Booker's or Wild Turkey Rare Breed?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interesting choice to compare. I'd rate Booker's higher than Rare Breed because I find it more interesting and complex. And I'm a big Turkey fan, so there.

Where I live Bookers is typically $10-15 more expensive. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Interesting choice to compare. I'd rate Booker's higher than Rare Breed because I find it more interesting and complex. And I'm a big Turkey fan, so there.

Where I live Bookers is typically $10-15 more expensive. 

I'd agree to a certain extent, although having a pour at a bar of Booker's kind of diminished it in my book.  Maybe I just didn't like that particular batch they carried.  Or it could have been the cube I had thrown in (as I didn't want to be "that guy").  I should have known better from my home experiences.  I prefer Booker's neat.

But the complexity and interest of Booker's kind of reinforces the "mood difference" in taste.  Sometimes I want simple, but good quality.  So RB would be the choice in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, fenderbender4 said:

But the complexity and interest of Booker's kind of reinforces the "mood difference" in taste.  Sometimes I want simple, but good quality.  So RB would be the choice in that scenario.

I couldn't agree more. A high quality "traditional" bourbon like Rare Breed always works well and doesn't depend on mood. It's the better "daily pour" in that regard. But when rating them head to head as the OP requested, I'll still prefer the one with the higher upside because it delivers the goods for me.

24 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I couldn't agree more. A high quality "traditional" bourbon like Rare Breed always works well and doesn't depend on mood. It's the better "daily pour" in that regard. But when rating them head to head as the OP requested, I'll still prefer the one with the higher upside because it delivers the goods for me.

Yeah...if someone were to give me a bottle of either for free...yeah Booker's.  For sure.

These are interesting takes on the differences. I actually considered a sbs last night. The wife is going or tonight, so maybe tonight.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Since high proof, quality bourbon is a luxury item, I'm surprised at the number of people who cite the cost difference between Booker's and Rare Breed as a criteria for which is their favorite.  If the question was about value, price would be a more important part of the decision.

I look at quality, value and availability when deciding on a favorite personally, but we will all have our own criteria. So it's probably good that the OP asked us to answer why we choose as we do. [emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My first ER10 and 4RSmB SBS went well, so:

6bd8c4444227d7957c0ddacff85f5809.jpg

Tiny pours of both. I treated the bookers straight because it was a tiny pour, but I normally add a little ice. The RB I usually drink neat.

I agree with what everyone says again. Both are great. Both are different. The bookers had complexity and tons of flavor. The RB stood up even going after the bookers. Side by side it did accentuate that wild turkey funk that I'm not a big fan of, but isn't very noticeable in rare breed.

I was drinking from an older bottle of rare breed. It is the 108 proof batch from a couple years ago. I like the newer 112 proof just as much, but for different reasons. The 108 proof seems more subtle, where the 112 is just huge on the brown sugar. To me at least.

Of course, now I realize I really need to taste them blind and figure out how I really think about them :)

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Tiny pours of both. I treated the bookers straight because it was a tiny pour, but I normally add a little ice. The RB I usually drink neat.

I agree with what everyone says again. Both are great. Both are different. The bookers had complexity and tons of flavor. The RB stood up even going after the bookers. Side by side it did accentuate that wild turkey funk that I'm not a big fan of, but isn't very noticeable in rare breed.

I was drinking from an older bottle of rare breed. It is the 108 proof batch from a couple years ago. I like the newer 112 proof just as much, but for different reasons. The 108 proof seems more subtle, where the 112 is just huge on the brown sugar. To me at least.

Of course, now I realize I really need to taste them blind and figure out how I really think about them :)

Thanks for doing it and sharing your thoughts!  I do like the fact that both are quality bourbons, higher proof, and also readily available.  Usually you can only get 2 out of those 3 if you're lucky.  Sometimes none at all...

It was a big sacrifice on my part, I tell you...

Honestly the Bookers is above my comfort level for proof even though I still like it. My sweet spot is between 90 and 110 most days.

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I absolutely agree with everything.

• 3 weeks later...

1st off if we are comparing bourbons, I don't factor in price, especially if it's only like 15 bucks. With that being said, my thoughts on these 2 is WTRB is one of my favorites, I love everything about it. And bookers, even though I've had a bad bottle, usely never disappoints. Really hard to compare these 2 for me cause they are both top 10 in my book. I know that's no help but, I'd do a pour of each every nite and be just fine with that 

This isn't even close in my opinion. Rare Breed is the hands down winner. Beats Bookers on price, taste, and quality any day of the week. Not saying Bookers is bad because it most certainly is not. But in most states WTRB is at least $10-$15 cheaper and while it is a little lower in proof, it is nice and smooth and has more depth in flavor than Bookers. Of course this is just one persons option. Do with it what you like.

If I was sitting in a bar, and they had both available, I think I'm going with Bookers more often than WTRB.  Depends on the mood I guess, but I really enjoy Bookers.  I got a lot of sweet chocolate notes there, where WTRB for me is more of a contemplative pour.  Both are excellent, and I'm also in the camp of "get both", but if you're really not sure or price is a challenge - get a 50 mL of both and do a blind SBS comparison.  Honestly, I avoided WT101 for a bit because the experience of many on this forum at the time was unimpressed (and as many of them had been drinking it for some time, I know understand why they felt that way!)  But I did a blind SBS of several whiskies right around 100 proof and found WT101 was my favorite almost every time.  

I'm a huge fan of WTRB.  I've killed more bottles of that than anything else.  Booker's is good, but I just reach for WTRB all the time. 

I like RB over Booker's. Booker's can be hot at times, never had that with the RB.

Bookers for me. It has a one of a kind flavor, it is complex and has a thick oily mouth feel that WTRB just does not have.

11 hours ago, Scotch Neat said:

Bookers for me. It has a one of a kind flavor, it is complex and has a thick oily mouth feel that WTRB just does not have.

I have now had both bottles for about a month now. The both are great for different reasons, but overall it's Bookers for me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.