What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

One of my buddies brought this back from Hawaii for me recently. He was at Honolulu, I think this distillery is on the same island. I like it. I wish the bottle was bigger (he said they only sold 375) because it would make an awesome decanter.IMG_20190710_193610915.jpg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, jwperry said:

One of my buddies brought this back from Hawaii for me recently. He was at Honolulu, I think this distillery is on the same island. I like it. I wish the bottle was bigger (he said they only sold 375) because it would make an awesome decanter.IMG_20190710_193610915.jpg

Yeah the bottles they use are real nice. We stopped there when we were in Hawaii, it's a fun place to visit. We brought home one of these, which I think was aged for a few years in bourbon barrels, and anther one, which was barrel proof and aged (or maybe finished?) in Islay Scotch barrels. The Scotch barrel one was my favorite. The brand is a bit expensive because they're 375ml and cost about as much as a decent 750ml bottle, but it's a good experience if you're ever out there.

You can do a tasting and try fresh pressed cane juice, and some of the unaged versions of the different varieties of cane that they grow on site. It's really neat to see how the different canes create different flavor profiles in the spirit, but the unaged stuff was pretty much all jet fuel. It really makes a huge transformation when it's aged for even just a few years.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

but the unaged stuff was pretty much all jet fuel. 

And that's bad somehow???? 

:D

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And that's bad somehow???? 

:D

Thats wut I was thinkin

• I like it 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

If you make it to the big island there is a new rum distillery on the Kona coast that David Perkins (formerly owner of High West) is working with that might have some interesting rums. If not they may be available on the other islands. Would almost have to be more authentic and certainly more Hawaiian than Zacapa! Although admittedly that is a low bar...

Kuleana Rum Works

They currently have a blanc aricole that they made with an aged version on the way as well as a blend of their own rum with some unusual young sourced rums. How often do you see  Papua New Guinea as a source???

I’m happy to check out the options, but I doubt i’ll be able to on this trip. Options have certainly been limited. Wailea Wine was my best option and their prices are 30% high.

Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 15 for $60 apiece? Ouch!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nomad said:

My absolute favorite! Would love to find another bottle.

To be honest I find it difficult to distinguish between Criterion, 2004, and 2005. But then I've only had them separately with considerable time gaps in between, so this is just going by memory.

Edit: Damn, I have a 2004 stashed! SBS coming soon.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 3

Been working through a jug of juice making Rum Painkillers.  First with a blend of MA and Jamaica rums and then with Pusser's Gunpowder proof.  Easily my favorite way to get hammered and plastered. 

Tonight is the last night of this bender.  Woof. 

Anybody know if the US releases of Rhum JM follow a general calendar? 

I am itching for another bottle of the finest agricole I've ever tried! 

To be honest I find it difficult to distinguish between Criterion, 2004, and 2005. But then I've only had them separately with considerable time gaps in between, so this is just going by memory.

Edit: Damn, I have a 2004 stashed! SBS coming soon.
I've never had Criterion, but I find the 2005 has less "funk" than 2004 for me.

I've been on a Revelation kick the last few days.

Very good stuff! I’ve got a couple of bottles, but wish I could find a few more.

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Very good stuff! I’ve got a couple of bottles, but wish I could find a few more.

It's one of my very favorites, I think I've got one open and five sealed in the closet. It's still available at some stores here in CA, I think most people have no clue what it is.

• I like it 2

On 6/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, HoustonNit said:

Jealous, googled Smith and Cross it doesn’t appear to be distributed in my area. Too bad.

I used to buy it at Spec's.

I used to buy it at Spec's.

Thanks, I believe Kevinbrink and Wadewpod pointed me in the right direction. I think this will likely be my next run purchase.

We don't get much in the way of exotic rum here, but Smith & Cross is pretty easy to find. I think it's very hard to beat it for quality vs price. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Change of pace from Guyana-- shame that I'll have to leave the bulk of this bottle with housekeeping…

1581483848_IMG_22751.thumb.jpg.94d3119d13bf042f4a261b51da7aefb8.jpg

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Change of pace from Guyana-- shame that I'll have to leave the bulk of this bottle with housekeeping…

1581483848_IMG_22751.thumb.jpg.94d3119d13bf042f4a261b51da7aefb8.jpg

A shame indeed! Who wouldn't want a bottle with a label that cheesy...

I forget why you are having to leave it. Because of weight? Not possible to ship some bottles home to yourself? Given what you have seen it is unfortunate you can't keep more of the bottles!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A shame indeed! Who wouldn't want a bottle with a label that cheesy...

I forget why you are having to leave it. Because of weight? Not possible to ship some bottles home to yourself? Given what you have seen it is unfortunate you can't keep more of the bottles!

I don’t mind leaving it as long as I have a good feel for what it tastes like. Looks like I’m only bringing three bottles back— which may be down to two if I can’t make everything fit. Walked away from some serious, serious temptation at the Robert Graham 1874 shop today.

17 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I don’t mind leaving it as long as I have a good feel for what it tastes like. Looks like I’m only bringing three bottles back— which may be down to two if I can’t make everything fit. Walked away from some serious, serious temptation at the Robert Graham 1874 shop today.

Pull the trigger on that Karuizawa Noh 1981 35 Year Old - you know you want too! :-0

Finally— straight ex-bourbon maturation sans secondary finishing and a well-suited proof. A benchmark for the brand that somewhat came across as a Total Wine private label. 

B187C3F9-561D-43B2-9001-F20396867682.thumb.jpeg.0cadcb6f69175a697163ac0a2d723545.jpeg

• I like it 3

Finally— straight ex-bourbon maturation sans secondary finishing and a well-suited proof. A benchmark for the brand that somewhat came across as a Total Wine private label. 

B187C3F9-561D-43B2-9001-F20396867682.thumb.jpeg.0cadcb6f69175a697163ac0a2d723545.jpeg

Want this, I’ll be on the lookout at my local Total Wine. How’s the pricing compared to the like Foursquare 2005, 2007?

50 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Want this, I’ll be on the lookout at my local Total Wine. How’s the pricing compared to the like Foursquare 2005, 2007?

This release seems so limited, that Total Wine may not even carry it. Bottle was

$75.00— which seems in line for a non-solera age stated rum with balls.