What beer are you enjoying? Summer '16

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well it has been summer for some time, time for an update.  I'm enjoying a Bell's Saturn.  A Barleywine aged in bourbon barrels.  Released about a year ago I put in a lot of effort to get as many bottles as I could and I'm pleased that I did.  I wish I could have gotten more.  Damn this is good.  Time to kick back and enjoy.

Having Maine Beer Co. Lunch IPA. I constantly see this rated as a 98/100 or one of the best IPAs, but I don't get it. I think their MO Pale Ale is much better.

I opened a bottle of what I thought was a coffee stout from Fremont.  Little did I know until I opened it that it was Fremont Dark Star BBA Coffee.  I didn't realize it was barrel aged.  I guess I should read labels a little closer.  I got it in a beer trade and I thought it was a throw in.  Turns out it's a top 150 beer on BeerAdvocate.  It's very delicious but the 22 ounces of 14% abv is kicking my butt right now.

I was at a store with single bottles for sale, and picked up a "not your father's root beer". I don't even know if it counts as a beer. It was pretty horrible.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2016 at 2:45 PM, ebo said:

Rolling Rock in a can. What can I say.... it was $15.00 for a 30 pack.;)

Ah, memories, fuzzy as they are.  Back then, it was cases of 24 12OZ bottles.  Thanks.

Ah, memories, fuzzy as they are.  Back then, it was cases of 24 12OZ bottles.  Thanks.

It must have been more popular than I thought then. I remember my first college party being rolling rock in a bottle. That was basically the premium beer back then. Natty light, Busch, and PBR most times.

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Back in the college days we'd get Ballentine at 99 cents/6-pack.  How crazy was that?

7 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Back in the college days we'd get Ballentine at 99 cents/6-pack.  How crazy was that?

Red Dog 12 packs for me. Uncommonly Smooth

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

It must have been more popular than I thought then. I remember my first college party being rolling rock in a bottle. That was basically the premium beer back then. Natty light, Busch, and PBR most times.

We may have been in college at the same time. That's similar to my experience as well. Throw in Milwaukee's Best (the beast!) as a cheapo and shiner as a premium (local.) looking back at it, though, it seems odd now how popular RR was, esp down here in Tx. I haven't had it since college...

Edited by dcbt

Did my usual 5K run this morning, then cleaned the house while chasing around our 1.5 year old. It feels good to sit down. Finally lunch time. Throwing back some shiners while enjoying some shiner sausage. Delicious. Eyeing some Rahr Summer Wheat for desert when I plop in the pool.

Might be. I was in college from 1997 until 2000 in MO.

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

Might be. I was in college from 1997 until 2000 in MO.

Yup, me too (actually 95-00). But in Tx.

Lol.... glad I could bring back some memories for some of you. RR really isn't bad for the price. In my day, Little Kings ruled. :D

Not exactly local but locally available.

[IMG]

Appearance: Nice light gold, attractive white cap and good lacing.

Aroma: Malt first followed by a fuller sensation of hops that are earthy and spicy in a rounded out sort of way. The hops don't hit you like so many Session IPAs, rather cover my sense of scent like a comfy blanket.

Taste: Rather nice as these Session IPAs go, it actually has some malt with the hops. At 6.3% it's got some stuffing to product all those fermentables and it shows. Hardly a session beer at this strength but I guess that's the marketing division input. Doesn't really stand out in the hops department but what's there is flavorful and present in a non threatening sort of way. I think my Bud Light friends might like this but they would get whacked pretty quickly.

Texture: Medium

Overall: A sensory flavor impact reminiscent of AALs yet something different. Malt without being malty and hops without being hoppy. A tweener. Not first rank but lower the price and it may prove popular.

21 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Had an Odell's Tree Shaker IPA. 

Love this juicy beer

How is the peachiness in this one Papa? Consider highly some  of  the Odell beers, especially the IPA and Double Pilsner. They still aren't distributed in Illinois but will be enjoying a few on my annual Colorado trip coming up soon. 

5 hours ago, T Comp said:

How is the peachiness in this one Papa? Consider highly some  of  the Odell beers, especially the IPA and Double Pilsner. They still aren't distributed in Illinois but will be enjoying a few on my annual Colorado trip coming up soon. 

It's juicy and fruity. Not much peach though . More citrus flavor than peach to me. 

Guess des I need another today and follow up

Picked up sixer of Shiner Prickly Pear recently (summertime seasonal brew).  I might as well be drinking grape soda.  Just awful.

Having a fantastic long time favorite this beatiful summer day. It's 25 Celsius, I'm enjoying a couple bombers of Unibroue La Fin Du Monde.  This.... Is HIGHLY recommended!!!!!! One of the best Canadian beers ever made!!! The master brewer is a genius!!! Yep it is 9.5 percent ABV, but tastes like a 6.5. She creeps on you.

Edited by R-Savage

• 2 weeks later...

Another winner from Southern Prohibition Brewery in Hattiesburg, MS.

Crowd Control Imperial IPA

8% ABV, heavy hops

e1bfe844cda2995c-CrowdControlCan.png    

Appearance: Light hazy gold, bountiful white cap with good lacing.

Aroma: Citrus hops first, rather dense hop aroma giving off notes of grapefruit zest, lemon oil, woodsy, earthy and a brightness that seems spicy but really isn't spice. Good depth to the hops but little malt apparent.

Taste: The malt contributes mostly to the body and as a carrier for the hops which it does rather well serving as a launch platform rather than substantially contributing to the flavor. Good integration of taste sensations here, fairly complex. No alcohol apparent, clean finish with lingering hop aftertaste.

Texture: Medium to full.

Overall: Good product here which starts with a sense of complexity and carries that through the end. This is an Imperial style (8%) with a big hop wallop and the feeling you're drinking something substantial that isn't overwhelming. Strength with restraint yet satisfying. Easy to enjoy more than one but if you're going to session this Bad Boy plan to stay put.

Enjoying Blueberry Ephemere from Unibroue. Fantastic Summer beer. Cheers SB

IMG_20160729_135406.jpg

Tonight it's a barrel-aged Chubna from Oskar Blues that I picked up in Denver on my way back from Yellowstone. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.