What do you do with your empty bottles?

Golferpimp1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been wondering what others are doing with their empty bottles? Mine are starting to build up but I have a hard time tossing some of them. I see some for sale on ebay, but seems like more trouble than its worth for the bourban I buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I keep a few for vatting purposes and throw the rest in the recycling bin.

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I keep a few for vatting purposes and throw the rest in the recycling bin.

^This.

I have a few from local micro distilleries I keep just because and haven't used for vattings but no idea what I will do with them other than display them some day when I have more space or a man cave of sorts.

I recycle them in the recycle bin at work.  I love dropping multiple empty bottles into the bin and hearing my co-workers speculate on where they came from. 

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I recycle them in the recycle bin at work.  I love dropping multiple empty bottles into the bin and hearing my co-workers speculate on where they came from. 

lol, at the park where I walk/ride for my daily exercise I have often seen a guy drive up, get out, and throw bag fulls of whiskey bottles in the trash cans there.  Not sure if he is hiding them from his wife or the trash man.  :D

I used to waste a bunch of time and effort pulling the labels off to eventually maybe someday make a tasting notes log.

Now I just toss them in the recycling bin.  If it's a particularly valuable bottle, I mark up/cut up the labels to make sure no one uses them for any funny business. 

Some 750s become decanters for handles because, well, they are easier to handle. Some become decanters for other liquids such as olive oil or chive blossom vinegar. Most go in the recycling bin even though it is sad to part with a good looking bottle. Just can't think of enough uses for Blanton's and RHF bottles. Even WT RR has a simple but pleasing shape. Sigh.

I made a candle of a WLW bottle.  I want to eventually have a candle line up of the BTAC collection.  Other than that I throw them away.

I have saved a few for some future projects, but toss the rest of them in the trash.

BTW and not to veer too much off-topic, I heard last week that our local recycler/trash collector will no longer accept glass bottles in the recycling bin.  I believe that it is no longer economically viable for them to recycle them.  Any other areas seeing this?

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I have saved a few for some future projects, but toss the rest of them in the trash.

BTW and not to veer too much off-topic, I heard last week that our local recycler/trash collector will no longer accept glass bottles in the recycling bin.  I believe that it is no longer economically viable for them to recycle them.  Any other areas seeing this?

Yes.  However, in our area a couple of small companies have sprung up to meet the demand for curbside service.  The two I've seen provide their own bins and are pulling a small specialty trailer made for glass.

26 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sort of. It is not "economically viable" to recycle paper but our garbage guys continue to do it because it is perceived to be virtuous in its own right. "Sure we'er losing money but we're saving the planet here! Besides, it's not our money we're losing." 

I will say that Elijah Craig bottles make excellent piggy banks.  

I keep a few around just in case I need the occasional "emergency" bottle, the rare vatting or to fill with cocktail supplies for a party like fresh lemon/lime juice, simple syrups or infusions.

I tend lately to keep bottles with a good screw top. Japanese whisky seem the best if it isn't too peaty. Also Rittenhouse bottles are decent. And I tend to hang onto smaller bottles like the BT BTEC bottles or flask shaped pint bottles that are 200ml to 375 ml. Those are good for travel when you don't want to bring a whole bottle and/or want a bit of variety, which for me is almost always the case! Easier to pack, harder to break. Plastic bottles are probably safer but I don't really like plastic for booze when I can avoid it. No good reason, just seems a bit chintzy somehow.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I have a dozen or so screw top ones in several sizes for vatting/experimentation; but, other than that bunch (some in various stages of capacity) I just toss 'em in the recycle bin as I empty 'em.

The more rare/expensive/collectible ones, I deface the labels first, although that does seem a bit anal.   Oh well, for sure nobody can re-use/re-sell 'em that way.

I heard the same thing out of Gwinnett County over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Heard from my Dad recently that they don't take glass anymore where he lives in northern Ohio (about an hour south of Cleveland).

They still take it here. I also live in a place with particularly high green aspirations so I don't see them ever discontinuing the practice. Thus, most of mine hit the recycling bin.

Like others I save a few for vattings. I'm saving my BTAC bottles to eventually have the tops cut off so I can turn them into drinking glasses.

Our county has what they call single stream recycling, they accept paper, plastic and metal all in the same bin. No glass accepted.

I toss doubles but try to keep one of each. Also some full ones mixed in there.

IMG_20160226_201255.jpg

IMG_20160226_201311.jpg

IMG_20160226_201224.jpg

A little collection hobby now, I take the label off and put on one from years gone by. Will never sell them so I don't think I'm breaking any laws, but who knows. Keeps me occupied and in the basement away from 3 teen girls and more drama than TNT can shake a stick at.

IMG_20160606_154013.jpg

Edited by mark fleetwood

They get thrown out in the trash - just like all other bottles that I empty.

I've saved a few empties now and then, but most make the trip to the recycle bin. I like to keep 375's and bottles like ETL to decant in. They fit better on my shelves and in my cabinet. Some of my more "interesting" empties I've saved for a couple folks that I know collect them. (I haven't forgot about you Don. ;)) FWIW, I also have a few more recent empties that I'll be sending to someone. They're getting married and will be using the bottles as centerpieces at the reception. Cool idea. 

Cheers! Joe

Hey Joe, when ever you get around this part of town....or if you just want to take a road trip. I have some space left, have to put in a few more shelves. I posted this pic a while back, but here is a updated pic of my bottle overflow.

bottles.jpg

Some that seal particularly well, I've saved for vatting (Like Rock Hill Farms bottles).

Bought some Tiki wicks and copper fittings to turn a couple into Citronella candles for the back patio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.