80 Proof, Yea or Nay?

SebastianLloyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, dcbt said:

Woah.  No, no, no.  Right now it's about 1CAD to .78USD.  Or 1USD to 1.29CAD.  So $30 USD is about $38.70CAD...  (Or 100CAD would be about 78USD.)

Sorry. I should have put this :D at the end of that post. But my SIL still doesn't think it's funny.

Since the title says 80 proof, I'll go with Redbreast 12.

This one helped me start my whiskey journey. 

Well it depends upon the 80 proofer.  If it is BHC I. W. Harper 15 year, it is a strong yes, for most others there is a different reply.

I've had a few 80 proofers that were okay. Aside from BH, mostly dusty stuff though. BH is kind of an odd duck to me. One time it tastes great, the next time, just so-so. :huh: I have a dusty bottle of 80 proof Barclay's that I'm having a pour from as I type this. A little on the light side, but has some good flavor characteristics. No complaints on this one.

Cheers! Joe

Flavor wise, time in the barrel can make make up for low proof. Unfortunately 80-proofers are becoming younger, Overholt, AAA, Benchmark are all 36months. I quite enjoy 86 proof Beam 12 (at 90prf it would be stellar). 

I rarely buy lower proof intentionally in whiskey anymore. The biggest exception being barrel proof whiskey at lower proof. WT Masters Keep being a recent example. Just recently bought a 9yo private select SAOS specifically because it was the lowest proof among the barrel options the store had. It was just under 100 though so not a really an extremely low proof. The other barrels were more in the 110-120 or higher range.

I have been spoiled and maybe jaded but, I am extremely leary of anything sold at 80 proof especially with a price point over $40.  There are a few exceptions to this rule but, I try to keep my purchases at 86proof at a minimum for scotch. While I feel a premium bourbon should be over 90 .  I have been known to mix some cask strength offerings with some lower proofers and have had success with some pairings. 

Nay for me. I just think 80 proofers are bland and week tasting. If I were mixing I really wouldn't care. But, I drink my bourbon neat, at room temp. I like at least 90 proof and prefer 100 or more proof for sipping. Nothing against 80 proof, it just isn't for me.

Edited by ebo
spelling

On 5/24/2016 at 10:45 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

. . . recently bought a 9yo private select SAOS specifically because it was the lowest proof among the barrel options the store had. It was just under 100 though so not a really an extremely low proof. The other barrels were more in the 110-120 or higher range.

This hit a cord.  I like the SAOS 99 proof offerings from SA better than the cask strength/barrel proofs I've bought (not that I hated the BP/CS).  I'm not sure who does their blending (John?  That you?), but I really like their 99 proof blends better.

I do like 4RYL at certain times on its own. Not often though. What I do use some 80 proofers for is for down proofing barrel proofers from the same house. Sometimes that works better than water.

I don't think I buy anything under 90 proof anymore, apart from tequila.

I bought an older Austin Nichols turkey at 80 proof recently which I'm trying to get through. You can tell they had a great liquid, but dammit, they killed it with water, and that appears to be the fact.

4RYL is a great argument, because it's "just fine". But I don't buy just fine anymore.

I believe the best bourbons pop around that traditional value of 107 proof, and I can get enthusiastic about anything from 100-110+ proof for $50 or slightly more.

Below that in proof or beyond that in price: Bunker says no. Life is good.

On May 18, 2016 at 7:58 AM, jaycamm said:

Flavor wise, time in the barrel can make make up for low proof. Unfortunately 80-proofers are becoming younger, Overholt, AAA, Benchmark are all 36months. I quite enjoy 86 proof Beam 12 (at 90prf it would be stellar). 

I'm of the same opinion, JC.  It seems the bourbon distilleries just don't have 80 proof in their consideration for their higher quality product.  Which is somewhat puzzling since 80 proof is so ubiquitous in most other spirits.  I've often wondered how some of these lesser ABV whiskies would hit me after an extended bourbonless time period.  I reckon they would show much more positively to me.

On May 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I rarely buy lower proof intentionally in whiskey anymore. The biggest exception being barrel proof whiskey at lower proof. WT Masters Keep being a recent example. Just recently bought a 9yo private select SAOS specifically because it was the lowest proof among the barrel options the store had. It was just under 100 though so not a really an extremely low proof. The other barrels were more in the 110-120 or higher range.

This made me think, if a master distiller took low entry proof barrels (let's say 90 to 100 entry proof) let them age for 10 to 12 year and the final barrel proof was 88.2p. It would seem that the 88.2p bourbon watered down to 80p would still have a very good flavor. Unlike a 125 barrel entry proof watered down to 80p. 

I have some low proof OS and WTMK but have never put water in them because it's to good out the bottle. 

Would an 80p done that away hold a lot more flavor?

(before some of you say it, I know I could do it, but I'm not)

Edited by LCWoody

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm of the same opinion, JC.  It seems the bourbon distilleries just don't have 80 proof in their consideration for their higher quality product.  Which is somewhat puzzling since 80 proof is so ubiquitous in most other spirits.  I've often wondered how some of these lesser ABV whiskies would hit me after an extended bourbonless time period.  I reckon they would show much more positively to me.

Joe, when I was without bourbon for 2 weeks in China a couple years ago, I found some Jim Beam White Label on our last day. I have to say that it never tasted so good as that night. It may have been a "heart grows fonder" situation. It may have been that a rested palate appreciates 80 proof a heck of a lot more. 

I also notice that if I spend an extended amount of time with 90 proofers (and avoid the barrel proofers) that the 90 proofers start to taste fuller. 

On 5/28/2016 at 11:54 PM, flahute said:

I also notice that if I spend an extended amount of time with 90 proofers (and avoid the barrel proofers) that the 90 proofers start to taste fuller. 

I think this is the real issue. If you drink barrel proof (or other high proof) all the time, of course 80 proof will taste pretty weak.

The same thing is true of other flavors like salty and sweet. I've lived in Japan now for about 3.5 years and certain food items that I would not have described as sweet before (like milk and strong black coffee) now taste sweet.

I used to turn up my nose at 80 proof whiskies, and even most others below 90. But Beam Black, Pikesville, and Evan Williams Single Barrel changed my mind. My cabinet is now home for a long list of sub-90 bourbons and ryes (Along with a few Canadians...). I've found enjoyment in them. Most are young, and it's often a sweet, easy to drink alternative to the heavy, hot high proof stuff. With today's distillers filtering less and barrel selection being in the pits, a lot of the higher proof stuff just seems hot and flavorless. I revisit bottles from only a few years ago and they're bold and deep. Those were the reason I loved the high proof stuff for so long. But so much high proof whiskey today is a shadow of its former self- now just cinnamon and alcohol fire. The sub-90 proof whiskies are a nice little oasis from that. I find I can sometimes enjoy them more now. Plus, I can drink a few ounces extra and not feel guilty!

Edited by ethangsmith
spelling.

Certainly flavorful 80 proof exists and not too long ago in a decent amount and selection. It seems current trends in manufacturing such as increased barrel entry proofs and bourbons popularity driving down ages have reset the bar for me at 90p. 

I can't think of any current 80 proof offerings I would buy before reaching for VOB 100p, EWBIB, HHBIB...

In short to answer your question, IMO you are not missing out and if it's a $100 80 proof bourbon we are talking about the only thing to miss is buyers remorse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2016 at 6:07 PM, squire said:

To address the point, yes, Bourbon can be very good at 80 proof.  None of them tempt me though, what with all the good choices in 100 proof or higher I don't look for 80 proofers either.  The $100.00 price tag sounds like watered down, over hyped stuff.  Who was the producer?

Sorry for getting back to you late, it's been a busy month for me. The one that was over $100 was Cedar Ridge bourbon and rye. And there is Blantons Special Reserve.

On 5/16/2016 at 11:38 AM, PaulO said:

Sebastian, what 80 proof bourbon costs $100 or more in Canada?  :o The most expensive I can think of in the US are around $30.

Government controlled liquor stores in Canada are expensive, around $10-50 more than American prices, but privately owned liquor stores are extremely expensive, with a price jump of $50-120 more than American prices (this is the case in British Columbia, it changes Provence to Provence). To answer your question, it was Cedar Ridge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.