Booker's or Wild Turkey Rare Breed?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interested in seeing what your favorite is between the two and why?

i love Bookers and have yet to try the Rare Breed.

I would have to go with the rare breed. It just has a great sweet taste that is hard to find a parallel. The bookers is also good, but I tend to drink it only when I have a taste for it.

I keep both on hand and open.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Personally I'd go for Baker's over both. But between the 2, Rare Breed over Booker's. As b1gcountry said, it has that sweet taste. 

I would grab Booker's over Rare Breed most of the time; however a consideration for many is price.    Booker's beats RB in proof, but also represents a $15 or more up-charge.    So it comes down to which profile and/or strength I'm looking for at the time I'm pouring.    If higher proof, and/or less spice-to-sweet ratio, (& cost was no concern) I'd grab Booker's.    If a spicier profile, and a little more oak is what I'm seeking, then the Rare Breed would get tipped over.

I love both, but Booker's is too expensive for me to buy regularly. I almost always have a bottle of Rare Breed on hand.

Tim

I'd say bookers, but probably because I've had more bookers than WTRB.  WTRB is hit or miss for me, but Booker's is always hit!  I can also usually find it at Costco ($47) or on sale somewhere else for less than $50.

Bookers, I like both very much but it doesn't take quite as large a pour of Bookers to satisfy me as it does WTRB.

That's like trying to choose a favorite child.  It really just depends on the day and moods.  ;)

For me, it depends on the mood and circumstances. Kinda like asking me to choose between two genres of music. Am I working out, mowing the grass, kicking the feet up after a long day at work?

More often than not, I'd reach for Booker's. I am fond of saying "Booker's makes me smile" if for no other reason than the higher proof and the warm "Kentucky Hug" it gives me. 

Booker's for me - some WT I really like and others just don't "hit" for me WT101 and RB are two in that category

I'm somewhat surprised at the price difference I'm hearing about. Around MO Booker's can be found around $40 without looking too hard. Rare Breed is hard to find below that. The standard prices are around $48 for Booker's and $43 for RB.

16 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I'm somewhat surprised at the price difference I'm hearing about. Around MO Booker's can be found around $40 without looking too hard. Rare Breed is hard to find below that. The standard prices are around $48 for Booker's and $43 for RB.

MO and MN have very low prices on the higher end Beam products for some reason. It's quite different elsewhere in the country.

I love WTRB - it's one of my favorites and in constant rotation. If I have to choose based on head to head taste only, I think Booker's is the better bourbon, but not by a lot. As others have said, it's like choosing a favorite child.

Around here, WTRB can be had for just over half the price of Booker's so for that reason, I buy more of the WTRB on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I wish the same were true here in Central Florida. The cheapest I've found Bookers is $56.99 and for WTRB it's usually in the $39-$49 range. 

I'd say take advantage of where we live and do both.  Out of the WT "higher end" lines I've tried: RRSBSB10 and WTKS as well and for me, WTRB was king.  If you've never tried WTRB, I'd recommend picking up a bottle, it's worth it and not something you'll regret.

I've tried Booker's (both center cut and noe secret) and will echo what others have said in that it depends on the mood/taste.  

Edited by fenderbender4

WTRB for me.  Quite simply, out of fondness and high regard for 'old' Turkey's of days gone by, I am a Turkey man.  I find some of the qualities of the 'old' Turkey still existent in this brand, and for that I am thankful.   

Ok, I broke down and bought a bottle of WTRB yesterday and did a side by side tasting .

i totally get what most of you are saying about them. It depends on your mood. 

I think they are both great bourbons and I will keep both of them open on my bar all the time. 

I love the thick syrupy nectar of bookers with a splash of water. 

RB is just perfect neat.  It has a sweet arrival and then gets a bit spicy. Love the long finish on the rare breed.

keep your comments coming , I love to read them. 

Cheers!!!

Edited by BigPapa

I haven't tried Booker's, so I can't speak to taste. But you can almost buy 2 WTRB for the price of one Booker's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

The last time I noticed the Booker's price here, it was $60.

Tim

Another guy from the "have both" camp. Even my Booker's is gone right now (but I have a KCSB 120 Proof open which is slightly similiar) just as my WTRB. I definitely will buy a bottle of each soon again. They are both great but definitely different. I am big Turkey Fan here with the WT101 8 and 12 year being some of the finest stuff ever made imo. Booker's and OGD BiB on the other hand is the best of Beam's rooster to me. 

Rare Breed neat for me. Booker's with a few drops of water. 

On 7/15/2016 at 9:17 AM, mortre said:

I haven't tried Booker's, so I can't speak to taste. But you can almost buy 2 WTRB for the price of one Booker's.

The OP and I are both fortunate to live in a state where you can find Booker's for around $40.  Rare breed slightly less but the difference in price is <$10.  That said, there are definitely places that jack up Booker's to close to $60.

The OP and I are both fortunate to live in a state where you can find Booker's for around $40.  Rare breed slightly less but the difference in price is

That would be nice. Prices here are $44 for WTRB and $80 for Bookers out the door at the local Total Wine.

Since high proof, quality bourbon is a luxury item, I'm surprised at the number of people who cite the cost difference between Booker's and Rare Breed as a criteria for which is their favorite.  If the question was about value, price would be a more important part of the decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.