High West Rendezvous or Double

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Double Rye at $30 and Rendezvous at $47. Is Rendezvous worth the extra cash?

14 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Double Rye at $30 and Rendezvous at $47. Is Rendezvous worth the extra cash?

IMHO, yes!   :)

Liked them both but prefer the Rendezvous.  When it wasn't available, the DR is a nice placeholder.  Now that I can find RR again . . .

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Liked them both but prefer the Rendezvous.  When it wasn't available, the DR is a nice placeholder.  Now that I can find RR again . . .

Hey Harry,

That's Russell's Reserve (not RR Canadian), yes???????   :huh:

Double is $90 and Rendezvous is $130 here in Australia.  I can't bring myself to drop $130, but for $90 the Double isn't a bad rye at all.  I might have to try a shot of the Rendezvous at a local whisky bar to see if it's worth the extra $40.

$47 is a good price for Rendezvous. I'd buy several. I'm not a big fan of the Double, it's probably my least favorite HW product. 

Rendezvous for me.  I'm working through a Double in Old Fashioneds

I'm a big rye fan, and Rendezvous is one of my favorites.  Definitely worth the extra $ over the Double.

On 5/6/2016 at 0:00 PM, GeeTen said:

Hey Harry,

That's Russell's Reserve (not RR Canadian), yes???????   :huh:

Ooops, got carried away and left off a few letters. HWRR is High West Rendezvous Rye and is what I should have typed.  RR is, indeed, a generic Russell's Reserve reference (depending on which RR one is referring to).  That was my oversight.  Sorry, you all.

The rr is much nicer than the dr in my opinion. I think the saos7 rye is a closer match to the rr. The price on those is closer. Like $40 vs. $50. I still prefer the rr.

And yes, I left the hw out, but I think we could all follow that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

The rr is much nicer than the dr in my opinion. I think the saos7 rye is a closer match to the rr. The price on those is closer. Like $40 vs. $50. I still prefer the rr.

And yes, I left the hw out, but I think we could all follow that.

What you mean "we", paleface?   J/K   :lol:

9 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

POTG?

Probably . . . . . . . :)

I liked my first bottle of High West rye a lot. It was a "hand-picked" store selection, but I don't remember which HW name it had. I prefer RR to DR, but IMHO the RR is overpriced. A High West rep was in my local liquor store one day with samples, and I asked him why the RR was so expensive. He said the RR was distilled and bottled in Park City, Utah, and all the others were blends with sourced whiskey.  If this is true, you'd think it would noted on the RR label.

1 hour ago, Chuckles said:

I liked my first bottle of High West rye a lot. It was a "hand-picked" store selection, but I don't remember which HW name it had. I prefer RR to DR, but IMHO the RR is overpriced. A High West rep was in my local liquor store one day with samples, and I asked him why the RR was so expensive. He said the RR was distilled and bottled in Park City, Utah, and all the others were blends with sourced whiskey.  If this is true, you'd think it would noted on the RR label.

Wow.....I'd think a High West rep would know his product better. It's not that hard.

1 hour ago, Chuckles said:

Looks like the rep gave you bum info.  The High West website states that RR is a blend of 6 year old rye from MGP and a 16 year old rye from Barton.

The rep was probably a vendor, instead of an actual HW employee.  Not that they'd give you any better info!:blink:

If a rep's lips are moving, chances are the information you're getting from him or her is bad.

To answer the question, Double Rye is fine, but Rendezvous worth every penny, IMO.

On 5/14/2016 at 3:57 PM, Josh said:

If a rep's lips are moving, chances are the information you're getting from him or her is bad.

To answer the question, Double Rye is fine, but Rendezvous worth every penny, IMO.

I concur with Josh's answer to the original question.

Not to threadjack, but how does the RR compare to the Pikesville?  Thinking of picking up a higher end (for me) rye that is a step above Rittenhouse. . . .

While I really love RR ($51.99 OTD), me likee Pikesville, too - 110 proof (vs 100 for the BIB Rittenhouse) and 2-3 years more in age.  Refined rye spice with a long finish.  Good, if not great, juice IMHO.  $43.99 OTD up here.   :D 

Edited by GeeTen

Thanks for the feedback. I saw pikesville down the road for 34.99 so I may snag that first. I'm sure in due time I'll have both :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I saw pikesville down the road for 34.99 so I may snag that first. I'm sure in due time I'll have both :)

That is a fantastic price for Pikesville.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.