Your "Forest Gump" bourbon?

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Is 107 low proof?

You beat me to the punch.  How you gonna pile on a age stated (7yr) 107 proof bourbon?:huh:

21 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Is 107 low proof?

Nice catch Kepler!

I meant Basil Hayden's. (Like I tell my kids, don't listen to what I'm saying, listen to what I THINK I'm saying.)

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

You beat me to the punch.  How you gonna pile on a age stated (7yr) 107 proof bourbon?:huh:

Making mistakes is one of the few talents I possess! Meant Basil Hayden's. 

No argument here about Bakers. only wonder when they're going to start naming batches like Bookers. Probably name each batch after each Catholic family that migrated west with Hayden Sr.(no offense intended.)

Ahh now that does make sense. I sometimes used to get them mixed up too.  Too many "B's" in the family!

Plus I sort of get what you mean about the scary packaging, like clowns, haha.

^^^The clowns reference totally makes sense now... and, I actually like BH. 

Just not enough to buy it! 

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^The clowns reference totally makes sense now... and, I actually like BH. 

Just not enough to buy it! 

Ha!    Yeah, me too!!!

• 1 month later...

Has to be Bulleit, for me.  Something makes me shy away from that brand, like I shy away from a poison ivy plant.  I just turn and walk the other way......

On 6/10/2016 at 6:41 PM, mosugoji64 said:

A trusted source told me I should try Old Overholt  and as I've never done so, I may give it a whirl.

OO is the only bottle Ive ever considered pouring down the drain.  Please try in a bar before purchasing a bottle.  You may like it.  I could barely choke it down with coke.

1 hour ago, jonhalter said:

OO is the only bottle Ive ever considered pouring down the drain.  Please try in a bar before purchasing a bottle.  You may like it.  I could barely choke it down with coke.

I can't recommend Overholt, either.  But, my own experience with it is not that it is bad, it's just that it is simply beyond boring.  

I can't recommend Overholt, either.  But, my own experience with it is not that it is bad, it's just that it is simply beyond boring.  

The last bottle that I bought some years ago ended up in the wife's "ginger & rye" stock. Very very blah.

After trying rye from other producers, I think I like Beam's (including OO) about the least.  It has this peanut shell taste, not really in my wheel house.

I would say my Forest Gump would be MM Cask Strength.  I am a big fan of wheaters.  Still I pass it all the time.  The cheapest I've seen was $50 on sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, PaulO said:

I would say my Forest Gump would be MM Cask Strength.  I am a big fan of wheaters.  Still I pass it all the time.  The cheapest I've seen was $50 on sale.

Do yourself a favor and splurge for a change. I'm not a huge wheater fan (but I have nothing against them either) but I am really impressed by it. After trying it I'd be surprised if someone doesn't question why we bother trying to chase down Weller 12, Pappy, and William Larue, when this stuff can be found at every liquor store for $50 to $55. 

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Do yourself a favor and splurge for a change. I'm not a huge wheater fan (but I have nothing against them either) but I am really impressed by it. After trying it I'd be surprised if someone doesn't question why we bother trying to chase down Weller 12, Pappy, and William Larue, when this stuff can be found at every liquor store for $50 to $55. 

Agreed; wheated bourbons are not my first choice except on hot days.  MMCS is the one exception and is a regular for me.  With MMCS, as I posted elsewhere, I like how I can play with how much water/ice I add to match a mood.

I'll add to the discussion here as well I don't particularly care for regular makers mark, but really enjoy the MMCS. It is significantly better and worth having around if youndontmind the premium price. 

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:38 PM, JoeTerp said:

any Wild Turkey product

My man Wild Turkey knows what they are doing, you might want to take the plunge. But mine would be regular Evan Williams

2 hours ago, NuttyFinish said:

My man Wild Turkey knows what they are doing, you might want to take the plunge. But mine would be regular Evan Williams

I'll definitely take the plunge at some point.  I am very intrigued by Rare Breed after all of the positive talk that came up on the Booker's vs. Rare Breed thread.

Add another one for Rock Hill Farms, just always passed over it for no particular reason.

21 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'll definitely take the plunge at some point.  I am very intrigued by Rare Breed after all of the positive talk that came up on the Booker's vs. Rare Breed thread.

Rare breed in in my top 5 for sure,  hell Wild Turkey 101 is probably in my top 25. All the Russells I've tryed are disco too, like I said they know what they are doing over there 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.