with some 9 year for the single barrel?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.