80 Proof, Yea or Nay?

SebastianLloyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I see a bottle of bourbon at 80 proof I generally think it's inferior because of all the other great offerings out there that are much higher. Higher proof, more flavour, right? And when I see a bottle of 80 proof priced over $100 I go through a "is this for real?!" moment. But now it's got me thinking. Is my stubbornness robbing me of great whiskey experiences or do most of you here share my same views? If not, what are some good higher-shelf 80 proofs out there to try?

Basil Hayden's is a very good 80 proofer.  However, at this point in my journey, I'm not buying anything at 80 proof... good or not, no matter the price.  ;)   

Excellent question IMO.  I tend to shy away from 80 proofers if only because I can find 100 proofers I really like for a comparable price/flavor ratio.  EXCEPT for the HH white label which a relative gives me every Christmas and which is gone in about three days (much to my liver's chagrin).  Some of the sub-100 Russell's are pretty good.  But, I guess I'm spoiled; as long as VOB BIB, OGD BIB, and WT101 are out there, I have trouble spending 4 times as much on an 80 proof competitor.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Spelling - I started early on my WT101 today.

Nay for me, I'm a fan of the intensity that comes with higher proofed offerings and 80 just doesn't do it, everything in that range feels really watered down and thin.

The exception I make is if its for a group, went to the lake with some friends a few weeks back and 80 pf green label HH was my choice, keeps everybody from getting too stupid (though theres always someone that tries when they see me sipping on whiskey all day and think they need to show off). To my taste the stuff from HH comes out with a better taste and more enjoyable pour at lower proof than Turkey/Beam/etc. I'm a big fan of WT101 but all their 81 offerings... I'd rather just have a coke.

Right or wrong, I associate 80 proof anything with garbage like JB and JD. BT was my gateway bourbon, and to this day I tend to use that 90 proof as my cutoff.

Nay for me.  When presented with a choice between 80 proof and 90, 100 or cask strength, I'll always choose the higher proof.  I can't even remember the last time I bough an 80 proofer

I figure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think I've ever made a purchase (or not made a purchase) based on proof.  Two of my all time favourite pours are both 80 proof - ND Old Taylor 80 proof and IW Harper 80 proof (Japan release).

The only 80 proof bourbon currently available that I'm a fan of is FRYL, which l enjoy with a cigar.  But as Cam pointed out, there've been some wonderful whiskies in the past that came in at a low proof, ND Old Taylor being one of my favorites as well. I still have a couple of handles of 80's vintage AA that are pretty nice, much better than what's on the shelf these days.

I love FRYL.  If I am planning on having a couple drinks, I prefer lower proof whiskies.  100+ proof is great, but can be something of a hassle to pour and add water in amounts that allow me to have a second or third drink and not feel terrible the next day.

All else being equal, I always favor higher proofs.  You simply get more of the barrel's precious contents in every sip.  That's what makes aged spirits great so you may as well get as much of it as possible.  ;-)

My hard cutoff is 90.  Below that the flavor is too diluted for my liking.

To address the point, yes, Bourbon can be very good at 80 proof.  None of them tempt me though, what with all the good choices in 100 proof or higher I don't look for 80 proofers either.  The $100.00 price tag sounds like watered down, over hyped stuff.  Who was the producer?

I've found that if you drink high proof whiskey all the time, then 80 and 86 proof can taste weak and watery. Give up drinking high proof stuff for a few weeks and those lower "watery" proofs can taste pretty strong. 

I've been thinking about this recently. I've never had a high proof whiskey that is bad, but is this because only better whiskey is bottled at higher proof or is there something else going on?  Is there something about high proof whiskey that masks faults? I read somewhere that distillers water the whiskey down to 60 proof when tasting it from the barrel. 

I don't consider buying 80 proof bourbon or rye anymore.  There are a couple that are ok.  Many more are bottom shelf, no matter what or how they try to market them.  Skip the 80 proof and spend your time drinking the good stuff.  You can always add your own water.

42 minutes ago, jsrudd said:

I've found that if you drink high proof whiskey all the time, then 80 and 86 proof can taste weak and watery. Give up drinking high proof stuff for a few weeks and those lower "watery" proofs can taste pretty strong. 

I've been thinking about this recently. I've never had a high proof whiskey that is bad, but is this because only better whiskey is bottled at higher proof or is there something else going on?  Is there something about high proof whiskey that masks faults? I read somewhere that distillers water the whiskey down to 60 proof when tasting it from the barrel. 

Jason Wilson who used to write a "spirits" column for the Washington Post (and who wrote a pretty fun book called "Boozehound" a few years ago) had a column or so re: the use of 80 proof spirits vs. 100 proof spirits in cocktails.  I think some others have done so as well in their cocktail books.  There is a "bump" one gets from the higher alcohol level in cocktails, kind of like salt on grilled meat, garlic on pasta, chocolate on vanilla ice cream.  It is more than ethyl alcohol; it is a chemical reaction.  Or so I tell myself.;)

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The only 80 proof bourbon currently available that I'm a fan of is FRYL, which l enjoy with a cigar.  But as Cam pointed out, there've been some wonderful whiskies in the past that came in at a low proof, ND Old Taylor being one of my favorites as well. I still have a couple of handles of 80's vintage AA that are pretty nice, much better than what's on the shelf these days.

I agree on the FRYL, other than that all my other bourbon purchases have been above 80 proof.  I have not had an 80 proof bourbon in a while, I am sure that there are wonderful bourbon out there at 80 proof.  Put it another way why buy OGD 80 proof, when for a very few dollars more you can get 100 proof or 114 proof.  Does anyone really think JD Ole No. 7 is better at 80 proof than it was at 90?

Edited by kaiserhog

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

There is a "bump" one gets from the higher alcohol level in cocktails, kind of like salt on grilled meat, garlic on pasta, chocolate on vanilla ice cream.  

Those are really good analogies. 

I've also found that, within the same style, the higher alcohol beer is often better, so maybe the concept is applicable there as well. 

I fall in the same camp as Vosgar - 4RYL is the only one I buy on purpose. If I get a hankerin' for a pour early in the afternoon on the weekend, I'll grab the yellow label. I also use it to tame some of the higher proof 4R Private Selection barrels. Otherwise, I avoid the 80 proofers because at this point, most of them have a 90 or 100 proof counterpart that I like better.

I think there was a time when 80 proofers had batter flavor than they do now - when the proof off the still was lower and barrel entry proof was lower. Those days are gone now so generally speaking, 90 proof is the lowest I go.

Here's my take on the 80-proof question.....

I have found almost no Bourbons currently available at the that minimum proof level to be worth drinking.... Especially when compared with many offerings at or above 90-proof for quite reasonable (or no) up-charges.

(One continuous exception to the 90-pr  minimum has been EWSB.    I've had quite a few very good bottles of that at 86.6.    I've had a few EXCEPTIONAL bottles, which keeps me coming back to the brand.)

I used to keep at least one bottle of 4-RYL around; but upon reading this thread I looked in my closet and: Lo & Behold NO Yellow Label.    So, I guess even that worthy offering has slipped into the 'No Buy Zone'.     I have also had Basil Hayden bottles and enjoyed 'em quite well; but haven't bought a bottle in a very long time....price being the operative factor.

So, I guess for me it's a NAY!

4RYL at 80 just tastes thin to me--like light beer. But when you reach 86.6 there is noticeably more body and flavor. I just assume that more alcohol carries more flavor. When you get up over 100, a few % one way or another becomes more difficult to detect. Can you tell 103 from 107? You can definitely tell 132 from 114. But some bourbons at higher proof don't seem as hot as others at lower proof. So, I buy barrel proof when I see it and am feeling flush. Otherwise, I am quite content in the 90 to 114 range. Proof is not my number one criterion when choosing a bourbon.

Sebastian, what 80 proof bourbon costs $100 or more in Canada?  :o The most expensive I can think of in the US are around $30.

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

Sebastian, what 80 proof bourbon costs $100 or more in Canada?  :o The most expensive I can think of in the US are around $30.

Look at the current exchange rates. $100C = $30US give or take. Or, at least, that's what my Canadian son-in-law laments.

32 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

Look at the current exchange rates. $100C = $30US give or take. Or, at least, that's what my Canadian son-in-law laments.

Woah.  No, no, no.  Right now it's about 1CAD to .78USD.  Or 1USD to 1.29CAD.  So $30 USD is about $38.70CAD...  (Or 100CAD would be about 78USD.)

Edited by dcbt

I like Basil Hayden, but haven't bought a bottle for awhile - just not enough bang for the buck.  I like some 86 proofers.  But generally i prefer 100 proof or more.

It's funny that you guys mention HH whiskies as being good examples at 80 proof because I've always said exactly the opposite. To me, their stuff sings above 90 proof but isn't worth the time at 80. Others are tolerable but I rarely bother because I'm interested in getting as close to what came out of the barrel as possible. A little water or ice may be necessary to prevent singeing the esophagus but I can set the level to my liking and it is never 80 proof.

90 proof is pretty much my benchmark minimum for all non liqueuer spirits apart from cognac and armagnac.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.